Favorite Old Monitor Finally Kicking the Bucket

tam199042

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
I've got a HANNSpree 25" LCD Monitor, related product #s are HF259H HSG1051. This thing has been with me for 2 separate PC builds over a number of years, and I'd hate to part with it. Also, if I can get a replacement part for even 1/3 of a new monitor, that would make repairing it even sweeter.

Lately it's been blacking out randomly. From an overnight, cold start in the morning, it'll last a good long while (an hour or two sometimes) before the issue starts coming up. The power light is not going into sleep mode, it's staying powered, but the screen cuts out during the episodes.

In more detailed specifics, once the first blackout occurs, the screen might come back for a few minutes at most, or seconds at least. It might pop back on a few times with a few seconds between each time the video returns, but each time it does come back, it works for a shorter time. I can get around it somewhat by powering it off for a few minutes, but it's obviously a short-term fix...

As far as I can tell, the screen is fine, the backlight works fine, and the inputs are not the cause of the issue. Other monitors do not encounter the same issue, so it's not my video card or drivers. Regardless if I'm using the VGA or HDMI input, the issue will occur eventually. I did some sleuthing before coming here, and I opened my monitor up to look for bulging or popped capacitors on the power supply, and nada. They all had flat heads, and nothing seemed to be leaking out anywhere.

From what guides and videos I can find on the topic of bad caps, it seems the display will have some more distinct symptoms like a flickering screen, errors in the visuals. When it is displaying something, nothing is visually malfunctioning, aside from the picture completely going out (briefly or permanently until restart).

Obviously, something has aged and is overheating, which explains why the picture takes some time to go out after startup. Anyone have a similar issue with another LCD that can point me towards a likely culprit to check out or replace?

Bad capacitors often have exterior signs, but do not neccesarily have to be visibly damaged to be bad. Symptoms can also be of a failing power supply, problematic TCon board, or LVDS connectors Low quality lead free solder could be cracking at any of these locations, or could be a component in the PS or TCon board as well. Another consideration could be near delamination from thermal cycling. A panel fault seems unlikely. You could try ducting in air with a small exterior fan to test thermal issues.