[SOLVED] Faulty PSU?

Diogo C

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
Hi there, this Monday I removed my old PSU and got the new in.
I had tried it before in my old system to make sure it worked fine since it had some issues when I opened it for the first time.
But this time, first start made it reboot 3 or 4 times, and then started. Today (ironically) I was playing some PC Building Simulator when I got a sudden blue screen and before I could read anything computer restarted right away, and did the same 3 or 4 start fails. After those 3-4 it booted just fine.

So, does this sound like a faulty PSU?
I had no issues with my old one on this new build, had been using it for about a month now?

Thanks in advance

Specs:
Ryzen 2700X
MSI RX 5700XT Mech OC
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
2X8GB 3200MHz G.Skill Ripjaws V
Corsair MP510 960GB + WD 1TB Blue
RM850

Solution
Go onto your bios, (Spam F8 or Delete on boot) and then go into the advanced tab and look at your psu's voltages, refer to this image...

As for the blue screen, could be your gpu, psu or ram, so first make sure your PSU's voltages are good.

Another way without the bios (but not as accurate) is to use HWInfo, (tick sensors only when launching)

Get back to me with the voltages you find.

Hey,
Voltages seem to be pretty fine, but I'm pretty sure I found the issue.
When I was around the BIOS, something caught my eye. It turns out I only had 8GB of RAM, despite the fact I have 16. So it turns out one of the RAM slots is (or seems to be) dead.
Both sticks work fine on their own, both work if I get them in different channels, but...

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Hi there, this Monday I removed my old PSU and got the new in.
I had tried it before in my old system to make sure it worked fine since it had some issues when I opened it for the first time.
But this time, first start made it reboot 3 or 4 times, and then started. Today (ironically) I was playing some PC Building Simulator when I got a sudden blue screen and before I could read anything computer restarted right away, and did the same 3 or 4 start fails. After those 3-4 it booted just fine.

So, does this sound like a faulty PSU?
I had no issues with my old one on this new build, had been using it for about a month now?

Thanks in advance

Specs:
Ryzen 2700X
MSI RX 5700XT Mech OC
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
2X8GB 3200MHz G.Skill Ripjaws V
Corsair MP510 960GB + WD 1TB Blue
RM850

Go onto your bios, (Spam F8 or Delete on boot) and then go into the advanced tab and look at your psu's voltages, refer to this image for the voltage range you should be in.

https://gyazo.com/325ee8e82f9f43ca5992edbf91fea08e

As for the blue screen, could be your gpu, psu or ram, so first make sure your PSU's voltages are good.

Another way without the bios (but not as accurate) is to use HWInfo, (tick sensors only when launching)

Diogo C

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
Go onto your bios, (Spam F8 or Delete on boot) and then go into the advanced tab and look at your psu's voltages, refer to this image...

Hey,
Voltages seem to be pretty fine, but I'm pretty sure I found the issue.
When I was around the BIOS, something caught my eye. It turns out I only had 8GB of RAM, despite the fact I have 16. So it turns out one of the RAM slots is (or seems to be) dead.
Both sticks work fine on their own, both work if I get them in different channels, but seems like B2 doesn't work at all. At least not with the other stick on B1.
That should explain the bluescreen and failed boots afterwards.
Not quite sure how long I've been running with just 8GB, but tbh I wouldn't notice since I was so used to both my desktop and laptop having 8GB.
The only question remaining is when did it happen, and if it happened some other time than when I replaced my PSU, why did it only fail to boot now? Really weird, since I didn't touch the RAM at all :/

Well, thanks either way. Have a nice weekend

PS: Had to remove the link from the quote, wouldn't let me post otherwise :/

Solution

TRENDING THREADS