Question Faulty RTX 2070?

Feb 18, 2019
I have searched everywhere for a similar problem and I am not too experienced with computers but I understand most things. I decided to upgrade to a MSI RTX 2070 Armor OC 8gb from my GTX 1060 6gb that I have had for a while now. First thing I noticed after getting it all setup on the new drivers and such is when I launched skyrim it did its autodetect for what quality setting is good for my setup and it set it to the lowest settings. On my 1060 it autoset to ultra and was able to run ultra with great fps. So I began playing and the frames weren't as smooth on the 2070 on lower settings. So I opened up Apex Legends and that is where I really notice it. I get great FPS from 80-150 on ultra settings but every few seconds if I look left or right it almost feels like the frames stutter just a bit. I did not ever have this problem on the 1060. The gameplay does not feel smooth but my frames are staying high. I have ran the Superposition benchmark twice and everything seems okay. I did an in game overlay benchmark in Apex Legends and my CPU is always at 100% while my GPU ranges from 50-99% (average about 70%). My current specs are:

i5 6600k overclocked smooth at 4.4Ghz @ 1.25V
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
MSI RTX 2070 Armor OC
2x8gb Corsair Vengeance RAM
EVGA 600B 80+ Bronze PSU
Gigabyte g1 Gaming GA-Z170N Gaming 5
500gb Samsung EVO SSD
1TB WD HDD
Playing 1920x1080 144hz 24" Monitor

I slightly understand CPU bottlenecking and I know the CPU is for sure bottlenecking but is that causing the weird stutters in game? I am trying to figure out if the GPU is related to the issue I am having as I planned on upgrading my CPU/MOBO soon after receiving the 2070 but I do not want to do so yet if the GPU needs to be RMA'd. There seems to be a ton of problems with the RTX series cards so hopefully I didn't get a faulty one as mine is no returns because it was a newegg special deal.

Thank you for any help!

xSamaru

Reputable
May 20, 2014
That is a CPU bottleneck, try locking your fps at like 120 or something and see if it still happens, The higher the framerate the more gpu and cpu usage youll get. If your FPS are not consistent and spike like from 150 to 90 in a second that can look like a stutter. If you dont know how to lock the frame rate use Riva tuner statistics server with msi afterburner.

Feb 18, 2019
That is a CPU bottleneck, try locking your fps at like 120 or something and see if it still happens, The higher the framerate the more gpu and cpu usage youll get. If your FPS are not consistent and spike like from 150 to 90 in a second that can look like a stutter. If you dont know how to lock the frame rate use Riva tuner statistics server with msi afterburner.

The frames never really drop they are pretty consistent but I'll give that a shot when I am home later and give an update, thank you.

xSamaru

Reputable
May 20, 2014
The frames never really drop they are pretty consistent but I'll give that a shot when I am home later and give an update, thank you.

Yeah try it, with my old 4 core 3570k I had stutters all over the place because for games big like lets say BF V multiplayer you need atleast 6 cores to have it running smooth, now your i5 is a lot better than mine was but its still 4 core 4 thread cpu and youre aiming for high FPS which means high usage of everything at all time, If 120 lock doesn't work try 100 etc... I think youll notice a difference.