[SOLVED] Fear of PSU failing.

prospektser

Commendable
Nov 6, 2017
Hello,

this question has been asked here a lot for sure, but I was wondering if I should be worried. Basically over like 2 months ago my RX 580 just died out of nowhere. My whole PC just shut down because of it. Upon further inspection and showing the card to an expert in this matter I came to a conclusion that one of the components of the card had malfuctioned. The component was basically blown, which means, as I was told, that there was too much power going through the card at that time. Now, I had discarded the fact that it could have been my PSU that caused this for the last 2 months until recently (because the GPU I bought was used). My PSU is the infamous Corsair VS550 (grey unit). I recently stumbled upon the horrific quality and reviews from big names like LinusTechTips and so on. Soon I might have enough money to buy myself a new GPU as I am eager to be gaming again, but this thought of the PSU is haunting me all the time now.

My friend lent me his very old HD 5450 which can barely run old titles, but it's something, at least I can boot on my pc. I have noticed strange noises recently coming from my PC and me being paranoid about my PSU makes me even more scared, although it could be the HD 5450 that's making the noise as it is cooling itself.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 2600
16GB 3000Mhz Ram
Corsair VS550
WD Blue 1TB
SSD 120GB

Solution
In general I would suggest a PSU that is atleast 80+ bronze and rated for safety in general and it shouldn't throw your back for that much money

I would suggest an EVGA with wattage depending on the GPU you wanna buy.
shouldn't cost that much

Going by an efficiency rating is not a good way to choose a PSU. There are plenty of junk units that are 80 plus bronze rated(even gold units that are bad). EVGA also has a bunch of low quality units that are no better to even worse than the OPs VS.

Prospektser, Atleast the grey VS's are better than the older orange and green model and should be ok with a 5450. If it does fail the chances of it damaging anything is fairly low. But when you get a better GPU make sure to get a better PSU...

Kevinoli2005k

Prominent
Apr 29, 2019
In general I would suggest a PSU that is atleast 80+ bronze and rated for safety in general and it shouldn't throw your back for that much money

shouldn't cost that much

bignastyid

Titan

shouldn't cost that much

Going by an efficiency rating is not a good way to choose a PSU. There are plenty of junk units that are 80 plus bronze rated(even gold units that are bad). EVGA also has a bunch of low quality units that are no better to even worse than the OPs VS.

Prospektser, Atleast the grey VS's are better than the older orange and green model and should be ok with a 5450. If it does fail the chances of it damaging anything is fairly low. But when you get a better GPU make sure to get a better PSU with it

Solution

TRENDING THREADS