Question Faulty PSU or what is going on?

Evolee

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
Hi everybody!

So two days ago my computer was fine, but yesterday my friends told me my microphone (HyperX Cloud 2) was buzzing like crazy.
I noticed that if I put the headset away (put it on the table) the buzzing would go much quieter, but as soon as my hand even got near it
it would buzz alot again.

Now, if I was wearing the headset and put a hand on my case, the buzzing would go much quieter again, indicating that some sort of
grounding issue is present.

But here is the thing. I experienced 2 random crashes yesterday (which I havent gotten before) and a random system lock-up.
The crashes didnt give me BSOD, but simply froze the system for 3-4 seconds and then rebooted.
At the lockup, i eventually had to hold down the power switch untill it turned off, and when it had restarted my keyboard (a corsair strafe rgb)
had deleted my lighting setup presets and was now doing the default rainbow colors.

I tried to replug all the cables in the computer and ensured that all the cables in the back was firmly connected; didnt help.
I turned down my CPU (i5 2500k) from the OC 4.3 ghz to default settings; didnt resolve issue either.

My system is very old (like 8 years or so) and the PSU is a Corsair RM750 (equally old).
Only new thing in the system is the GPU which is a Gigabyte 1060 Ti OC.

Being a poor student, I am trying to pin-point what the issue is before replacing parts. As for now, I am quite certain that I need to get a new PSU
but I just wanted to check in with you guys to see if you have arrived at somewhat the same conclusion...

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
AFAIK:

1. Crashes that happen after freezes (i.e. the game or screen freezes and sound plays on then you have to restart) are the cause of faulty RAM.

2. Unstable OC usually produces STOP 124 BSOD's.

Run memtest for like 12 hours overnight.

I have to say tho, bc I've been through a batch of faulty GSKILL memory, it didn't give me any errors in MEMTEST, it just randomly froze my system and I had to reboot.

Evolee

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
AFAIK:

1. Crashes that happen after freezes (i.e. the game or screen freezes and sound plays on then you have to restart) are the cause of faulty RAM.

2. Unstable OC usually produces STOP 124 BSOD's.

Run memtest for like 12 hours overnight.

I have to say tho, bc I've been through a batch of faulty GSKILL memory, it didn't give me any errors in MEMTEST, it just randomly froze my system and I had to reboot.

Thanks for the reply Achaios.

I'll give that a try then.