Fax XP SP2 : fatal error most of the times

Hi,

On WinXP I've used the MS fax function for 2 years without a problem
(only once after a Norton Firewall upgrade, but I've fixed that)
..
A few months ago I've upgraded to SP2. After that I used the fax tool a
few times without a problem.
Last week I've problems sending faxes : the fax monitor shows "An error
occurred while sending the fax", the Fax Console shows a "Fatal error".

I've tested now to send a lot of faxes, also MS Word documents that
I've send before : now they fail! Sometimes just sending a cover sheet
already fails. Sometimes a document or cover sheet succeeds, all the
other times the same document fails. In all the tests I was sending to
the same recipient ... but I did also some tests to others with the same
results : most of the times it fails. The recipient gets a blank page
all the times it fails.

I tried also to uninstall and re-install the fax software and the fax
printer, and I've checked the default county settings.

My MS Firewall is disabled, I use Norton. In the Norton log viewer
there are no entries according to the fax process. Even when I disable
Norton Firewall and AntiVirus : no success.

So it seems that the default MS fax function became unstable.

Someone an idea on how to solve this ?

Kind regards.

Dominiek

Is there any EventLog message from Fax? If yes, what's the details of those
messages?

Thanks,
Anand

--
Ananda Sarkar

purposes only.

"Dominiek Cottem" <d.cottem@skynet.be> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> On WinXP I've used the MS fax function for 2 years without a problem
> (only once after a Norton Firewall upgrade, but I've fixed that)
> .
> A few months ago I've upgraded to SP2. After that I used the fax tool a
> few times without a problem.
> Last week I've problems sending faxes : the fax monitor shows "An error
> occurred while sending the fax", the Fax Console shows a "Fatal error".
>
> I've tested now to send a lot of faxes, also MS Word documents that
> I've send before : now they fail! Sometimes just sending a cover sheet
> already fails. Sometimes a document or cover sheet succeeds, all the
> other times the same document fails. In all the tests I was sending to
> the same recipient ... but I did also some tests to others with the same
> results : most of the times it fails. The recipient gets a blank page
> all the times it fails.
>
> I tried also to uninstall and re-install the fax software and the fax
> printer, and I've checked the default county settings.
>
> My MS Firewall is disabled, I use Norton. In the Norton log viewer
> there are no entries according to the fax process. Even when I disable
> Norton Firewall and AntiVirus : no success.
>
> So it seems that the default MS fax function became unstable.
>
> Someone an idea on how to solve this ?
>
> Kind regards.
>
> Dominiek

Hi Ananda,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes there is a record in the Event Viewer. This is the content :

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Microsoft Fax
Event Category: Outbound
Event ID: 32028
Date: 29-12-2004
Time: 22:00:42
User: N/A
Computer: LATITUDE-C840
An error was encountered while sending a fax. The service will attempt
to resend the fax. If further transmissions fail, please verify that the
phone line, fax sending device, and fax receiving device are working
properly. Sender: Dominiek Cottem. Billing code: . Sender company:
Hermes Database Consulting. Sender dept: . Recipient name: test.
Recipient number: 036118349. Device name: PCTEL 2304WT V.9x MDC Modem.

By the way : in the FaxMonitor I see the the modem is dialling, a
connection is established (sending page 1 of ...) but that connection
fails and after a while the error message comes up.

Thanking you in advance for any help.
Kind regards,

Dominiek

Ananda Sarkar [MSFT] wrote:
> Is there any EventLog message from Fax? If yes, what's the details of those
> messages?
>
> Thanks,
> Anand

Hi Ananda,

Just to complete all available information I post also a ModemLog :

