FCC, FTC Push Mobile Carriers, Device Makers On Security Risks From Lack Of Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Unless there is a fundamental change to the android ecosystem this is never going to be fixed. Google says they fear version forking yet the very nature of Android is forked between custom Android version between manufactures, models,and then carriers.

tom10167

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
Here's an idea, give us the updates we want, instead of wasting time on crap not one person on earth needs or has ever asked for, like AT&T2Go, AT&T SmartLimits, AT&D Device Manager, AT&T Mobile Locate *breath* AT&T Live, AT&T Locker, AT&T Navigator, AT&T Contact Manager.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Let's face it, this is a way bigger problem than just smartphones. Most companies don't care much about a device past the point the sold it. Phones in general have problems because a company is more interested in pushing it's own paid services than a secure device. But the same thing happens for pretty much any other consumer level device. Think about routers, modems, security systems, and everything else. Most of these systems would be easy to update if manufacturers put a little bit of effort into software design, all it takes is folding in upstream changes.

Most consumers aren't aware of and don't care about security until something happens to them. Unless companies are forced to deal with security through regulation nothing will change.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
My Galaxy S5 is still on Android 5.0, not even 5.0.1. It's ridiculous that OS updates have to go through Samsung AND Verizon (my carrier) before I get them.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
They need to also focus on getting router makers to provide better support for 3rd party firmware. The majority of routers which were vulnerable to the netUSB exploit, have still not received a patch.

Routers are even worst than smartphones when it comes to updates. Most stop receiving updates within 6 months of release, and with many being locked down to a point where you cannot install tomato, dd-wrt, or openwrt, they quickly become a security risk.

My Galaxy S5 is still on Android 5.0, not even 5.0.1. It's ridiculous that OS updates have to go through Samsung AND Verizon (my carrier) before I get them.
Maybe you should get an iPhone or buy a google nexus phone. Updates come right away, and long after the carrier stops selling them.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Maybe you should get an iPhone or buy a google nexus phone. Updates come right away, and long after the carrier stops selling them.

I'll consider a Google Nexus when Google adds a mSDHC slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.