FDISK-Logical Drive Problem

G

I'm trying to totally reformat a drive that had a non-dos partition as the primary and an extended dos partition. I used FDISK to delete the non-dos without a problem, but when I went to do the same in the extended partition I had logical drive problems. FDISK reported a logical drive in the extended partition, but it could not display one, nor could I do anything to get the logical to display, or to remove it so I could remove the partition (it was a circle, have to delete the logical drive first, but FDISK can't display or locate it, therefore, no other actions can be completed). Anyone have any ideas short of buying something like partition magic?

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can try to used the drive utility provide by the hard drive manufacture. I used to repartition my hard drive with IBM's drive utility. It does not require me to remove old partitions before I repartition my hard drive.

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Ya, you have to delete logical drives, then extended partitions, then non-dos partitions or primary partitions. I'm suprised it let you delete the non-dos partition first. Try running the windows 2000 setup and then delete the partitions in the setup before the installation. You could also use a partition program or a hard drive image program like drive image pro 4 or norton ghost, they'll do the trick for sure.

-- Chaos is the better order.

G

Thanks for the ideas. I went to the HD manufacturer's site (WD) and downloaded their utilities. WD would not work with the non-dos partition, so I tried Seagate's; worked fine. So, problem solved and I have another useable drive.

Thanks Again.