FB and Outlook will not load on any browser - all other websites load fine.

Feb 6, 2019
Hi there,

Very recently, Outlook (www.outlook.com) and Facebook (www.facebook.com) stopped loading on Firefox. It stops around the "Performing TLS handshake..." stage, and then gives up, stating "Secure Connection Failed".

I've tried this with IE and Edge, and the same problem results.

Other HTTPS websites load with no problem.

Variations of those two websites URL also fail to load.

This issue does not occur on any other device connected to the same wifi network.

I have updated and subsequently rolled back a network driver (specifically the Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller).
I have flushed DNS.
I reset my IP and router.
I have rolled back to a restore point back in late January.
I've checked my hosts file.
I've tried Firefox in safe mode.
I've tried a new Firefox profile.
I've tried while security is disabled.

Another user suggested I look at my certificates, and I was missing one (DigiCert Global Root G3), so I obtained and installed that, but to no avail.

For context, here was the situation (I think) when this happened.

Our license for Avast Premier had run out, so one or two days later I installed Comodo Antivirus. I believe it was adversely effecting my internet connection (causing it to drop completely every 10-20 minutes or so), so I uninstalled it, along with the "Internet Security Essentials" and Comodo Dragon browser that I didn't ask for. It was at this point I believe the FB and Outlook (which were the only two websites where I had their tabs "pinned" in Firefox (dunno if this is relevant) stopped loading.

I installed Free Avast and Malwarebytes. Scans with Avast reveal nothing. Malwarebytes revealed 7 PUPs, one of which was the firefox prefs.js file.

I'm stumped. The only option I have at this point is to reinstall my OS, but that seems a little extreme. tracert via CMD prompt could have an answer, but I don't know what I'm looking at when I do it, and the same results occur from my other laptop (which load FB and Outlook just fine).

Please help!

Feb 6, 2019
OK, Windows just did a big update and suddenly I can access Outlook and Facebook again. The update was Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809.

Thanks to all who took a look at my problem.

TRENDING THREADS