I just set up my PC to fax using Win XP Pro. The PC calls the receiving fax
machine, the receiving fax machine answers, but my PC does not recognize that
the line has been picked up and just sits there until the receiving fax
machine hangs up. What's wrong?

You tell us. What error messages appear in the notification window or in
Event Viewer?
Have you ever been able to send successfully with this modem?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Ski" <Ski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just set up my PC to fax using Win XP Pro. The PC calls the receiving
>fax
> machine, the receiving fax machine answers, but my PC does not recognize
> that
> the line has been picked up and just sits there until the receiving fax
> machine hangs up. What's wrong?

Also check if your modem appears in following list of Microsoft Certified
Modems:-
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/default.aspx?subid=22&xslt=categoryl2&pgn=01a642fd-2790-420f-90bd-85df6a377206

--
Mayuri Diwan