Faulty RAM stick, need new RAM.

Pavel Pokidaylo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Hi. One of my two 4 gig sticks is shot and I can't play anything besides World of Warcraft without it getting really choppy.

I've been waiting for new Nvidia GPUs and maybe some new CPUs to come out to build a new machine, although it is taking a while. Ideally, I'd get the 1180 Ti but I think it will be something close to a year before it's released =/

Anyway, in the meantime I need to fix this RAM issue. I could order one 4 gig stick to put in and be done with it for now but if it's possible, I'd rather just buy a 16 gig kit to use in my next machine. I just don't know if that's a good idea or not. Not sure what RAM my mobo can or can not use and what speed/capacity. Also have no idea what my future board would use.

Here's my build as it is now.

Mobo- MSI G45 Z87 Gaming
CPU- i5 4670k
Cooler- Noctua NH-D14
GPU- 980 Ti Classified
RAM- one 4 gig stick G.skill Ripjaws 1600
(previously two 4 gig sticks)
SSD- Samsung 940 pro 256g
HDD- WD Blue 1TB
PSU- Cooler Master 850W (I have a SeasonicX 1050W Gold in box not using yet)

Any help is appreciated thanks!

D

Deleted member 217926

Nope. DDR3 only. You can go faster than DDR3 1600 but it will make very little difference in most cases. Typical "good" DDR3 1600 will be 1.5v and have timings of 9-9-9-24. If you can find DDR3 1866 or even 2400 for the same price your board and CPU ( memory controller is on the CPU ) should handle it.

Pavel Pokidaylo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Ok that's good to know lol. I guess I'll just RMA this stick and hopefully they will ship me a functioning one soon. I'm in the process of moving right now anyway so it's not a big deal to wait I guess. I can still play WoW and even Overwatch if I lower the settings. I've been wanting to get back into Diablo 3 again so may try that. Thanks again bud!

TRENDING THREADS