[SOLVED] faulty ram

tanday

Prominent
Feb 8, 2023
my pc have 4 stick of ram 8GB each. Suddenly one of my ram is broken idk why it cause me no display, sometimes freeze the pc but the ram stick itself looks very clean can someone give me some advice? i tried to clean the ram stick and the ram slot but it doesnt work
btw its Gskill Trident Z RGB (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz

Solution
To verify that the ram stick is faulty,
Test each individual stick in the slot that your motherboard prefers for a single stick.
Your ram will have a lifetime warranty from g.skil.

Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

But, there may be an issue since all your ram is not matched in a 4 stick kit.
It would seem that you have a pair of 2 stick kits.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A...
my pc have 4 stick of ram 8GB each. Suddenly one of my ram is broken idk why it cause me no display, sometimes freeze the pc but the ram stick itself looks very clean can someone give me some advice? i tried to clean the ram stick and the ram slot but it doesnt work
btw its Gskill Trident Z RGB (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
How do you know one stick is faulty?

Please list all PC specs..

tanday

Prominent
Feb 8, 2023
i dont know but i pull all of them out to like clean the pc and then put it back but one of them got faulty even though i got it out the right way
heres the specs:
intel coreI9 gen7
x299 Aorus gaming 9
4 stick of Gskill Trident Z RGB (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz now 3
Gtx1080Ti Lightning
its pretty old now cuz my brother built it since 2017 and did bunch of hard work on it

Test each individual stick in the slot that your motherboard prefers for a single stick.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.

A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

You can sometimes compensate for errors by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios if you have an overclocking motherboard.

Solution

tanday

Prominent
Feb 8, 2023

A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

You can sometimes compensate for errors by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios if you have an overclocking motherboard.
i dont think i could do this cuz it takes a lots of time and im not ready to prepare if something bad happens so is there any other solution? or maybe is there any chance the ram slot is broke?

tanday

Prominent
Feb 8, 2023
also im wondering is it ok if i have the ram placed randomly not in any order? currently i have rams placed 1 cell apart because the ram itself have 8 slot of ram i know this is a dumb question

Safety of any ram combination is not an issue.

If you want to use 3 sticks, that is ok, you have 24gb. The two matching 8gb will run in faster dual channel mode, and the odd 8gb will run in single channel mode. This is called flex mode. probably a better option than running only 16gb.

If an individual stick proves defective,You should be able to get the whole 4 stick kit replaced under the lifetime warranty.

If all 4 sticks test out ok, then your problem is perhaps the slot itself.

Have you ever removed the cpu since all was well?
If you have, perhaps a socket pin has been damaged.
Such damage often results in ram issues.

tanday

Prominent
Feb 8, 2023
Safety of any ram combination is not an issue.

If you want to use 3 sticks, that is ok, you have 24gb. The two matching 8gb will run in faster dual channel mode, and the odd 8gb will run in single channel mode. This is called flex mode. probably a better option than running only 16gb.

If an individual stick proves defective,You should be able to get the whole 4 stick kit replaced under the lifetime warranty.

If all 4 sticks test out ok, then your problem is perhaps the slot itself.

Have you ever removed the cpu since all was well?
If you have, perhaps a socket pin has been damaged.
Such damage often results in ram issues.
i think the ram itself is actually faulty because i changed the slot for it but when the pc boot up it comes up with the no display message also i havent take of the cpu i just replaced the thermal paste

tanday

Prominent
Feb 8, 2023
oh wow i tried to put the ram back to the old slot and somehow it worked again maybe this is the 5th time i try to place it in and now it worked again