Question Faulty R5 3600?

May 25, 2020
Hey guys !
I’m getting all kind of bsod errors and game crash on my system.
I tried below things in order narrow the trouble shooting
  • I disabled XMP
  • Updated OS windows 10
  • Re-install OS
  • Updated Bios
  • install updated chipset
  • drivers updated
I also managed to get my friend pc and swap some of the parts and test. His PC is working without any issue.
  • Swapped PSU
  • Swapped motherboard
  • Swapped SSD
  • Swapped GPU
  • Swapped RAM “QVL”
Still after managing to do all the above trials, still system is crashing games and bsod is showing.
The only way I managed to fix the game crashing & bsod is by setting in bios XMP ON and run all core 4.1 GHz on 1.305V. After manually tuning the vcore and clocks, system started to work fine and I have never saw any Bsod or game crash.
I ran prime95 for 1H and aida 64 for 6H with zero errors with temps max. 75 Deg c.
By doing all this trials, I have come to notice that the only hardware remaining is the CPU. Could it be the one causing all this issues? i have never imagined that the CPU might be the main cause since it's the last part that i have not swapped?
Did any one faced same like this issue before?
can you share your thoughts? ideas? recommendations?
by the way, i have ordered a 3700x and it will arrive tomorrow.
I will keep updating.
Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FXwNqp

EDIT: Swapped the CPU to a new 3700x and never saw any issue ! it seems to be my old R5 3600 was corrupeted in a way that was causing instability in memory management / controller which resulted in continues bsod's and game crashes. issued an RMA for AMD and waiting for their feedback.

Last edited:
With the stress tests you have done you don't have a thermal issue however you may have a driver issue or a system 32 file corruption.
Eliminate these possibilities by running SFC /SCANNOW from an elevated command prompt and check in Control Panel>Device Manager for any yellow triangles that indicate a bad driver.
Again clear CMOS before you update Bios and chipset for the 3700X

all silicon can have variances so maybe it's not so much faulty as bad chemistry - some combos induce "coil whine" others don't. if you're "tuning" the system the results will always vary and may change even with a bios or driver update. different chips react differently to over or under-volting and the like

Dec 16, 2020
I'm facing the exact same issues as you. My build is kind of the same (r5 3600) but downgraded (x470, trident 3200, etc) I'm having crashes in World of Warcraft specially but I will be testing other games. Changed RAM but still having issues, tried different sdd's/hdd's, same issues.
Please update this with everything you know about as I will do ;)

May 25, 2020
With the stress tests you have done you don't have a thermal issue however you may have a driver issue or a system 32 file corruption.
Eliminate these possibilities by running SFC /SCANNOW from an elevated command prompt and check in Control Panel>Device Manager for any yellow triangles that indicate a bad driver.
Again clear CMOS before you update Bios and chipset for the 3700X

oh, i remember i tried that at the beginning but unfortunately not working for me but thanks for the feedback.

May 25, 2020
all silicon can have variances so maybe it's not so much faulty as bad chemistry - some combos induce "coil whine" others don't. if you're "tuning" the system the results will always vary and may change even with a bios or driver update. different chips react differently to over or under-volting and the like

at the same time its weird also to have a system that crashes even at stock "default" settings. i tried tuning the system to maintain it stable because at stock it will never work without showing a bsod. I'm suspecting some memory controller issues or smoothing weird in that chip. thanks for the feedback !

May 25, 2020
I'm facing the exact same issues as you. My build is kind of the same (r5 3600) but downgraded (x470, trident 3200, etc) I'm having crashes in World of Warcraft specially but I will be testing other games. Changed RAM but still having issues, tried different sdd's/hdd's, same issues.
Please update this with everything you know about as I will do ;)
its annoying to live with these crashes.. lol
anyhow, I'm going to try a new cpu and update you if the problem is solved. I'm feeling that the cpu is not doing the right things. thanks for the comment.

Well you swapped almost everything. If it's not the CPU it means it's software. Somewhere from installing the OS to installing the drivers and the rest.

What version of Windows 10 are you installing? Is it the latest Windows 10 created from Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool?

May 25, 2020
Well you swapped almost everything. If it's not the CPU it means it's software. Somewhere from installing the OS to installing the drivers and the rest.

