Faulty PSU melted CPU connector pins into socket?

ChickenLicker

Prominent
May 10, 2017
I've been struggling with problems with my self-built PC almost since I first put it together. Initially I thought the problem was with my GPU, and sent it back to the company I purchased it from, only to find that they said it wasn't faulty. I assumed it was still a problem with the GPU, and continued to suffer periodic freezes, crashes, and most recently unexpected black screens that the PC didn't always recognize as crashes.

Eventually, earlier today, the PC got to the point where it was going black and crashing any time I would start it up. I tried futzing about with it, trying different components, but became increasingly convinced that the problem was with the PSU. Eventually I went to remove my (presumed faulty) PSU, in order to replace it with a backup. I found the CPU connector incredibly difficult to remove from the motherboard, and when I finally got it out, four of the pins had roughly half of the plastic missing from them! On inspection, it seems to have melted into the CPU socket.

Is this something that can happen with a faulty PSU? Is there any way to remove the plastic from the CPU socket, or is the motherboard useless now?

Thank you in advance for your replies!

ChickenLicker

Prominent
May 10, 2017

The PSU is a Corsair Cs750m

CPU - AMD FX-9370
Kraken water cooler
GPU - Radeon R9 390

Anything else you might need to know?

ChickenLicker

Prominent
May 10, 2017

Back when I first started building PCs, Corsair was one of the better PSU manufacturers! I had no idea that they use cheap capacitors and are generally substandard these days!

if it looks melted...make a claim with the power supply comp. call and speak with a customer relation person. if they wont help try the mb comp. that connector can be replaced and they do sell them. a local pc shop should for a few bucks swap it out for you. the issue is anything else damaged from the bad power supply??

ChickenLicker

Prominent
May 10, 2017

A good question. I suspect that other components could in fact have unreasonable wear and tear on them due to the faulty PSU. Also, I'm worried that because customer service in the UK is so shabby, they might not be willing to admit to any fault!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

The motherboard? It may be significant you have a 9370 in there; the 9370/9590 shouldn't be run without a top-notch motherboard, cooling solution, and power supply. OK, that's a lie -- the 9370/9590 shouldn't actually be run ever -- but if you're using one for some reason, you need to be using a first-class power delivery system.

Honestly, I'm not sure the PSU is at fault here. Those old Great Wall-made Corsair CSs were far from the worst PSUs in the world, but they had no business being used in one of those 220W monstrosities. If your subcompact car breaks down trying to tow a house, it's not really the car's fault. And if the power supply is of this quality, I'm having serious concerns about the quality of the motherboard.

ChickenLicker

Prominent
May 10, 2017

Sure, it's a Gigabyte 990fx-gaming

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Better than I suspected, so that's good news.

ChickenLicker

Prominent
May 10, 2017

Sorry, navigating this site on mobile is frustrating, I'm not sure how to reply to your subsequent reply - glad the motherboard is decent, at least!

TRENDING THREADS