Favorite Xbox One games - out of the "5" Xbox consoles - its the most "hated.".so what are they for you?

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
I got into console gaming "again" way back in 2013-2014 with the launch of Ps4 and the Xbox One. Before places like digital foundry did their anaylsis on youtube I never nor still do get the xbox one hate or dislike. Or maybe its just a backseat console - more than disliked. Anywho I recently picked up gaming on console again with the Series S as gift this past Christmas then for physical media reasons I picked up a Xbox One X - arguably the most powerful Xbox until 2020 - and in some degrees better than any console when nit launched.

All this said I've played several exclsuives to the system because I heard they were downright terrible to just average. But I loved them. The rest in the list are cross plateform games that are just so amazing on the One, esp. the One X that I couldn't resist.

First:

Ryse: Son Of Rome. The motion capture technically made this release despite not even hitting 1080p, on my 65in 4k tv look incredible. So much so that I played it for a solid 2 weeks! For a short game (roughly 8 hours) thats impressive, I kept being shocked that a launch title was so dang good looking - I think the photography used and increased level of detail and fedelity makes it surprisngly good even in 2023. Why this didn't get a One X enhancement or better yet now a Series X/S frame rate or optimization boost is beyond me. Word is were getting a sequel too...after all these years.

Dead Rising 3 - much like Ryse this launched with the One, but was pretty limited resolution and in graphics to my knowledge it was a locked 720p, and it wasn't a stable 30fps. Nonetheless on my One X it runs good enough to think "why was this like Ryse hated as a launch title?" I can't get enough - mind you zombies are done, and over done a lot but it makes me wonder why the franchise didn't continue after 4 - maybe i'll check that one out next.

Hogwarts Legacy - I'm actually selling my copy today, but make no mistake it runs really well on old hardware, especially the One X with a 1440p resolution 30fps, and an unlocked framerate option too. But since I"m interested in playing it on the switch later this year I don't want to beat it twice in like 8 months time - The only time I've done that in recent times over and over its The Witcher 3.

Gears of War 4 - and Gears 5 - both big achievements, overlooked at that - maybe the 4th more than 5. Running at a great frame rate, 4k resolution on the One X and 1080 on the One OG its outstanding.

Halo Guardians - while the image quality on the base Xbox One wasn't anything to praise it did stick to 60 fps, for 2015 on the level of scale, it was impressive. Fast forward to 2017 you get 2160p 4k. and great 60fps. Thumbs way up!

Hellblade Senaus Sacrafice - looks brilliant, runs good - now Microsoft owns the IP, so with the footage I've seen I can't help but think Microsoft is in better shape at least with this then people give them credit for. This also looks great on the switch, surprisingly.

Bayonetta (the remaster) its either 1440p or more, and I believe mostly a good 60fps. Its outstanding but its sad neither Xbox or Playstation will get the other 2.

Diablo 3 - 4k 60fps action rpgs? Yes please! Also probably my last diablo game I"ll beat - and continue to play as its not pay to win or grind to win. Also its offline partly so yea. The performance is amazing.

Last but not least - my favorite game of this and last generation.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. While the base xbox one only ran at 900 p we got a 4k upgrade on the One X that I have. and the Series X/S even better - more later. A+ performance and game.

Ryse: Sone of Rome was an incredibly good looking game that I very much enjoyed on a GTX 750 Ti back in 2015 or so. It makes all these new games that take an RTX 4090 to max out the settings seem absolutely ridiculous because even then they don't look as good as a game from 2013.

Reactions: minnin90

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
Ryse: Sone of Rome was an incredibly good looking game that I very much enjoyed on a GTX 750 Ti back in 2015 or so. It makes all these new games that take an RTX 4090 to max out the settings seem absolutely ridiculous because even then they don't look as good as a game from 2013.

I can only imagine how good it looks on a PC. On Xbox even the new Series consoles your limited to playing just the 2013 base version so it varies from 720 to 900P, with the graphic options from back then. so yeah its amazing how its aged so well. The sequel for the sake of the other players I hope its multi plateform - probably will be as the studio to my knowledge has not worked with microsoft since. On a Series X / Ps5 or maxed out Pc the sequel could be one if not the best looking game coming out in the "sometime" future no one is talking about. =)