FCC Fines GPSPS For Multiple Violations

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
surely lying and falsifying evidence should be a criminal offence? People should be going to jail for that. If a person committed fraud and swindled millions of pounds off of people they'd be going to jail and if they lied and falsified evidence to try and get them off the hook that would greatly add to their sentence so why is it that companies just get fined? Especially for less of what they made from the fraud. If CEO's got banged up for such practises i bet they'd stop over night

You are definitely right that it should be, but honestly our government is so messed up when it comes to companies that basically anything they do, they can get out of with relative ease. Usually they don't even get fined, so in a way I feel kinda glad something happened to them, even if it is no where near enough.

Even if they don't start arresting people, she you are right they should, if they find a company has lets say stolen $20 million in illegal extra charges, she should repay all of that and be fined at least an additional 20 percent. At least that is how I feel about it. Anything less, just doesn't adequately pressure companies to stop doing it.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

You are definitely right that it should be, but honestly our government is so messed up when it comes to companies that basically anything they do, they can get out of with relative ease. Usually they don't even get fined, so in a way I feel kinda glad something happened to them, even if it is no where near enough.

Even if they don't start arresting people, she you are right they should, if they find a company has lets say stolen $20 million in illegal extra charges, she should repay all of that and be fined at least an additional 20 percent. At least that is how I feel about it. Anything less, just doesn't adequately pressure companies to stop doing it.

i'm for and against arresting people. the problem is a company gets people as low on the chain as possible and pins it all on them, and the higher ups never go to jail.

hell, we have banks laundering billions for drug cartels and not a single person went to jail over it, they got a measly few hundred million dollar fine, where as they made billions off doing it.

its going to happen soon, and i hope it hits every corporation who does this crap hard, but people cant take much more of this and they will either get someone in office who will change it, or work outside of washington to stop this crap.

brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
First, just as a technical point, the FCC doesn't legislate because they're not a legislature (like Congress or a state legislature). They issue regulations. But that's just a terminology squabble. Haha.

More substantively, I would be interested to see what kind of fines were imposed and more importantly whether the FCC has the authority to grant mandatory restitution costs against a telecommunications provider. That's what they need to have. Or at least the power to sue on behalf of the affected customers.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Ultimately, the CEO of a company is responsible for ALL actions taken by ANYONE within a corporation.

The FCC should present all its findings to the FBI so a Federal Investigator can bring criminal fraud charges against the company. What's the minimum sentence for mail fraud? Telecommunications fraud? Bank fraud? Perjury? That stuff adds up!

Vartiovuori

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
Attempting to falsify evidence ALONE should mean a much bigger fine than that, as well as jail time for the people responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.