What version of Windows 10 are you installing? Is it the latest Windows 10 created from Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool?
i will try the new cpu and feed you back about it.
regarding the windows version, i used to have an old usb from Microsoft with win10 and i use it for installing windows.

i will try the new cpu and feed you back about it.
regarding the windows version, i used to have an old usb from Microsoft with win10 and i use it for installing windows.

Well there is good chance that your issue is all from that old Windows 10 version you're using.

If that Windows 10 is 3 to 5 years old you will need to make a new one. I would really try.

Do not install that Windows 10 you have with your new CPU. Please create a new Windows 10 USB media install using the creation tool on a running system.
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

Reactions: TO0OT
May 25, 2020
Well there is good chance that your issue is all from that old Windows 10 version you're using.

If that Windows 10 is 3 to 5 years old you will need to make a new one. I would really try.

Do not install that Windows 10 you have with your new CPU. Please create a new Windows 10 USB media install using the creation tool on a running system.
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

that's a new thing for me. imagine i found out that my windows build was 18363 because i was using an old usb like 4 years back and i have re installed it through the media install creation tool to a new 20H2 but the bad news is while i'm in middle of the installation process, system got bsod :(

anyhow, after everything is installed and all updates are set to latest then i ran some command propmts and system repair and everything is 100% repaired.

system became stable and no more bsod but now only games are crashing in the middle of the session.

i set the cpu to all core 4.1Ghz @ 1.3V and no crash during games

what do you suggest now? any thoughts?

Dec 16, 2020
that's a new thing for me. imagine i found out that my windows build was 18363 because i was using an old usb like 4 years back and i have re installed it through the media install creation tool to a new 20H2 but the bad news is while i'm in middle of the installation process, system got bsod :(

anyhow, after everything is installed and all updates are set to latest then i ran some command propmts and system repair and everything is 100% repaired.

system became stable and no more bsod but now only games are crashing in the middle of the session.

i set the cpu to all core 4.1Ghz @ 1.3V and no crash during games

what do you suggest now? any thoughts?

Happened to me aswell some days ago. Thats the moment I realized that it had to be a hardware problem as no third software or drivers is involved in a Windows fresh installation.

I think you should try your new CPU if you didn't already, and see if it is fixed completely.

Downclocking maybe helped with stability but sooner or later will happen again if the problem is related to that component.

May 25, 2020
Happened to me aswell some days ago. Thats the moment I realized that it had to be a hardware problem as no third software or drivers is involved in a Windows fresh installation.

I think you should try your new CPU if you didn't already, and see if it is fixed completely.

Downclocking maybe helped with stability but sooner or later will happen again if the problem is related to that component.

yo ! dude

after i installed the new cpu 3700x and turned XMP on
i did some stress test aida 64 ~ 8 hours, and prime 95~45 min no issues.
opened different games and left them open in main screen for 8 hours no crash

i started playing games that always crash like diablo 3, overwatch, monster hunter, COD cold war and no signle crash. system is running smooth and i'm finally very happy.

my first build on 2013 was an i5 4670k paired with gtx 780ti and i was rocking that build till 2019 with no single issue and i decided to move to AMD in 2019. when i switched to AMD, bsod became my best friend lol. and finally on Dec, 2020 got the thing solved.

its seems to be that my R5 3600 was bad and its the one causing all these bsods and failure in memory controller or management resulting in continues system instability. I'm issuing an RMA for AMD and waiting for their feedback.

yo ! dude

after i installed the new cpu 3700x and turned XMP on
i did some stress test aida 64 ~ 8 hours, and prime 95~45 min no issues.
opened different games and left them open in main screen for 8 hours no crash

i started playing games that always crash like diablo 3, overwatch, monster hunter, COD cold war and no signle crash. system is running smooth and i'm finally very happy.

my first build on 2013 was an i5 4670k paired with gtx 780ti and i was rocking that build till 2019 with no single issue and i decided to move to AMD in 2019. when i switched to AMD, bsod became my best friend lol. and finally on Dec, 2020 got the thing solved.

its seems to be that my R5 3600 was bad and its the one causing all these bsods and failure in memory controller or management resulting in continues system instability. I'm issuing an RMA for AMD and waiting for their feedback.

So it was a bad R5 3600. It can happen. Could have been the pressure on the CPU. Too much pressure on the CPU can cause memory issues.