12-30-2004 19:57:37.703 - File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\tapisrv.dll, Version
5.1.2600
12-30-2004 19:57:37.703 - File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\unimdm.tsp, Version
5.1.2600
12-30-2004 19:57:37.703 - File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\unimdmat.dll,
Version 5.1.2600
12-30-2004 19:57:37.703 - File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\uniplat.dll, Version
5.1.2600
12-30-2004 19:57:37.703 - File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\modem.sys,
Version 5.1.2600
12-30-2004 19:57:37.713 - File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\modemui.dll, Version
5.1.2600
12-30-2004 19:57:37.713 - File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\mdminst.dll, Version
5.1.2600
12-30-2004 19:57:37.713 - Modem type: PCTEL 2304WT V.9x MDC Modem
12-30-2004 19:57:37.713 - Modem inf path: oem10.inf
12-30-2004 19:57:37.713 - Modem inf section: Modem1
12-30-2004 19:57:37.713 - Matching hardware ID:
pci\ven_8086&dev_2486&subsys_4c21134d
12-30-2004 19:57:38.144 - 115200,8,N,1, ctsfl=1, rtsctl=2
12-30-2004 19:57:38.144 - Initializing modem.
12-30-2004 19:57:38.154 - Send: AT<cr>
12-30-2004 19:57:38.334 - Recv: AT<cr>
12-30-2004 19:57:38.334 - Command Echo
12-30-2004 19:57:38.334 - Interpreted response: OK
12-30-2004 19:57:38.344 - Send: AT&FE0&C1&D2&K3V1W3S0=0<cr>
12-30-2004 19:57:38.344 - Recv: AT&FE0&C1&D2&K3V1W3S0=0<cr>
12-30-2004 19:57:38.344 - Command Echo
12-30-2004 19:57:38.344 - Interpreted response: OK
12-30-2004 19:57:38.354 - Send: ATS7=60S30=0M0\N3%C3&K3B0N1X4<cr>
12-30-2004 19:57:38.354 - Interpreted response: OK
12-30-2004 19:57:38.354 - Waiting for a call.
12-30-2004 19:57:38.364 - Send: ATS0=0<cr>
12-30-2004 19:57:38.364 - Interpreted response: OK
12-30-2004 19:57:38.734 - Passthrough On
12-30-2004 19:58:31.330 - Passthrough Off
12-30-2004 19:58:31.330 - 115200,8,N,1, ctsfl=1, rtsctl=2
12-30-2004 19:58:31.330 - Initializing modem.
12-30-2004 19:58:31.330 - CD is high while initializing modem.
12-30-2004 19:58:31.340 - Send: AT<cr>
12-30-2004 19:58:31.340 - Interpreted response: OK
12-30-2004 19:58:31.350 - Send: AT&FE0&C1&D2&K3V1W3S0=0<cr>
12-30-2004 19:58:31.350 - Interpreted response: OK
12-30-2004 19:58:31.360 - Send: ATS7=60S30=0M0\N3%C3&K3B0N1X4<cr>
12-30-2004 19:58:31.360 - Interpreted response: OK
12-30-2004 19:58:31.360 - Waiting for a call.
12-30-2004 19:58:31.370 - Send: ATS0=0<cr>
12-30-2004 19:58:31.370 - Interpreted response: OK
12-30-2004 19:58:31.370 - Session Statistics:
12-30-2004 19:58:31.370 - Reads : 24 bytes
12-30-2004 19:58:31.370 - Writes: 64 bytes

Kind regards,

Dominiek

Ananda Sarkar [MSFT] wrote:
> Is there any EventLog message from Fax? If yes, what's the details of those
> messages?
>
> Thanks,
> Anand

I'm having the exact same problem Dominiek reports. I just installed MS FAX
and started having the problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled with no luck.
My event log entry looks just like his, although with a different computer,
fax number, and modem, so the problem does seem to be with MS FAX.

Jeff Griffith

"Ananda Sarkar [MSFT]" <anandsar@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any EventLog message from Fax? If yes, what's the details of
> those
> messages?
>
> Thanks,
> Anand
>
> --
> Ananda Sarkar
> Microsoft Printing, Imaging and Fax Team

> rights.
> Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
> newsgroup
> purposes only.
>
> "Dominiek Cottem" <d.cottem@skynet.be> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> On WinXP I've used the MS fax function for 2 years without a problem
>> (only once after a Norton Firewall upgrade, but I've fixed that)
>> .
>> A few months ago I've upgraded to SP2. After that I used the fax tool a
>> few times without a problem.
>> Last week I've problems sending faxes : the fax monitor shows "An error
>> occurred while sending the fax", the Fax Console shows a "Fatal error".
>>
>> I've tested now to send a lot of faxes, also MS Word documents that
>> I've send before : now they fail! Sometimes just sending a cover sheet
>> already fails. Sometimes a document or cover sheet succeeds, all the
>> other times the same document fails. In all the tests I was sending to
>> the same recipient ... but I did also some tests to others with the same
>> results : most of the times it fails. The recipient gets a blank page
>> all the times it fails.
>>
>> I tried also to uninstall and re-install the fax software and the fax
>> printer, and I've checked the default county settings.
>>
>> My MS Firewall is disabled, I use Norton. In the Norton log viewer
>> there are no entries according to the fax process. Even when I disable
>> Norton Firewall and AntiVirus : no success.
>>
>> So it seems that the default MS fax function became unstable.
>>
>> Someone an idea on how to solve this ?
>>
>> Kind regards.
>>
>> Dominiek

Just thought I'd put my two cents in.

Since I've installed SP2, my system reboots while sending faxes.

Phil

"Dominiek Cottem" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On WinXP I've used the MS fax function for 2 years without a problem
> (only once after a Norton Firewall upgrade, but I've fixed that)
> ..
> A few months ago I've upgraded to SP2. After that I used the fax tool a
> few times without a problem.
> Last week I've problems sending faxes : the fax monitor shows "An error
> occurred while sending the fax", the Fax Console shows a "Fatal error".
>
> I've tested now to send a lot of faxes, also MS Word documents that
> I've send before : now they fail! Sometimes just sending a cover sheet
> already fails. Sometimes a document or cover sheet succeeds, all the
> other times the same document fails. In all the tests I was sending to
> the same recipient ... but I did also some tests to others with the same
> results : most of the times it fails. The recipient gets a blank page
> all the times it fails.
>
> I tried also to uninstall and re-install the fax software and the fax
> printer, and I've checked the default county settings.
>
> My MS Firewall is disabled, I use Norton. In the Norton log viewer
> there are no entries according to the fax process. Even when I disable
> Norton Firewall and AntiVirus : no success.
>
> So it seems that the default MS fax function became unstable.
>
> Someone an idea on how to solve this ?
>
> Kind regards.
>
> Dominiek

I've Googled like crazy looking for a solution to this problem. Is there
really no solution?

