Faulty Sandy Bridge motherboard finally died?

orkie

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
My desktop had the faulty sandy bridge mobo and I think today the connection to the hard drive died.
Randomly my computer crashed and after about a minute turned off. My next 2 attempts to boot lead to a screen which had a message along the lines of "cannot read hard drive". I then managed to boot to windows but crashed straight away and turned off again. I then managed to boot into safe mode and backed up all my pictures/personal files. Tried to boot normally and it wouldn't work anymore.

What are my options and how can I be sure that its actually the mobo connection causing the problem?
Is it better to buy a SATA 3 hard drive or a new motherboard?

Thank you for any help

orkie

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
I only have an olde IDE hardrive and an external hardrive so I don't think I can check at the moment.

If I bought an SDD I still wouldn't be able to use the HDD if the mobo connection to SATA 2 has been corrupted?

If I were to replace the mobo, how would I go about formating the hardrive?

orkie

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
I have just read that you can plug SATA 2 hard drives into SATA 3 slots, If what was said at the time is true ( That only SATA 2 ports are affected by the fault) Then couldn't I just plug the hardrive into a SATA 3 slot and if the problem continues, then its the hard drive, if the problem is solved, then it is the faulty connection in the SATA 2 slots?

orkie

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
My motherboard is Asus P8P67 before fix. Is my logic correct though that if I plug my hard drive into a SATA 3 port and there is no problems, then I can just continue doing that? I only really use 2 ports anyway so don't need the extra ports. If there is still a problem, then I can try reformatting the hard drive and see if that helps?