[SOLVED] Faulty RX 570

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2020
Hello

almost 2 years ago I bought an Asus RX 570 Expedition 4GB and after 2 months my game (Fallout 4) froze and closed without erorr.

After a few tests with Heaven Benchamrk and FurMark, I noticed that the graphic works only at the minimum resolution and settings in Heaven Benchmark and does not work at all with FurMark.

If anyone can offer any insight into this situation it would be greatly appreciated

Two picure:
https://ibb.co/djq4QF2

Solution
I do recall reading that the more modern cards use power differently, but still, other than maybe an occasional spike (which older cards would do as well), I can't see why this would be a problem.

I think it seems likely that the RX 570 actually is bad.
Apr 7, 2020
What are your full PC specs?

Did you install the RX 570 two years ago, and it worked fine until two months ago? I'm not clear exactly on the timeline here.

Make sure to include the brand and exact model number of power supply.

PC specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
RAM: 10GB DDR3
SSD: Kingston SHFS37A120G 120GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
Radeon Software version 20.4.1
I bought it 2 years ago and used it for 2 months then the problems start occuring.

I didn't deal with the problem because I didn't have time.
I put the card into another PC and the problem is the same

PSU
Xilence Redwing Series SPS-XP550 R3 550W
I also tryed wit a POWERLC LC6600v2.2 600W

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't think I'd trust either of those PSUs. It seems like from what I've been able to find that the Xilence only provides 32W on the 12V rail, making it effectively a 12x32 = 384W power supply, and not 550W.

The POWERLC has 42W on the 12V rail, making it 12x42 = 504W.

Given that they have so much less power on the 12V rail than their total power rating, that's a warning sign of low quality PSUs. The lack of good, solid reviews of them also is concerning.

I would normally suggest getting/borrowing a known, high-quality PSU to try out with your PC, and see if that resolves the problem.

Did you buy the GPU new or used?

Reactions: tincek
Apr 7, 2020
I don't think I'd trust either of those PSUs. It seems like from what I've been able to find that the Xilence only provides 32W on the 12V rail, making it effectively a 12x32 = 384W power supply, and not 550W.

The POWERLC has 42W on the 12V rail, making it 12x42 = 504W.

Given that they have so much less power on the 12V rail than their total power rating, that's a warning sign of low quality PSUs. The lack of good, solid reviews of them also is concerning.

I would normally suggest getting/borrowing a known, high-quality PSU to try out with your PC, and see if that resolves the problem.

Did you buy the GPU new or used?

After some googling
The CPU on load is drawing 200-230W https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-890fx,2613-13.html
the RX 570 on load will draw 120-150W https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-570-4gb,5028-15.html
My odl GPU Gigagyte radeon r9 270 windforce 2x oc on load will draw120 - 150W on load https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-r9-270-review,8.html

I also have an HDD 8W and an optical drive

I agree that the PSU-s are not the best in quality but if the PSU-s are the problem that they are too weak then the same isue soud be with the r9 270

Please corect me if i made a mistake

I bought the GPU second hand but the gpu was in its original packaging sealed and everything

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm not sure, but I believe those older CPU load numbers are power draw at the wall, and not CPU-only numbers.

The only thing I can think of with your existing power supplies is that you've been very lucky so far.

Hmm, secondhand GPU means that you can't claim the warranty. Do you still have the R9 270? Have you tried putting it back in and seeing if it works?

Apr 7, 2020
I'm not sure, but I believe those older CPU load numbers are power draw at the wall, and not CPU-only numbers.

The only thing I can think of with your existing power supplies is that you've been very lucky so far.

Hmm, secondhand GPU means that you can't claim the warranty. Do you still have the R9 270? Have you tried putting it back in and seeing if it works?

Yes the old r9 270 in in my PC right now
and it works fine.

I also did a Heaven benchamrk on my r9 270 on the same settings as the rx 570
on the r9 270 the cpu load is constant in this case 20% but on the rx 570 it's constantly jumpin 0% to 100%

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I do recall reading that the more modern cards use power differently, but still, other than maybe an occasional spike (which older cards would do as well), I can't see why this would be a problem.

I think it seems likely that the RX 570 actually is bad.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.