Jeff Griffith

"Ananda Sarkar [MSFT]" <anandsar@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any EventLog message from Fax? If yes, what's the details of
> those
> messages?
>
> Thanks,
> Anand
>
> --
> Ananda Sarkar
> Microsoft Printing, Imaging and Fax Team

> rights.
> Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
> newsgroup
> purposes only.
>
> "Dominiek Cottem" <d.cottem@skynet.be> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> On WinXP I've used the MS fax function for 2 years without a problem
>> (only once after a Norton Firewall upgrade, but I've fixed that)
>> .
>> A few months ago I've upgraded to SP2. After that I used the fax tool a
>> few times without a problem.
>> Last week I've problems sending faxes : the fax monitor shows "An error
>> occurred while sending the fax", the Fax Console shows a "Fatal error".
>>
>> I've tested now to send a lot of faxes, also MS Word documents that
>> I've send before : now they fail! Sometimes just sending a cover sheet
>> already fails. Sometimes a document or cover sheet succeeds, all the
>> other times the same document fails. In all the tests I was sending to
>> the same recipient ... but I did also some tests to others with the same
>> results : most of the times it fails. The recipient gets a blank page
>> all the times it fails.
>>
>> I tried also to uninstall and re-install the fax software and the fax
>> printer, and I've checked the default county settings.
>>
>> My MS Firewall is disabled, I use Norton. In the Norton log viewer
>> there are no entries according to the fax process. Even when I disable
>> Norton Firewall and AntiVirus : no success.
>>
>> So it seems that the default MS fax function became unstable.
>>
>> Someone an idea on how to solve this ?
>>
>> Kind regards.
>>
>> Dominiek

Jeff,

I've Googled also, even before my post. I've found nothing, so my only
hope was a post on this news group.
My hope relies on Ananda Sarkar or one of the collegues at MSFT.
I've replied on her question with 2 logs (one of the EventLog and one of
the modem). I hope this will help the MSFT people in finding a solution.
I'm available for all testing and reporting as needed for finding a
solution.

Kind regards,

Dominiek

Jeff Griffith wrote:
> I've Googled like crazy looking for a solution to this problem. Is there
> really no solution?
>
> Jeff Griffith
>

> "Ananda Sarkar [MSFT]" <anandsar@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Is there any EventLog message from Fax? If yes, what's the details of
>>those
>>messages?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Anand
>>
>>--
>>Ananda Sarkar
>>Microsoft Printing, Imaging and Fax Team
>>
>>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>>rights.
>>Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
>>newsgroup
>>purposes only.
>>
>>"Dominiek Cottem" <d.cottem@skynet.be> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>On WinXP I've used the MS fax function for 2 years without a problem
>>>(only once after a Norton Firewall upgrade, but I've fixed that)
>>>.
>>>A few months ago I've upgraded to SP2. After that I used the fax tool a
>>>few times without a problem.
>>>Last week I've problems sending faxes : the fax monitor shows "An error
>>>occurred while sending the fax", the Fax Console shows a "Fatal error".
>>>
>>>I've tested now to send a lot of faxes, also MS Word documents that
>>>I've send before : now they fail! Sometimes just sending a cover sheet
>>>already fails. Sometimes a document or cover sheet succeeds, all the
>>>other times the same document fails. In all the tests I was sending to
>>>the same recipient ... but I did also some tests to others with the same
>>>results : most of the times it fails. The recipient gets a blank page
>>>all the times it fails.
>>>
>>>I tried also to uninstall and re-install the fax software and the fax
>>>printer, and I've checked the default county settings.
>>>
>>>My MS Firewall is disabled, I use Norton. In the Norton log viewer
>>>there are no entries according to the fax process. Even when I disable
>>>Norton Firewall and AntiVirus : no success.
>>>
>>>So it seems that the default MS fax function became unstable.
>>>
>>>Someone an idea on how to solve this ?
>>>
>>>Kind regards.
>>>
>>>Dominiek

Can you please give us the details of the modem that you are using to send
the Fax?

Please verify that the modem is Microsoft certified at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/default.aspx?subid=22&xslt=categoryl2&pgn=01a642fd-2790-420f-90bd-85df6a377206.
Also check if there are any updated drivers for these modems at the
manufacturers site.

--
Archan Das

purposes only.

"Phil Kreiker" <Phil Kreiker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just thought I'd put my two cents in.
>
> Since I've installed SP2, my system reboots while sending faxes.
>
> Phil
>
> "Dominiek Cottem" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On WinXP I've used the MS fax function for 2 years without a problem
> > (only once after a Norton Firewall upgrade, but I've fixed that)
> > ..
> > A few months ago I've upgraded to SP2. After that I used the fax tool a
> > few times without a problem.
> > Last week I've problems sending faxes : the fax monitor shows "An error
> > occurred while sending the fax", the Fax Console shows a "Fatal error".
> >
> > I've tested now to send a lot of faxes, also MS Word documents that
> > I've send before : now they fail! Sometimes just sending a cover sheet
> > already fails. Sometimes a document or cover sheet succeeds, all the
> > other times the same document fails. In all the tests I was sending to
> > the same recipient ... but I did also some tests to others with the same
> > results : most of the times it fails. The recipient gets a blank page
> > all the times it fails.
> >
> > I tried also to uninstall and re-install the fax software and the fax
> > printer, and I've checked the default county settings.
> >
> > My MS Firewall is disabled, I use Norton. In the Norton log viewer
> > there are no entries according to the fax process. Even when I disable
> > Norton Firewall and AntiVirus : no success.
> >
> > So it seems that the default MS fax function became unstable.
> >
> > Someone an idea on how to solve this ?
> >
> > Kind regards.
> >
> > Dominiek

