features of overclocking motherboard

nawabkhan_u

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
hello,
Iam new to overclocking.so iam asking this questions.
i know that intel uses z series motherboard for overclocking k series processors.
there are lot of z series mother boards available now.
how to choose right motherboard and smps for overclocking?
asus z170 k,z 170 p,z170 A are motherboards from asus for overclocking the unlocked cpus.
what is the differennce between this three motherboards?

what are the features available for overclocking while comparing a low end z series motherboard($120) and high end motherboard($200)?

what is mean by right power delivery,phase while overclocking?
All the z series motherboard have such kind of features?

why most of the users turn off multi core enhancement and prefer manual overclocking?
In some threads i read that while mce is on the vcore voltage is not stable. it increases the heat.
so they prefer manual overclocking.
is this true?

does mild overclocking(4.7 ghz on all cores) require higher end motherboard?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
you kind of lost me with your English there near the end, but here's what you need to know in short.

For ASUS, you have the different letters that basically tell you how many extra bells and whistles the board comes with and sometimes can determine it's potential for overclocks on your CPU.
How good of an overclocker your CPU is will also determine how far it can go.
This is also something that requires proper cooling for the CPU as higher overclocks will require higher voltage settings which causes more heat output so proper cooling is a must have.

For me personally, I turn off things like MCE and just sync all cores and go manual with voltage and multiplier. I also adjust the load line level until I stop getting v-droop to ensure that the voltage is consistent and stable. It's ok if it goes up automatically like it will as long as it's not dropping down when CPU is under load.

Yes, the Z series is what you go for when it comes to wanting to overclock a K series CPU from Intel.

So as for what motherboard you want to go with will depend on a few factors:

Are you looking to get the highest overclocks of all time (or at least attempt to)?
Or are you fine with a sizable bump for performance and leave it at that?

Do you require some of the ridiculous extra's that come with some higher end boards or not?

Does the looks of the board mean anything to you? If so, what matters design wise? Is RGB a must have?

Should it be a full size ATX board or MicroATX?

Should it have support for 4 RAM sticks for potential quad channel or is two slots for dual channel setup just fine?

These are things you should answer to yourself (and us if you want suggestions for boards) when deciding on a motherboard.

Build quality is also a factor as well, as some boards, even those made by high quality brands, are of a low quality and aren't worth the money saved.

nawabkhan_u

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
MERGED QUESTION
Question from nawabkhan_u : "Over clocking features of motherboard"

hello,
Iam new to overclocking.so iam asking this questions.
i know that intel uses z series motherboard for overclocking k series processors.
there are lot of z series mother boards available now.
how to choose right motherboard and smps for overclocking?
asus z170 k,z 170 p,z170 A are motherboards from asus for overclocking the unlocked cpus.
what is the difference between this three motherboards?

while comparing a low end z series motherboard($120) and a high end motherboard($200) what are the difference in features on both of this for overclocking?

what is mean by right power delivery,phase while overclocking?
All the z series motherboard have such kind of features?

why most of the users turn off multi core enhancement and prefer manual overclocking?
In some threads i read that while mce is on the vcore voltage is not stable. it increases the heat.
so they prefer manual overclocking.
is this true?

does mild overclocking(4.7 ghz on all cores) require higher end motherboard?
I have i7 8700k.

TRENDING THREADS