Feature request for MAME32

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004
404
0
18,780
Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Hi All,
Before I post this on the MAME32 board I thought I would post it here to
see what other people thought. There are two features I think would be
great for MAME32 (or for that matter any front end).

Passwords... This can either be on a per game basis or globaly. It
could be used to stop my kids playing 18 rated games or even stopping
them playing MAME all together (forget about cruelty to kids, mine
adjust all the settings and stuff).

A search field like iTunes, you type in a small part of the discriptor
and the main ROM field filters down till you get to the one you want.

of course I am not demanding these features, nor do I expect them
implemented, but I thought I would band them about.
--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Despite all prevention efforts, MCR <mcr@lazarusnospam.org.uk> wrote in
news:d4o57q$k4f$1@domitilla.aioe.org:

>
> A search field like iTunes, you type in a small part of the discriptor
> and the main ROM field filters down till you get to the one you want.
>
> of course I am not demanding these features, nor do I expect them
> implemented, but I thought I would band them about.

I like this one. It would make things easier to find when you know a
partial name, especially if you have your list grouped to show the
parent/child romset relationships.

--
Slor
 

hp

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
44
0
18,530
Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

"MCR" <mcr@lazarusnospam.org.uk> wrote in message
news:d4o57q$k4f$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> Hi All,
> Before I post this on the MAME32 board I thought I would post it here to
> see what other people thought. There are two features I think would be
> great for MAME32 (or for that matter any front end).
>
> Passwords... This can either be on a per game basis or globaly. It could
> be used to stop my kids playing 18 rated games or even stopping them
> playing MAME all together (forget about cruelty to kids, mine adjust all
> the settings and stuff).
>
> A search field like iTunes, you type in a small part of the discriptor and
> the main ROM field filters down till you get to the one you want.
>
> of course I am not demanding these features, nor do I expect them
> implemented, but I thought I would band them about.
> --
> MAME(TM) - History In The Making...

Delete all Mahjong games and related items instantly :)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

MCR wrote on 27. April 2005:
>
> Before I post this on the MAME32 board I thought I would post it here
> to see what other people thought. There are two features I think
> would be great for MAME32 (or for that matter any front end).

Don't bother with it. You soon have MacOS. :)

> Passwords... This can either be on a per game basis or globaly. It
> could be used to stop my kids playing 18 rated games or even stopping
> them playing MAME all together (forget about cruelty to kids, mine
> adjust all the settings and stuff).

If you have a system with file permissions (Linux, MacOS, Windows W2K/XP)
you can use this. Every user has an account. If you can tell MAME32 to
grab roms from a different location than the roms folder underneath you
can just put certain roms in that directory for that account. Assuming
MAME32 allows different users.

Easier in Linux (robaly MacOS so). Each user has an own configuration
file where you can tell it where to find the roms. Same here that you
point it to a directory with links to the "harmless" roms. You could even
create just links to those files and save space not copying the files.
--
By(e) Andreas
U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>
Old school arcade classics at http://www.tombstones.org.uk/~ankman/
Linux without installation? http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
OE user? Ease the pain and try the better newsreader http://xnews.newsguy.com/
Registered as user #289125 with the Linux Counter http://counter.li.org/
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

MCR wrote:

> A search field like iTunes, you type in a small part of the discriptor
> and the main ROM field filters down till you get to the one you want.
>
> of course I am not demanding these features, nor do I expect them
> implemented, but I thought I would band them about.

I'd like this as well. I'd also like to be able to have an explorer
type view where you can collapse the parents and it hides the clones :)

--
Super Mike
"Mi asno querría un enano y un yate, por favor."
[My donkey would like a midget and a yacht, please.]
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

i second this mahjong request!
haha
k.


"HP" <NoEmailPlease@Email.Com> wrote in message
news:d4ocag$csi$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>
> "MCR" <mcr@lazarusnospam.org.uk> wrote in message
> news:d4o57q$k4f$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> > Hi All,
> > Before I post this on the MAME32 board I thought I would post it here to
> > see what other people thought. There are two features I think would be
> > great for MAME32 (or for that matter any front end).
> >
> > Passwords... This can either be on a per game basis or globaly. It
could
> > be used to stop my kids playing 18 rated games or even stopping them
> > playing MAME all together (forget about cruelty to kids, mine adjust all
> > the settings and stuff).
> >
> > A search field like iTunes, you type in a small part of the discriptor
and
> > the main ROM field filters down till you get to the one you want.
> >
> > of course I am not demanding these features, nor do I expect them
> > implemented, but I thought I would band them about.
> > --
> > MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
>
> Delete all Mahjong games and related items instantly :)
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Anti_Freak_Machine <haywood@jablome.com> wrote in news:YWPbe.8108$CH.2343
@news-wrt-01.socal.rr.com:

> I'd also like to be able to have an explorer
> type view where you can collapse the parents and it hides the clones :)

Well, you don't want to do that in the case of games where only the clones
work and the parents don't. :)
 

Mike

Splendid
Apr 1, 2004
3,865
0
22,780
Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:48:56 +0100, MCR wrote:

> of course I am not demanding these features, nor do I expect them
> implemented, but I thought I would band them about.

Well why not submit them as a feature suggestion at MAME32's home page?
http://www.classicgaming.com/mame32qa/

Also, give ZetaMAME a butcher's:
http://www.mbox32.com/zeta/
Added some nifty little features, who knows, the author might be faster to
implement one of your suggestions than the MAME32 guys.

I think the search box is useful - although you can of course just start
typing the name and it will scroll you to the appropriate name, as in any
file list in Windows.
Not so sure about the password feature - in my opinion that's nothing to do
with MAME, just adds clutter, and should be implemented at the OS level
(ie. just set up another password-protected account).

Mike