fax console - send a fax greyed out

I tried installing a different answering machine/fax program, and didn't
like it. I uninstalled it, and now I can't click on "send a fax" in the Fax
Console because it is greyed out. System Restore did not help. Any ideas
how I can get the old Fax Console working right again?

--
Nilly
************************

Provide some reasonable detail, please.
Did Windows XP Fax ever work on your installation?
What analog fax modem are you using and is it on the Windows XP HCL list?
Have you tried reinstalling Windows XP Fax?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"nilly" <phonyaddy@homeputerhelp.com> wrote in message
> I tried installing a different answering machine/fax program, and didn't
> like it. I uninstalled it, and now I can't click on "send a fax" in the
Fax
> Console because it is greyed out. System Restore did not help. Any ideas
> how I can get the old Fax Console working right again?
>
> --
> Nilly
> ************************
> "I went to school to become a wit,
> but I only made it halfway through..."

I went with a general feeler first, before details- sorry :)

Intel(R) 537 Modem - listed in XP HCL

I do not fax often at all (once or twice a year), but do seem to recall
using the Fax console at least once before successfully. I have uninstalled
and reinstalled both that and other fax software (Bitware, SuperVoice 2.2i;
installed to try to use answering machine capabilities along with fax) -
right now only the Fax Console is on the system.

Uninstalled everything, rebooted, reinstalled Fax Console. No go.

Let me know what other information you need- and thanks for whatever help
you can give.

--
Nilly
************************

> Provide some reasonable detail, please.
> Did Windows XP Fax ever work on your installation?
> What analog fax modem are you using and is it on the Windows XP HCL list?
> Have you tried reinstalling Windows XP Fax?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "nilly" <phonyaddy@homeputerhelp.com> wrote in message
> > I tried installing a different answering machine/fax program, and didn't
> > like it. I uninstalled it, and now I can't click on "send a fax" in the
> Fax
> > Console because it is greyed out. System Restore did not help. Any
ideas
> > how I can get the old Fax Console working right again?
> >
> > --
> > Nilly
> > ************************
> > "I went to school to become a wit,
> > but I only made it halfway through..."

Look for errors in your faxsetup.log.
What messages did you get when you reinstalled Windows XP Fax?

--
> I went with a general feeler first, before details- sorry :)
>
> Intel(R) 537 Modem - listed in XP HCL
>
> I do not fax often at all (once or twice a year), but do seem to recall
> using the Fax console at least once before successfully. I have
uninstalled
> and reinstalled both that and other fax software (Bitware, SuperVoice
2.2i;
> installed to try to use answering machine capabilities along with fax) -
> right now only the Fax Console is on the system.
>
> Uninstalled everything, rebooted, reinstalled Fax Console. No go.
>
> Let me know what other information you need- and thanks for whatever help
> you can give.
>
> --
> Nilly
> ************************
> "I went to school to become a wit,
> but I only made it halfway through..."
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Provide some reasonable detail, please.
> > Did Windows XP Fax ever work on your installation?
> > What analog fax modem are you using and is it on the Windows XP HCL
list?
> > Have you tried reinstalling Windows XP Fax?
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "nilly" <phonyaddy@homeputerhelp.com> wrote in message
> > > I tried installing a different answering machine/fax program, and
didn't
> > > like it. I uninstalled it, and now I can't click on "send a fax" in
the
> > Fax
> > > Console because it is greyed out. System Restore did not help. Any
> ideas
> > > how I can get the old Fax Console working right again?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Nilly
> > > ************************
> > > "I went to school to become a wit,
> > > but I only made it halfway through..."

I could not "see" any errors, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for,
either. I'd be happy to send the log file to you directly if you want
(change the "phoneyaddy" to "nilly" to e-mail me directly- still a fake, but
I'll get it and reply with my real address). Also, there were no messages
when reinstalling the Fax Services (Windows compnents, add/remove programs);
everything APPEARED to install just fine.

---just to clarify, the Fax Services is what YOU mean by Windows XP Fax?
because what I'm trying to get working does not have the exact words
"Windows XP Fax" anywhere---

Again, I'm pretty sure I had used the Fax Console on this system before
successfully. However, that would have been before I installed other
programs, and I have since also installed a new modem (Intel(R) 537 Modem -
listed in XP HCL). To try to get the FC working correctly, I went into
Safe mode and made sure that all fax programs were uninstalled. I even
went into the registry editor and made sure all (specific) references to the
other fax programs I had tried were removed (don't panic, I have regedit
experience). I then restarted and reinstalled the Fax Services again.

The only words in Fax Console under File that are available are Import and
Exit. All icons underneath there are also not available- blanked out. I
have it set for manual receive, but when I tried to call it with my cell
phone, I was unable to click "Receive a fax now", as it was still greyed
out.

What doesn't help is I don't have anyplace to send test faxes to, or have
someone try to send one to me.
--
Nilly
************************

> Look for errors in your faxsetup.log.
> What messages did you get when you reinstalled Windows XP Fax?
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]

I mean the Fax Program provided with Windows XP that you install from
Control Panel > Add/Remove > Windows Components.
That program is called Windows XP Fax.
My suspicion is that your other fax program failed to uninstall completely
preventing the complete installation of Windows XP Fax.
Go ahead and send me your log file.