kfa

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2005

Just another two cents. Similar problems though we are using Win XP SP2 and
fax console strictly for incoming faxes. We are using two different pc's -
one is connected to a direct analog phone line and the other is connected to
an analog line through a T1 system. Both were updated with SP2 within the
last few months and since the install of SP2, we've noticed many problems
with fatal errors in receiving faxes, dropping connection, not receiving all
the pages. Have checked our modems against the MS HCL for compatability,
replaced the modems, and had the phone company check the phone lines -- all
seem to check out OK. Nothing else left but SP2. We are considering
uninstalling SP2 for lack of a better solution.
Regards,
KFA

Regards,
KFA

"Archan Das [MSFT]" wrote:

> Can you please give us the details of the modem that you are using to send
> the Fax?
>
> Please verify that the modem is Microsoft certified at
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/default.aspx?subid=22&xslt=categoryl2&pgn=01a642fd-2790-420f-90bd-85df6a377206.
> Also check if there are any updated drivers for these modems at the
> manufacturers site.
>
> --
> Archan Das
>
> Microsoft Printing, Imaging and Fax Team

> Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup
> purposes only.
>
> "Phil Kreiker" <Phil Kreiker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Just thought I'd put my two cents in.
> >
> > Since I've installed SP2, my system reboots while sending faxes.
> >
> > Phil
> >
> > "Dominiek Cottem" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > On WinXP I've used the MS fax function for 2 years without a problem
> > > (only once after a Norton Firewall upgrade, but I've fixed that)
> > > ..
> > > A few months ago I've upgraded to SP2. After that I used the fax tool a
> > > few times without a problem.
> > > Last week I've problems sending faxes : the fax monitor shows "An error
> > > occurred while sending the fax", the Fax Console shows a "Fatal error".
> > >
> > > I've tested now to send a lot of faxes, also MS Word documents that
> > > I've send before : now they fail! Sometimes just sending a cover sheet
> > > already fails. Sometimes a document or cover sheet succeeds, all the
> > > other times the same document fails. In all the tests I was sending to
> > > the same recipient ... but I did also some tests to others with the same
> > > results : most of the times it fails. The recipient gets a blank page
> > > all the times it fails.
> > >
> > > I tried also to uninstall and re-install the fax software and the fax
> > > printer, and I've checked the default county settings.
> > >
> > > My MS Firewall is disabled, I use Norton. In the Norton log viewer
> > > there are no entries according to the fax process. Even when I disable
> > > Norton Firewall and AntiVirus : no success.
> > >
> > > So it seems that the default MS fax function became unstable.
> > >
> > > Someone an idea on how to solve this ?
> > >
> > > Kind regards.
> > >
> > > Dominiek

Mine is a Broadxent DSI V.90 PCI DI3635 and not on the certified list.
However, as the others report, this modem has faxed successfully in the
past. That, too, was before the install of SP2.

Jeff

"Archan Das [MSFT]" <archand@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can you please give us the details of the modem that you are using to send
> the Fax?
>
> Please verify that the modem is Microsoft certified at
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/default.aspx?subid=22&xslt=categoryl2&pgn=01a642fd-2790-420f-90bd-85df6a377206.
> Also check if there are any updated drivers for these modems at the
> manufacturers site.
>
> --
> Archan Das
>
> Microsoft Printing, Imaging and Fax Team

> rights.
>
> Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
> newsgroup
> purposes only.
>
> "Phil Kreiker" <Phil Kreiker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Just thought I'd put my two cents in.
>>
>> Since I've installed SP2, my system reboots while sending faxes.
>>
>> Phil
>>
>> "Dominiek Cottem" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > On WinXP I've used the MS fax function for 2 years without a problem
>> > (only once after a Norton Firewall upgrade, but I've fixed that)
>> > ..
>> > A few months ago I've upgraded to SP2. After that I used the fax tool
>> > few times without a problem.
>> > Last week I've problems sending faxes : the fax monitor shows "An error
>> > occurred while sending the fax", the Fax Console shows a "Fatal error".
>> >
>> > I've tested now to send a lot of faxes, also MS Word documents that
>> > I've send before : now they fail! Sometimes just sending a cover sheet
>> > already fails. Sometimes a document or cover sheet succeeds, all the
>> > other times the same document fails. In all the tests I was sending to
>> > the same recipient ... but I did also some tests to others with the
>> > same
>> > results : most of the times it fails. The recipient gets a blank page
>> > all the times it fails.
>> >
>> > I tried also to uninstall and re-install the fax software and the fax
>> > printer, and I've checked the default county settings.
>> >
>> > My MS Firewall is disabled, I use Norton. In the Norton log viewer
>> > there are no entries according to the fax process. Even when I disable
>> > Norton Firewall and AntiVirus : no success.
>> >
>> > So it seems that the default MS fax function became unstable.
>> >
>> > Someone an idea on how to solve this ?
>> >
>> > Kind regards.
>> >
>> > Dominiek

Thank for your reply Archan.

