[SOLVED] Faulty sound card? Need a help solving the mystery

tomsyajota

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
Hi, I was hoping to get some insight from Pros as a noob who's been struggling to solve this sound issue for past few days.

I have recently built this new ryzen5 3600 PC and it seems to be having a issue with sound being half-muffed and distorted whenever I play music or video. It's that kind of sound when your headphone jack in your portable music player is broken so you need to hold it at a certain angle for it to sound normally.

Here are the trouble shootings I have done so far:

1) Unplug and re-plug HD audio cable to make sure it sits completely well.

2) Re-install realtek sound driver (It seems like AMD doesn't have its own?)

3) try toggling between the output settings in the sound control panel.

(Of course, I made sure to try different headphones and earbuds to make sure it was not headphone's issue, they work perfectly well with my phone.)

None of the steps above has resolved the issue so I went ahead and plugged headphone directly to the L-out port at the back of PC (which comes directly from mobo thorugh IO shield) and voila the sound is now perfectly fine, all the distortion is gone and it's now clear as blue sky! which made me thought that culprit may be defective front headphone jack.

However, upon trying to plug my headphone to my brand new monitor (which has its own headphone jack beside hdmi, dp port and is connected to pc through display port) it does the same thing, distorted sound just like the front headphone jack, so now I'm confused coz if it was defective front headphone jack then plugging my headphone into monitor should have resolved this sound issue just like plugging it directly to L-out port

Could this be some damaged mobo? I thought all 3 shouldn't be working if that were the case, but plugging through L-out port makes it completely fine so I am now really lost.

Although I couldn't check it with wireless bluetooth headphones since my mobo don't support bluetooth so I'm still waiting for my wireless module to arrive.

Has anyone gone through the same issue and have an idea on how to resolve this? I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you very much in advance.

Solution
What motherboard do you have? Windows should install a default audio driver for the Realtek CODEC chips that come on most modern mobo's.

The audio that's provided through DP and HDMI to your monitor comes from the GPU if it's discrete, not your audio chip.

Knowing more about your system configuration may help: motherboard, cpu, gpu etc.

The phono jacks that are provided on many cases are pretty flimsy, as are the ones on back of monitors. Try twisting and wriggling the plug to see if it helps.
What motherboard do you have? Windows should install a default audio driver for the Realtek CODEC chips that come on most modern mobo's.

The audio that's provided through DP and HDMI to your monitor comes from the GPU if it's discrete, not your audio chip.

Knowing more about your system configuration may help: motherboard, cpu, gpu etc.

The phono jacks that are provided on many cases are pretty flimsy, as are the ones on back of monitors. Try twisting and wriggling the plug to see if it helps.

Last edited:
Solution

tomsyajota

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015

Its Msi x570 a pro. I would definitely try that.
Thank you