Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803 (Takes too long to install)

dopperrottery

Commendable
Jun 6, 2018
I just got an ssd so i figured I would install the windows fresh on it.
I've got an I5 8400, GTX 1060, GIGABYTE M.2 PCIe SSD 256GB, 8GB DDR4 RAM. For 4 long hours the feature update to windows 10 version 1803 got to only 46%. Without this update I can't install the nvidia drivers and many other things.

Why does it take so long?

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is way too long for a version update on an ssd. It should only take 30 minutes to upgrade to 1803. I do believe its stuck. Is there any sign of life?

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - even if you had an installer already, as this will be windows 10 1809, skip 1803 altogether, since it got released (again) last week.

Fresh install that on ssd and then you only 1 update behind (and its just a cumulative update)

Colif

Win 11 Master

not if they using an older version of ISO, like whatever might be on a retail USB from a shop. Not everyone knows win 10 is updated with a new version every 6 months. Or cares.

dopperrottery

Commendable
Jun 6, 2018

The update just got to 48%. I don't have another pc but thanks a lot for the link. I'll use it in the future. I guess I'll have to wait.

dopperrottery

Commendable
Jun 6, 2018

Yep, I have an older version on an usb.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is it still installing it before the initial restart or its sat on the screens after the restart for 4 hours before it moved again? Fact win 10 installs half the update files before it asks you to restart makes knowing when it froze difficult.

leaves me a little concerned as your system should have eaten the install process.