As you could see in my modem log I've posted before, my modem is a
"PCTEL 2304WT V.9x MDC" and the Microsoft catalogue reference indicates
"Designed for Windows XP".

The driver is v 2.50.52.0 (13-06-2003) and the MS driver update wizard
couldn't find a better match on the Internet than the currently installed.

By the way : I did not have problems before installation of SP2, please
do not forget that.

Kind regards,

Dominiek

Archan Das [MSFT] wrote:
> Can you please give us the details of the modem that you are using to send
> the Fax?
>
> Please verify that the modem is Microsoft certified at
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/default.aspx?subid=22&xslt=categoryl2&pgn=01a642fd-2790-420f-90bd-85df6a377206.
> Also check if there are any updated drivers for these modems at the
> manufacturers site.

Hi everybody involved at MSFT,

In addition to my previous reply (with modem & driver info) some more
results about a test that I did today.
I've installed another fax program & fax printer driver (MightyFax
version 3.13). For your information : sending a fax with this program
failed also and apparently in the same way (dialling OK, connecting OK,
start sending OK and then disconnection and error instead of a
confirmation).
Up to you as MSFT guys to make conclusions. Apparently the problems are
not due to the fax software or fax printer drivers itself, but due to
some 'system components' that all fax software is using or due to some
'system behaviour' in making connections via modem ports (security issue ?).
I rely on MSFT to find a solution.

Kind regards,

Dominiek

Archan Das [MSFT] wrote:
> Can you please give us the details of the modem that you are using to send
> the Fax?
>
> Please verify that the modem is Microsoft certified at
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/default.aspx?subid=22&xslt=categoryl2&pgn=01a642fd-2790-420f-90bd-85df6a377206.
> Also check if there are any updated drivers for these modems at the
> manufacturers site.

Have the same problem and saw some that had tested to use the standarddriver
for fax modem supplied with OP. I will try that tomorrow .... not optimistic
thoe !

"Dominiek Cottem" wrote:

> Hi everybody involved at MSFT,
>
> In addition to my previous reply (with modem & driver info) some more
> results about a test that I did today.
> I've installed another fax program & fax printer driver (MightyFax
> version 3.13). For your information : sending a fax with this program
> failed also and apparently in the same way (dialling OK, connecting OK,
> start sending OK and then disconnection and error instead of a
> confirmation).
> Up to you as MSFT guys to make conclusions. Apparently the problems are
> not due to the fax software or fax printer drivers itself, but due to
> some 'system components' that all fax software is using or due to some
> 'system behaviour' in making connections via modem ports (security issue ?).
> I rely on MSFT to find a solution.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Dominiek
>

> Archan Das [MSFT] wrote:
> > Can you please give us the details of the modem that you are using to send
> > the Fax?
> >
> > Please verify that the modem is Microsoft certified at
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/default.aspx?subid=22&xslt=categoryl2&pgn=01a642fd-2790-420f-90bd-85df6a377206.
> > Also check if there are any updated drivers for these modems at the
> > manufacturers site.

It's a Conexant-Ambit SoftK56 Data Fax ICH Modem internal to my VIAO
PCG-GRX-700 laptop.

The driver I'm using is the latest via Sony: 7/16/2002 5.3.20.0
"Archan Das [MSFT]" wrote:

I'll check for new drivers.

> Can you please give us the details of the modem that you are using to send
> the Fax?
>
> Please verify that the modem is Microsoft certified at
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/default.aspx?subid=22&xslt=categoryl2&pgn=01a642fd-2790-420f-90bd-85df6a377206.
> Also check if there are any updated drivers for these modems at the
> manufacturers site.
>
> --
> Archan Das
>
> Microsoft Printing, Imaging and Fax Team

> Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup
> purposes only.
>
> "Phil Kreiker" <Phil Kreiker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Just thought I'd put my two cents in.
> >
> > Since I've installed SP2, my system reboots while sending faxes.
> >
> > Phil
> >
> > "Dominiek Cottem" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > On WinXP I've used the MS fax function for 2 years without a problem
> > > (only once after a Norton Firewall upgrade, but I've fixed that)
> > > ..
> > > A few months ago I've upgraded to SP2. After that I used the fax tool a
> > > few times without a problem.
> > > Last week I've problems sending faxes : the fax monitor shows "An error
> > > occurred while sending the fax", the Fax Console shows a "Fatal error".
> > >
> > > I've tested now to send a lot of faxes, also MS Word documents that
> > > I've send before : now they fail! Sometimes just sending a cover sheet
> > > already fails. Sometimes a document or cover sheet succeeds, all the
> > > other times the same document fails. In all the tests I was sending to
> > > the same recipient ... but I did also some tests to others with the same
> > > results : most of the times it fails. The recipient gets a blank page
> > > all the times it fails.
> > >
> > > I tried also to uninstall and re-install the fax software and the fax
> > > printer, and I've checked the default county settings.
> > >
> > > My MS Firewall is disabled, I use Norton. In the Norton log viewer
> > > there are no entries according to the fax process. Even when I disable
> > > Norton Firewall and AntiVirus : no success.
> > >
> > > So it seems that the default MS fax function became unstable.
> > >
> > > Someone an idea on how to solve this ?
> > >
> > > Kind regards.
> > >
> > > Dominiek

