Question Faulty PSU

Oct 14, 2019
Hi everyone, right so my power supply is a EVGA Supernova NEX 750G1 PSU. On start up the fan spins then stops, no power! How ever if i give it a blast of compressed air it works perfectly and keeps running until I shut the pc down. I'm having to do this every time I start the pc now. My question is should I replace it or can I take it to a shop for repair? Thanks

R_1

Judicious
Herald
the "paperclip test" is not really a test, it cannot tell you if the unit can support a load and we already know it cannot.
the paperclip trick only verifies that the unit can power itself alone with no load.

Reactions: Robbo38
Oct 14, 2019
I bought it off ebay last year. I've disconnected it and I'm using a power supply tester. Needs a blast of air for it to work properly

Oct 14, 2019
the "paperclip test" is not really a test, it cannot tell you if the unit can support a load and we already know it cannot.
the paperclip trick only verifies that the unit can power itself alone with no load.
Yes it can support a full load and runs perfectly fine while gaming for hours once its running

DSzymborski

Glorious
Even those power supply testers only really test basic things.

While you could take the PSU to a shop, the cost to repair it will be worth far more than the PSU is worth. It almost never makes sense to take something like this to a professional for repair unless it's a friend that'll do it for free.

It makes far more sense to buy a replacement, a better-quality PSU that's not in used condition.

extreme_noob

Notable
Jul 30, 2018
I would replace it with a better unit, like a Corsair RMx or HX unit. Evga G2, P2, and T2 are also okay but still lower quality than the Corsair units mentioned.

Definitely refrain from buying used power supplies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS