[SOLVED] Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2 - Error 0x80070005

Status
Not open for further replies.

michman

Commendable
Jan 15, 2019
I have been trying to update to ver 20H2 since it was available with no success. I keep getting Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2 - Error 0x80070005. Windows updated with no problems up until this update version. I have tried everything I could find on MS website with no success. I have also tried several things I have found on the web also with no success. Anybody else having this problem? What's the answer

Solution
I have encountered that error in many system and could be cause by many different issues.
It could be cause by an Antivirus, outdated graphics drivers, corrupted files and even a disk with less that 10GB of space available could give you that error.

-Performing a repair upgrade using a Windows 10 iso file have help on most of them.
During the setup I select 'Not right now' for updates and also keep files and apps.

-Also the Windows Update troubleshooter have helped on a couple of systems.
Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot.

-Cleaning the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution have helped also.

And in some systems a combination of those steps have also helped.

By the way, reinstalling the same version of Windows does...
I have been trying to update to ver 20H2 since it was available with no success. I keep getting Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2 - Error 0x80070005. Windows updated with no problems up until this update version. I have tried everything I could find on MS website with no success. I have also tried several things I have found on the web also with no success. Anybody else having this problem? What's the answer
It could be a program, like an antivirus, preventing Windows from updating certain registry entries.
Do you have an antivirus on your system?
Could you check the 'setuperr.log' file located on C:\Windows and see if you find any program listed that might be preventing the update from installing.

Error 0x80070005 is a permissions error. Simply disabling 3rd party AV and such may not be enough. Uninstall any 3rd party AV and security software and try again.
Adding to that...after uninstalling Norton, the permissions might be still left behind.
In that case, download and run the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool and clean all files, settings, and registries entries left behind.
Update Windows then reinstall Norton.

By the way, updating Norton manually and rebooting might allow the update to install...at least that was the result on a laptop with Norton 360.

michman

Commendable
Jan 15, 2019
OK did the Norton remove and reinstall and the tried windows update again. Still won't update to 20H2. I beginning to think I'm headed to a fresh install

Last edited:

paca32249

Reputable
May 31, 2018
I have been trying to update from ver 1909 to ver 20H2 since it was available with no success. I keep getting Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2 - Error 0x80070005. Windows updated with no problems up until this update version. I have tried everything I could find on MS website with no success. I have also tried several things I have found on the web also with no success. Anybody else having this problem? What's the answer
Hi. It's now July 7/21 and I decided to Google this issue because my pc won't do the same update. Every update/upgrade to this one was successful and no problems. This problem has been ongoing for me for a year or more. This is what I thought was a guarantee fix. I phoned Microsoft twice. The first time he confirmed that it's a permissions error. He was on my pc for 2 hours and had no luck. He then came up with what he said would work, guaranteed. He downloaded new, clean Win 10 files, everything that he said would work. When this operation started, he told me that it would take a while but it WILL WORK SO DON'T WORRY. (yah right). But because it would take a while, he had to go but told me that he would contact me via email to ask for the results. Guess what? NADA. It didn't work and I couldn't get a hold of him and just gave up but kept trying from "retry".
About 6 months later I phone them again and same thing. This guy tried and he was on my pc for 5 hours trying everything in existence, even what the other guy did with same nana results. He tried the Media Creation tool route and I thought that it would finally work. Again, he left because it would take a while and again, in typical Microsoft not-giving-a-crap style, he never got back to me because he guaranteed it and told me that it wouldn't be necessary. I wish that I couldn't got hold of this dicks to let them know, but I couldn't.
I didn't want a clean install at that point because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It's not killing me and my 'puter still runs great. I don't miss what it has to offer so again, I just gave up. I do keep trying the "retry" once a week, just to see and still nada.
About 3 months ago, I got a hold of Leo Notenboom, the ex-Microsoft techie and this one puzzled him as well and told me that it is indeed a permissions thing, and the only advice that he had was to format C and do a clean install
Now I decided to wait until Win 11 is released, and at that point, I will probably buy a new Win 11 from SCDKey or somewhere for a lot cheaper than Microsoft. It's no biggie because my 500 gb Evo C: is only for the operating system, so if anything goes wrong, I don't lose anything, but time.
The way it is now, I figure if Microsoft can't fix it, nobody can. If I get energetic sooner that Win 11, I'll buy the new Win 10 Pro and clean install, and then let Win 11 update normally.
I will check back occasionally to see if anyone had success. I apologize if this is too lengthy a read but I tried to included as much info as needed. Good luck. Paca

Last edited:
I have encountered that error in many system and could be cause by many different issues.
It could be cause by an Antivirus, outdated graphics drivers, corrupted files and even a disk with less that 10GB of space available could give you that error.

-Performing a repair upgrade using a Windows 10 iso file have help on most of them.
During the setup I select 'Not right now' for updates and also keep files and apps.

-Also the Windows Update troubleshooter have helped on a couple of systems.
Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot.

-Cleaning the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution have helped also.

And in some systems a combination of those steps have also helped.

By the way, reinstalling the same version of Windows does not require a new activation key.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.