Aug 28, 2019
So yesterday I ordered a RTX 2080 Msi Gaming Trio for a good deal (Non X version), today it came in the mail and I uninstalled my old drivers, after that installed the new ones and strangely it gave an artifact whilst installing the driver, when the artifact stopped and the rest of the installation proceeded... I feared for the worst.

Restarted the PC and on the Windows loading screen it started showing artifacts for a second and then proceed to post.

Then I immediately knew something was wrong.. it still booted though but to my surprise the drivers weren't showing up and the display was still in 1024x768. Tried a couple more times with DDU and safe mode but nothing worked :(

Send it back to retailer the same day (today) and now writing this for you to read. I know this is a common issue with bad memory for RTX cards.. especially 2080TI's or at least earlier production models. Now I fear for my replacement to also be broken as well. But does anyone know how common this is exactly?

Greetings,

A fellow PC enthusiast that is crying out loud because he was waiting for an upgrade for 2 years and now gets this problem XD

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Aug 28, 2019
what do you mean driver weren't showing up? did you install new driver?
what the full system spec? make and model of the psu?

I installed the driver via Geforce Experience and whilst installing the Display driver itself about halfway through I just got artifacts all over my screen and then it reset and just continued with the download of the other components of the install (but it skips the display I think) It's really weird.

System:
CPU: i7 7700 (non-k)
RAM: Trident Z rgb 16gb 3000Mhz (runs at 2400Mhz because motherboard doesnt support more)
Mobo: Asus Prime H270-Plus
PSU: Corsair CS750M
Old GPU: Gtx 970 strix
SSD Samsung 850 evo
And a harddrive

I thought the newer batch of RTX CHIPS were NOT plagued with this Memory issue though ? But yeah, this has been a known problem for these RTX GPUs in the past. Though, I don't know whether this issue is still widespread or not.

I know how it feels when you get a DOA GPU. ?

Aug 28, 2019
I should also mention that I had 1x 8pin pci-E cable in my psu to 2x 2+6 Pci-E cables (it splits itself)
Should I have tried plugging in 2 separate ones? I know it's too late now to try because I already sent it back.. but could that have been the problem??