mpet27

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Hello

I recently decided to build my own computer, and now I’ve run into some trouble. I’m not the big computer expert so I hope you guys can help me.

Until some days ago the computer ran just fine, but recently I have had some BSOD, it’s very random when it comes, and says different things, most of the time its “Memory Management error”. So search abit and found people telling to run memtest86+ to test the memory. I’ve now done that and one of the RAM’s in my 8GB kit(2x4GB) comes up with error’s as soon as I start the test, the other RAM passed the 5 hours long test I did. I’ve tried placing the RAM with errors in the socket where the other RAM was, and it still came with errors. While I tried placing the RAM that passed the test in the other socket and it still passed.

I tried running the computer with the faulty RAM and I had some BSOD. I then tried with the RAM that passed and its running fine now.

So I guess my question is are it safe for me to assume that one of the RAM in the kit is faulty based on the info I’ve just written?

I have in no way OC my computer, I’m running with the “normal” performance option provided by the ASUS UEFI

Im using:
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 8GB(2x4GB) CL9, 9-9-9-24 1.65V. CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
ASUS P8Z67 Deluxe, Socket 1155
Intel Core I5-2500k

Kind Regards

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Yeah, it looks like you're just going to have to replace one of your sticks of RAM. Fortunately they're relatively cheap (compared to other parts at least) - newegg offers single 4GB sticks for $25. You shouldn't have any problems running your computer with the one stick until you replace it. If I were you I would try to find a stick identical to the one you're replacing in every way. If you can't then at least match speed (1600mhz), CAS Latency (CL9), and voltage (1.65V).

Newegg sells a single stick, though
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145328

mpet27

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Thanks for the reply. The RAM still under vendor gurentee, so I'm gonna send them back and get a new kit:)