Question Fed up really. Help would be good.

DarkwingMkII

Honorable
Feb 28, 2014
Hello, pretty worn out from this being an ongoing issue. But a point in the right direction would be great. Essentially, playing games on my PC cause it to shutdown, and lose power, i have to disconnect at power source to turn it back on. Also weirdly enough my left Alt Key seems to do this too. Very annoying as I cant AltTab. FYI onscreen keyboard alt does not shut down.

Ive taken this comp to so many computer repair places to be charged an arm and a leg, be told they've fixed the issue, just to have it happen again. Now after going back to an olddd post on this forum about the issue, someone told me they were almost certain it was the HDD. A common model of Seagate harddrive that is listed in my specs.

So i noticed recently my blue HDD light on the case has been flickering red, and wiped all my years of data, bought a new hard drive Wd Red EZRZ which isnt even 7200rpm i downgraded to 5000, and i cant even BLOODY test the thing because I've put Windows 8.1 on it, but i cant connect to the internet because my Ethernet controller has gone funny. No network adapter driver it reckons.

So ive searched online, downloaded mobo adapters on my phone, transferred them, tried to install them . And bang. nothing. Even tried my motherboard driver CD. Doesnt work. Where to from here?? Im lost. might try reinstalling windows 8.1... send help please haha im gonna lose it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your motherboard may be in good condition but your power supply unit might be short selling it the right Voltages. If you hae a multimeter, see what you get on the 5V and 12V rails.

Another suggestion would be to use a Linux system for trials before trading down to Windows.

DarkwingMkII

Honorable
Feb 28, 2014
Your motherboard may be in good condition but your power supply unit might be short selling it the right Voltages. If you hae a multimeter, see what you get on the 5V and 12V rails.

Another suggestion would be to use a Linux system for trials before trading down to Windows.
The PSU was actually upgraded about a year ago. Would this affect it at all? Where abouts am I placing the multimeter pins? Psu or Mobo?

DarkwingMkII

Honorable
Feb 28, 2014

Oh and unfortunately i dont have Linux available to me at the moment

The PSU was actually upgraded about a year ago. Would this affect it at all? Where abouts am I placing the multimeter pins? Psu or Mobo?

A lot can happen in a year. Boxes full of circuitry have been known to fail overnight.

Two in one - if you have another machine, you could download a Linux system and burn it on t a DVD or a USB stick using Rufus to create a bootable system. Mint is a decent starter version.

They seem to be better at finding drivers than MS systems, IMHO.

DarkwingMkII

Honorable
Feb 28, 2014

A lot can happen in a year. Boxes full of circuitry have been known to fail overnight.

Two in one - if you have another machine, you could download a Linux system and burn it on t a DVD or a USB stick using Rufus to create a bootable system. Mint is a decent starter version.

They seem to be better at finding drivers than MS systems, IMHO.
Ill definitely try that then but may take some time to get access to another machine.

DarkwingMkII

Honorable
Feb 28, 2014
Please list full pc spec including make and model of psu. A poor quality psu could easily start to fail in under a year.
The best i can see at the moment (as i dont recall from purchase) is Seasonic 100-240VAC sticker on the front doesn't really answer the question but at the moment my PC is doing a reset so i cant take psu out

Last edited: