Question Faulty PSU ?

Aug 2, 2022
I had issues with my computer 2 days ago where after shutting down for the night it wouldn't boot in the morning. I proceeded to strip down the machine and remove the CMOS battery and reseat all of the parts which resulted in the PC booting. After a short play session, when the game closed, the whole PC turned off. I checked event viewer after and it showed a Kernal 41 error. After about ten or so minutes of the PC idling, it turned off by itself again but this time would not restart. Every push of the power button resulted in the fans starting very slowly and then shutting off. There was also an audible clicking noise after each cycle and the debug LEDs on my motherboard went from red to yellow and then powered off. I'm pretty sure this is due to the PSU turning itself off to protect the PC but I'd like to know what people think. I tried a paper clip test and the fan starts at low power then stops. When turning off at the mains and then on again, the fans don't start.

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI Z690 Tomahawk DDR4
CPU: I5 12600k
GPU: RTX 3080 FE 10GB
RAM: 16GB 8x2 DDR4 3600 (XMP Enabled)
PSU: Corsair RM850X
Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 Evo
2TB Intel NVME SSD (Sorry I can't remember the model)

To note, when I first built a PC years ago, I also had a similar issue with a Corsair PSU so that's why I'm of the belief that this could be similar.

Aug 2, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to try and source a donor PSU with at least 1KW of power at the entire system's disposal.
Cheers for the reply, would you recommend me getting a new 1000W PSU? Even just to be on the safe side, I'd rather pull the trigger now and just buy a new one

Reactions: Lutfij

Lutfij

Titan
Try a donor unit first before investing in a new unit. Also, you should be able to add some more dough and upgrade the existing Corsair unit provided you can communicate with your seller and Corsair, provided you're under warranty. With the way things are with GPU's now I'd try and stock up with a higher wattage unit, something that is twice the recommended power suggestions on GPU's support site.

I tried a paper clip test and the fan starts at low power then stops.
Forgot this. Some PSU's have a mechanism whereby the fan won't be in use unless the unit is under load or needs active cooling(to cool the components inside the unit).

Aug 2, 2022
Try a donor unit first before investing in a new unit. Also, you should be able to add some more dough and upgrade the existing Corsair unit provided you can communicate with your seller and Corsair, provided you're under warranty. With the way things are with GPU's now I'd try and stock up with a higher wattage unit, something that is twice the recommended power suggestions on GPU's support site.

I tried a paper clip test and the fan starts at low power then stops.
Forgot this. Some PSU's have a mechanism whereby the fan won't be in use unless the unit is under load or needs active cooling(to cool the components inside the unit).
Cheers for your replies, I'm in contact with Corsair right now so with their next correspondence I might ask if I can pay for an upgrade.

Reactions: Lutfij

TRENDING THREADS