Hello I too would like to throw my problem into this hat I have a Aopen
FM56-SVV data/fax modem (Conexant chipset HSF soft data/fax modem) which is
supported under microsoft windows xp certification that I also cannot get to
send faxes under Windows XP Fax program I am currently running Windows XP
Home Edition w/SP2 I have installed the most current modem drivers available
(ver 7.12.1.0) from Conexant for their chipset. I have the same problem I
can hear the modem dial out and connect to the fax machine but then it just
hangs and windows xp fax reports a fatal error in sending the fax this modem
has no trouble in hyperterminal connecting to my isp through dialup. I have
included my modem log as well so it to can be analyzed hopefully this issue
is rectified as I wish to once again use my fax

01-10-2005 14:58:32.968 - File: F:\WINDOWS\system32\tapisrv.dll, Version
5.1.2600
01-10-2005 14:58:32.968 - File: F:\WINDOWS\system32\unimdm.tsp, Version
5.1.2600
01-10-2005 14:58:32.968 - File: F:\WINDOWS\system32\unimdmat.dll, Version
5.1.2600
01-10-2005 14:58:32.968 - File: F:\WINDOWS\system32\uniplat.dll, Version
5.1.2600
01-10-2005 14:58:32.984 - File: F:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\modem.sys,
Version 5.1.2600
01-10-2005 14:58:32.984 - File: F:\WINDOWS\system32\modemui.dll, Version
5.1.2600
01-10-2005 14:58:32.984 - File: F:\WINDOWS\system32\mdminst.dll, Version
5.1.2600
01-10-2005 14:58:32.984 - Modem type: SoftV92 Data Fax Modem
01-10-2005 14:58:32.984 - Modem inf path: oem3.inf
01-10-2005 14:58:32.984 - Modem inf section: ModemX
01-10-2005 14:58:32.984 - Matching hardware ID: pci\ven_14f1&dev_2f00
01-10-2005 14:58:33.328 - 115200,8,N,1, ctsfl=1, rtsctl=2
01-10-2005 14:58:33.328 - Initializing modem.
01-10-2005 14:58:33.328 - DSR is low while initializing the modem. Verify
modem is turned on.
01-10-2005 14:58:33.328 - Send: AT<cr>
01-10-2005 14:58:33.328 - Interpreted response: OK
01-10-2005 14:58:33.343 - Send: AT&FE0V1S0=0&C1&D2+MR=2;+DR=1;+ER=1;W2<cr>
01-10-2005 14:58:33.500 - Interpreted response: OK
01-10-2005 14:58:33.500 - Send: ATS7=60M1+ES=3,0,2;+DS=3;+IFC=2,2;X4<cr>
01-10-2005 14:58:33.500 - Interpreted response: OK
01-10-2005 14:58:33.500 - Waiting for a call.
01-10-2005 14:58:33.515 - Send: at+vcid=1<cr>
01-10-2005 14:58:33.515 - Interpreted response: OK
01-10-2005 14:58:33.531 - Send: ATS0=0<cr>
01-10-2005 14:58:33.531 - Interpreted response: OK
01-10-2005 14:59:33.171 - Passthrough On
01-10-2005 15:00:34.609 - Passthrough Off
01-10-2005 15:00:34.609 - 115200,8,N,1, ctsfl=1, rtsctl=2
01-10-2005 15:00:34.609 - Initializing modem.
01-10-2005 15:00:34.609 - DSR is low while initializing the modem. Verify
modem is turned on.
01-10-2005 15:00:34.609 - Send: AT<cr>
01-10-2005 15:00:34.609 - Interpreted response: OK
01-10-2005 15:00:34.625 - Send: AT&FE0V1S0=0&C1&D2+MR=2;+DR=1;+ER=1;W2<cr>
01-10-2005 15:00:34.765 - Interpreted response: OK
01-10-2005 15:00:34.781 - Send: ATS7=60M1+ES=3,0,2;+DS=3;+IFC=2,2;X4<cr>
01-10-2005 15:00:34.781 - Interpreted response: OK
01-10-2005 15:00:34.781 - Waiting for a call.
01-10-2005 15:00:34.796 - Send: at+vcid=1<cr>
01-10-2005 15:00:34.796 - Interpreted response: OK
01-10-2005 15:00:34.812 - Send: ATS0=0<cr>
01-10-2005 15:00:34.812 - Interpreted response: OK

"Phil Kreiker" wrote:

> It's a Conexant-Ambit SoftK56 Data Fax ICH Modem internal to my VIAO
> PCG-GRX-700 laptop.
>
> The driver I'm using is the latest via Sony: 7/16/2002 5.3.20.0
> "Archan Das [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> I'll check for new drivers.
>
> > Can you please give us the details of the modem that you are using to send
> > the Fax?
> >
> > Please verify that the modem is Microsoft certified at
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/default.aspx?subid=22&xslt=categoryl2&pgn=01a642fd-2790-420f-90bd-85df6a377206.
> > Also check if there are any updated drivers for these modems at the
> > manufacturers site.
> >
> > --
> > Archan Das
> >
> > Microsoft Printing, Imaging and Fax Team

> > Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup
> > purposes only.
> >
> > "Phil Kreiker" <Phil Kreiker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Just thought I'd put my two cents in.
> > >
> > > Since I've installed SP2, my system reboots while sending faxes.
> > >
> > > Phil

Hey !
My modem also have conexant inside and I changed to the basic driver for 56
modem witch is supplied with windows .... now it works ! :eek:)

"Phil Kreiker" wrote:

> It's a Conexant-Ambit SoftK56 Data Fax ICH Modem internal to my VIAO
> PCG-GRX-700 laptop.
>
> The driver I'm using is the latest via Sony: 7/16/2002 5.3.20.0
> "Archan Das [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> I'll check for new drivers.
>
> > Can you please give us the details of the modem that you are using to send
> > the Fax?
> >
> > Please verify that the modem is Microsoft certified at
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/default.aspx?subid=22&xslt=categoryl2&pgn=01a642fd-2790-420f-90bd-85df6a377206.
> > Also check if there are any updated drivers for these modems at the
> > manufacturers site.
> >
> > --
> > Archan Das
> >
> > Microsoft Printing, Imaging and Fax Team

> > Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup
> > purposes only.
> >
> > "Phil Kreiker" <Phil Kreiker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Just thought I'd put my two cents in.
> > >
> > > Since I've installed SP2, my system reboots while sending faxes.
> > >
> > > Phil

That's great,Patrik.

Now how and where do I find/install that driver?

Thanks,
Phil

"Patrik S" wrote:

> Hey !
> My modem also have conexant inside and I changed to the basic driver for 56
> modem witch is supplied with windows .... now it works ! :eek:)

Any word yet from Patrik on which generic driver he used to get his conexant
chipset modem working under sp2?

"Phil Kreiker" wrote:

> That's great,Patrik.
>
> Now how and where do I find/install that driver?
>
> Thanks,
> Phil
>
> "Patrik S" wrote:
>
> > Hey !
> > My modem also have conexant inside and I changed to the basic driver for 56
> > modem witch is supplied with windows .... now it works ! :eek:)

Anyone receive any help with this ms fax fatal error problem with Sp2?

"Dominiek Cottem" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On WinXP I've used the MS fax function for 2 years without a problem
> (only once after a Norton Firewall upgrade, but I've fixed that)
> ..
> A few months ago I've upgraded to SP2. After that I used the fax tool a
> few times without a problem.
> Last week I've problems sending faxes : the fax monitor shows "An error
> occurred while sending the fax", the Fax Console shows a "Fatal error".
>
> I've tested now to send a lot of faxes, also MS Word documents that
> I've send before : now they fail! Sometimes just sending a cover sheet
> already fails. Sometimes a document or cover sheet succeeds, all the
> other times the same document fails. In all the tests I was sending to
> the same recipient ... but I did also some tests to others with the same
> results : most of the times it fails. The recipient gets a blank page
> all the times it fails.
>
> I tried also to uninstall and re-install the fax software and the fax
> printer, and I've checked the default county settings.
>
> My MS Firewall is disabled, I use Norton. In the Norton log viewer
> there are no entries according to the fax process. Even when I disable
> Norton Firewall and AntiVirus : no success.
>
> So it seems that the default MS fax function became unstable.
>
> Someone an idea on how to solve this ?
>
> Kind regards.
>
> Dominiek

Hi,
To date I didn't receive any solution for the problem.
Last reaction from the MSFT guys was on January 6th but none with a
solution. They asked for supplementary information. All information is
provided but no reaction anymore. See posts.
My advice : wait with SP2 or downgrade to SP1 if you like to use the fax
functionality of WinXP.
Kind regards,
Dominiek

Shaun091382 wrote:
> Anyone receive any help with this ms fax fatal error problem with Sp2?
>
> "Dominiek Cottem" wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>On WinXP I've used the MS fax function for 2 years without a problem
>>(only once after a Norton Firewall upgrade, but I've fixed that)
>>..
>>A few months ago I've upgraded to SP2. After that I used the fax tool a
>>few times without a problem.
>>Last week I've problems sending faxes : the fax monitor shows "An error
>>occurred while sending the fax", the Fax Console shows a "Fatal error".
>>
>>I've tested now to send a lot of faxes, also MS Word documents that
>>I've send before : now they fail! Sometimes just sending a cover sheet
>>already fails. Sometimes a document or cover sheet succeeds, all the
>>other times the same document fails. In all the tests I was sending to
>>the same recipient ... but I did also some tests to others with the same
>>results : most of the times it fails. The recipient gets a blank page
>>all the times it fails.
>>
>>I tried also to uninstall and re-install the fax software and the fax
>>printer, and I've checked the default county settings.
>>
>>My MS Firewall is disabled, I use Norton. In the Norton log viewer
>>there are no entries according to the fax process. Even when I disable
>>Norton Firewall and AntiVirus : no success.
>>
>>So it seems that the default MS fax function became unstable.
>>
>>Someone an idea on how to solve this ?
>>
>>Kind regards.
>>
>>Dominiek

I've posted all information the MSFT guys asked for, but still no answer
nor solution.
In spite of the other users having the same problem, it is my impression
that MSFT will not provide a solution.
Do we have to downgrade to SP1 ??
Dominiek

