alexbruce

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Hey everyone,

Sorry to be a pain in the ass but I have been googling my ass off for hours now trying to find the .exe of fdisk which will work with xp/vista, I did have several bookmarks but due to a pc **** up i wiped my HDD and lost them all..

If someone can link me up or has one to share I would muchious gracias.

Alex.

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
try using ultimatebootcd.com, on the cd you download for free is a replacement which will do the same job.

goto the forums and get the new beta v5.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
AND once you get your os reinstalled,,have it make a boot floppy?? for you it will contain fdisk,there is also a utility called xfdisk I think you can find it at www.majorgeeks.com ....:)

alexbruce

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Thanks for replies guys, I already have most hdd tools available but needed fdisk to put on a floppy for work purposes.... Any ideas where to get it anyone?

Alex.

siebes

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
In Vista, instead of using Fdisk, you can use diskpart. It is a disk partitioning tool that can be scripted or run via the command line.

Type diskpart to bring up the diskpart shell and then ? will get you some help information.

Use "select" to select which item you would like to work on. Continue to use select until you get to the end device you want to work on.

Example: if you want to delete the 1st partition on disk 2, which is a non-standard partition that Disk Manager won't let you delete ($%#@!!)

1) list disk - This will show you a list of all the disks in the system. You can use this to verify that the disk you want to select is number 2. You'd hate to delete the wrong partition...
2) select disk 2 - This will select disk 2 as your disk you'd like to work on
3) list partition - This will show you a list of the partitions on disk 2. You will see that partition 1 is the one you want to delete.
4) select partition 1 - This will select partition 1 as your partition you'd like to do work on
5) delete partition override - This will delete the partition and will force it. Override is not necessary for standard partition types.
6) exit - Exits the diskpart shell

Done!!

You can follow the similar logic for creating & formatting partitions as well and working with the Windows software RAID functions.

Hope that helped
Siebes