Discussion Favorite metal band?

I was a teenager when heavy metal was born and those responsible for it go by the name Black Sabbath. Everything that came after was an imitation to some degree, some better than others.

@Barrdock I saw Priest several times. The first was at US festival 83 and then again at the LA Forum in 87 toward the end of their "Fuel for Life" tour. Truly a great metal band that I still listen to.

Ok kiddies, let guys who were born in the 1940's show you how it's done. D@mn shame Dave Holland isn't around anymore but the guy they have here on drums is really solid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barrdock

Colif

Win 11 Master
Black Sabbath - who is best Singer is a hard fought fight and not many aren't either on the Ozzy or Dio sides, even though I know they had other singers along the way.

I had 1 friend who was all Ozzy, another that was all Dio. I decided to not choose a side.

okay, maybe Dio :)

Last edited:
Black Sabbath - who is best Singer is a hard fought fight and not many aren't either on the Ozzy or Dio sides, even though I know they had other singers along the way.

I had 1 friend who was all Ozzy, another that was all Dio. I decided to not choose a side.

While I'll always love Ozzy, the final iteration of the guys, named Heaven and Hell, with Dio was magical ("The End" tour with Ozzy aside). Small in stature, Dio was a giant to those who were inspired by him. This is a fine live recording from Wacken, please give it a listen. Truly masters of metal, the old guys have still got it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colif and Barrdock

Colif

Win 11 Master
Well, Heaven & Hell would have been 2nd clip I linked had I. I remember listing to its live version 30 years ago, i think that might have been the Dio band version though. 1986...

I don't have a fav metal band, I can't pick one. Long term probably Anthrax but I can't tell you why. Apart from a few, they haven't changed their style since they started. Kreator is another.

Reactions: Barrdock

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021

Yeah, I loved Dio with Black Sabbath. I believe Tony Iommi was most creative at this time too.

Yeah Judas Priest is awesome, and used to be my fave. Rob's own band by his name Halford is also very good. I can't believe the pitch he can reach with his screams at his age. Bruce Dickinson also has a pretty strong voice for his age.

At one point Metallica was my fave, but they lack the creativity I look for, and I couldn't stand St Anger.

Nowadays Tool is my fave band, but they're really more Alt/Prog Rock than hard rock, though they can jam hard.

One song by Halford that really struck deep with me when I first heard it was Silent Screams. I happened to be playing F.E.A.R. at the time, and it seemed to fit perfectly with a mission called Bad Water I was playing. The lyrics are also very relative to what's going on in the world today.

Sorry if the audio dubbing is off putting. I was going through a phase where I wanted to have both visual effects and humor in my videos. It's just a short part at the start though. This is best viewed in YouTube's small viewer size, due to the res it was captured at back then.

Last edited:

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Not sure if System of a Down counts as metal or hard rock, especially after they and all the other bands that were labeled "nu-metal" came out and said they don't know why they were called that and don't even think it is a real genre, but if they do count as metal, then I'd say them. If not, my runner up would probably be Trivium or Norma Jean.