Dominiek Cottem wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On WinXP I've used the MS fax function for 2 years without a problem
> (only once after a Norton Firewall upgrade, but I've fixed that)
> .
> A few months ago I've upgraded to SP2. After that I used the fax tool a
> few times without a problem.
> Last week I've problems sending faxes : the fax monitor shows "An error
> occurred while sending the fax", the Fax Console shows a "Fatal error".
>
> I've tested now to send a lot of faxes, also MS Word documents that I've
> send before : now they fail! Sometimes just sending a cover sheet
> already fails. Sometimes a document or cover sheet succeeds, all the
> other times the same document fails. In all the tests I was sending to
> the same recipient ... but I did also some tests to others with the same
> results : most of the times it fails. The recipient gets a blank page
> all the times it fails.
>
> I tried also to uninstall and re-install the fax software and the fax
> printer, and I've checked the default county settings.
>
> My MS Firewall is disabled, I use Norton. In the Norton log viewer
> there are no entries according to the fax process. Even when I disable
> Norton Firewall and AntiVirus : no success.
>
> So it seems that the default MS fax function became unstable.
>
> Someone an idea on how to solve this ?
>
> Kind regards.
>
> Dominiek

Anyone from Microsoft going to answer this one? He's done what you've
asked him to, and the thread goes dead, just like my modem when I'm
trying to send a fax. Hehe, j/k. But seriously, we could really use
some answers here. I would create a new thread, but just about every
post so far on this one is directly relevant to my symptoms.

I'm having the same problem. Tested with mulitple modems that are all
on the HCL list. I'm using VB.NET and the Extended COM Fax library to
programmatically send faxes. I'm faxing in native TIFF format. Most
faxes fail, some make it through, some fail and then make it through on
the retries. I've tried three commas at the end of the phone number to
delay the handshake timout - to no avail. I've tried every variation
of TIFF file imaginable, with no pattern as to the failure. I've tried
PDFs. I've tried bypassing my program and just sending using the Fax
Wizard. On my machine, I can send 50 faxes one day with one or two
problems. I can come back the next day, resend the EXACT SAME tiff
documents, and have 10 of the first 15 randomly fail right in a row.

This isn't an annoyance. This is an extremely serious issue for me and
my company. This problem is affecting our flagship application that
I've spent three months added a faxing system to. We have over 500
client installations of our software, and significant market share.
This faxing thing is a biggie to us. We need some answers on this one
A.S.A.P. I'm also willing to go to ANY lengths to help troubleshoot
and get this resolved.

Microsoft, please resuscitate this thread.

You seem to misunderstand how peer to peer groups work. Microsoft does not
provide support here.
You post seems to have nothing in common with the rest of this thread.
Provide the evidence that it does.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> Anyone from Microsoft going to answer this one? He's done what you've
> asked him to, and the thread goes dead, just like my modem when I'm
> trying to send a fax. Hehe, j/k. But seriously, we could really use
> some answers here. I would create a new thread, but just about every
> post so far on this one is directly relevant to my symptoms.
>
> I'm having the same problem. Tested with mulitple modems that are all
> on the HCL list. I'm using VB.NET and the Extended COM Fax library to
> programmatically send faxes. I'm faxing in native TIFF format. Most
> faxes fail, some make it through, some fail and then make it through on
> the retries. I've tried three commas at the end of the phone number to
> delay the handshake timout - to no avail. I've tried every variation
> of TIFF file imaginable, with no pattern as to the failure. I've tried
> PDFs. I've tried bypassing my program and just sending using the Fax
> Wizard. On my machine, I can send 50 faxes one day with one or two
> problems. I can come back the next day, resend the EXACT SAME tiff
> documents, and have 10 of the first 15 randomly fail right in a row.
>
> This isn't an annoyance. This is an extremely serious issue for me and
> my company. This problem is affecting our flagship application that
> I've spent three months added a faxing system to. We have over 500
> client installations of our software, and significant market share.
> This faxing thing is a biggie to us. We need some answers on this one
> A.S.A.P. I'm also willing to go to ANY lengths to help troubleshoot
> and get this resolved.
>
> Microsoft, please resuscitate this thread.

Russ, first let me say, before my initial post here, I came across
several of your responses trying to help people out w/ similar
problems, and your attention and comments have been useful and
appreciated.

Don't mistake my direct appeal to Microsoft as ignorance as to how
newsgroups work. Of course Microsoft has no direct responsibility to
help in these groups. But two individuals from the MS fax team joined
the thread, asked for details, and then didn't respond. So before I
open a direct help ticket with Microsoft, which I'm sure I'll be doing
in the next day or two, I was trying to help all those on the thread by
asking the fax team (probably the only people who can really help here)
to come back and share what they found, if anything. I don't think
that's an unreasonable request. It may be unreasonable to depend on
getting a response, but it's not unreasonable to ask. I'm trying to
solve a problem, and I will use every avenue available to do so. My
post to this group was an attempt to help others in the same boat.

As far as "providing evidence" that my post is related, I suggest you
read the entire thread, then read my post. As I indicated, my problem
is identical to the problem described in the initial post. It is also
mirrors three others who joined the thread before me.

Again, I am willing to come back with anything that will assist anyone
in offering any insight here.

Chet