MindCrime

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Have any of you had a good look at the new NEC FE991-SB?

I have the FE950+, and those damn, fine lines annoy me to no end.

I haven't found a FE991SB in my area to take a look at. I'm wondering if those ANNOYING damper wires shadows are still a factor in NECs aperture grille, or if they've found a way to correct this in the New FE series.

If any of you have one, or have seen one, let me know if this is still a "Problem". I say "Problem" cause NEC classifies it as "normal". Oh well, I still don't like it :)

<b>If it aint broke then, hell, you aint looking at it in the right frame of mind!</b>

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
They still have the damper wire shadows. The only way to "fix" the problem would be to remove them However this would make the vertical wire vibrate so much the unit would be practically unusable.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Monitorsdirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>

MindCrime

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Thanks for the response. Makes total sense to me. I was just hoping that they had found a way to make this less noticable.

Also, I've researched this quite a bit, and the reason I was interested in this particular monitor is because I have 1 FE950+ already. I was piecing together another computer, and since the new FE series just hit, it made sense to try one of the newer models. However, It seems that the price for this newer one is usually less than the 950+. Makes me wonder which is the better of these two.

I guess my thinking was, New would be better, but the demand and price reflect different.

Anyone have any opinions on the differences? If one is better than the other?

<b>If it aint broke, then hell, you aint looking at it in the right frame of mind!</b>

Vince0000

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Nice post mindcrime... I had the FE950+ in my specs for my new system in the next few weeks for $456.00 Canadian.

I was just placing my order and now the FE950+ is being replaced with the FE991SB the 2002 model, Plus I got a price of $417.00 on it...

Newer monitor for a better price, plus I the 991SB has a SuperBright Diamondtron Totally-Flat CRT... Toms Hardware here said the Diamondtron tubes are the way to go now so I'm trying the 991SB...

Let me know if anyone has any quirks with this monitor as I will be buying soon.

Thanks,
Vince

bmx

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
I have owned an FE991-SB for almost one month. The monitor is excellent for viewing photos and DVDs using its super brightness mode 1 or 2. My main complaint is its geometry distortion that can't be resolved using all possible OSD adjustments. With Nokia Monitor Test, it can be seen that vertical lines in the middle of bottom screen are not strictly straight. I have a 21" Trinitor (DELL) at my office which is much better with respect to the geometry distortion problems.

Hope the info will be helpful to you for choosing your monitor.

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
If damper wires bother you but you want the advantages of aperature grille, you should take a look at slot mask type crts which claim to have characteristics of aperature grilles without the wires. I think LG makes some of this type of monitor.

Quality is better than name brand, even regarding beloved AMD.

MindCrime

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
I've now owned 3 of these new FE991SB monitors. The reason: There's a distortion/discoloring in the lower left hand corner that I've seen in all three.

Obviously, I've moved ALL electronic/speaker equipment far away from the monitor to see if that was the problem and I still see this "yellow" color there.

Unless I'm in some sorta electromagnetic field of some sort, I have no other conclusion but to say there's a problem with this run of monitors.

However, I'm always open to other ideas.

Any of you guys out there that own this monitor see this distortion/problem?? I'd be greatful to find out.

It seems to show it's ugly head only when the monitor has been on for a while, or out of sleep mode. Each brightness setting shows it as well.

The way I've seen it the worst is on a solid red background (although a white one shows the yellow very well). It actually shows as purple in the trouble area.

Again. If anyone has seen this as well. Please let me know. I'm about to return this one too.

Thanks.

<b>If it aint broke, then hell, you aint looking at it in the right frame of mind!</b>

max_clif

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
Isnt there a Screen setting on monitor that allows you to change the "Landing" on each corner of screen? That would fix it for u.

MindCrime

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
I'm not sure what you mean, but if you're talking about how far the screen goes to the edge, then yes I can adjust that easily. But, This isn't the problem.

I'm talking about a 5inch or so area on the actual monitor screen in the lower left hand that is discolored.

If that's not what you're talking about, then please be more specific. I have lots of setting on this thing :) I'd love to find the fix, if there is one.

Thanks.

max_clif

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
Ok on higher end monitors there is a setting called LANDING that changes the color on each of the 4 corners, it will fix problems like what you described.

For a Sony, it's under the Screen setting, then within that menu there is a control called LANDING. Within there, there is an adjustment for each of the 4 corners.

I hope your monitor has such a setting. But I also hate to think prices of monitors has gone up because nobody knows about or how to use this feature and have been returning a perfectly good monitor :p

Hope you can fix this

MindCrime

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
HA!

Well, the first one had something jarred loose inside the actual case of the monitor. Tilt it to one side, it made loose metal sound. Tilt it the other way, it fell against the other side of the wall. Probably the shielding plates or something. This was done by ups, noted by the huge break in the side of the monitors box. That alone made me send it back, and the company I bought from was going to pursue ups for the damages.

The second monitor came with an even bigger gash in the side, and this time, the ups guy told me about it and asked me if I wanted to make a note of it. Duh!

This one had an actual mark on the case of the monitor from how far that gash went in on the side of the box. It literally "burned" some of the plastic bag that was around the monitor onto the case.

So all this time I'm thinking that they dropped it, banged it, or whatever, which was causing this problem.

The first one I sent back obviously had other issues. The slightest sound made the screen "vibrate", and I adjusted the Moire settings to try and correct that. Newp, it didn't work.

So no, I tried all the setting on the first two. It was only after this one came in PERFECT condition (No dings, or anything) that I started to worry that it was a manufacturer flaw.

So I doubt I single handedly raised the monitor prices all over the world. Although, that'd be cool to think I had that much power :)

I tried the settings, but I don't really know much about them. I tinker, but hey, if I don't really know which one might fix it, then I figured I'd ask someone who might.

Hence the Post :)

Thanks again for the help.
I'll look around the settings a little more carefully.

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
If it's the same corner color purity (discoloration) after a few monitors, then it may be magnetic interference near the monitor. Try a different locations and rooms and see if the same problem persists, if so you then it's probably the monitor. The landing or purity control is hard to miss. When you change it, the color of the selected corner will change dramatically in color especially on a white background.

Quality is better than name brand, even regarding beloved AMD.