Question Faulty RAM Slot?

Oct 2, 2019
I got a problem with my pc a week ago when im fully cleaning my pc (removed everything , took motherboard out of it case , the cpu , ram, and reattach all cables etc)
And decided to play games the next day , till i noticed that my games running slower than before and lags were everywhere , i thought this is a driver problem so i go on and check all the driver on my pc only to find it doesnt need an update , then i check my task manager to see which program that take many resources that i suspect the lag because of it and on the performance tab i noticed that my memory says:
8 GB installed 4GB useable (4GB Reserved)

While i had this problem before i solved it only by swapping the ram on slot 1 to 2 and vice versa , but this time it doesn't do anything (i swapped it many times)
So I thought that one of my ram is faulty so i go and run the pc by only 1 ram per 1 ram and it worked , running memtest also not result in any error ,

i searched over the internet and found someone suggesting that i should run the pc by one ram but at different slot as the pc will look to available memory no matter it on slot 1 or 2 (my motherboard only have 2 slot) so i place one ram stick on slot 2 and turn on the pc And the pc turn on for a second and turn off by it self with monitor not showing anything.
So are the ram slot on my motherboard is broken? Or is it other thing?
If yes is there anything i could do to fix it?

Extra info :
The bios , cpu z , task manager detect my second ram at 2nd slot just fine , the voltage are displayed there , speed etc. At real time. Already resseting bios by removing CMOS battery

My specs :
Amd A8 7650K (No bent pins)
Ram 4x2 GB (same model same speed)
RX 560
Mother board colorful c.a68m-p pro
Psu 450 watt

Thank you.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Did your RAM modules come from the same physical pack? Or were they bought seperately?
Did the change of RAM usable only change after you cleaned the PC?

I cannot access your motherboard spec, do you only have 2 RAM slots?
Does each RAM module work by itself in one slot? Have you tried each individual RAM in each individual slot?

Oct 2, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Did your RAM modules come from the same physical pack? Or were they bought seperately?
Did the change of RAM usable only change after you cleaned the PC?

I cannot access your motherboard spec, do you only have 2 RAM slots?
Does each RAM module work by itself in one slot? Have you tried each individual RAM in each individual slot?
Thank you!

No i bought them seperately
Yes , but i have faced this problem before and fixing it only with re seating the RAM but it wont work now

Yes i only have 2 ram slot
Ram module work perfectly by itself in the first slot but when i change to only 2nd ram slot it wont boot even to bios no matter which ram module

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
No i bought them seperately
Yes , but i have faced this problem before and fixing it only with re seating the RAM but it wont work now
Unfortunately mixed RAM modules are not guaranteed compatibility, and this could be indicated by the fact that you have had to reseat them previous times.

Ram module work perfectly by itself in the first slot but when i change to only 2nd ram slot it wont boot even to bios no matter which ram module
So it's irrelevant to the RAM module itself, but either module fails when in the second slot?

Oct 2, 2019
So it's irrelevant to the RAM module itself, but either module fails when in the second slot?
Yes that's correct , and that also made me suspect that my ram slot is faulty however i search the internet about a faulty ram slot and many of them state that faulty ram slot can't detect RAM module nor the information of the ram module in real time which in my case is still detected and displaying the information of the ram perfectly

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
That's not correct. As no 1 faulty RAM slot is the same.
In some cases it will be able to detect them, in other cases it won't detect them at all, it depends on what the fault is.
If the issue ONLY seems to occur in 1 RAM slot, then it is likely the slot or something leading up to it.

Have you checked the CPU/Socket for any bent pins? Did you remove the CPU or CPU cooler at all when cleaning?

Oct 2, 2019
That's not correct. As no 1 faulty RAM slot is the same.
In some cases it will be able to detect them, in other cases it won't detect them at all, it depends on what the fault is.
If the issue ONLY seems to occur in 1 RAM slot, then it is likely the slot or something leading up to it.

Have you checked the CPU/Socket for any bent pins? Did you remove the CPU or CPU cooler at all when cleaning?
Thanks for fast reply!

Yes i do checked the CPU for bent pins and since it AMD im sure it doesnt have any pins on the motherboard (correct me if im wrong :)) yes i do remove the cpu when cleaning and the cpu cooler cause i must reapply the pasta

TRENDING THREADS