Fedora 26 Boots To Bash (No X Server) (like runlevel 3, identifies as runlevel 5)

CONVERSION

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
So I was trying to install cwiid (https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=841691) to allow me to use my Wii remote on Fedora 26.

Looking through the dependencies (info on the first x86_64 link) I saw libbluetooth.so.3()(64bit). So I found that (https://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=libbluetooth.so.3()(64bit)) and downloaded the x86_64 rawhide RPM, Firefox asked me to open or save, I chose open, and it opened Software Install, like usual.

I clicked Install, typed in my password, and it started installing. Part way through, my mouse stopped responding, then my music. It kept installing, then once it finished my PC crashed (rebooted).

Now, when I try to boot (6 minutes, any help with that appreciated too haha), I get a command line interface asking for fedora-(myname)-gamingpc login:
I can log in with my username, then password, then it seems to go to a runlevel-3 like state, essentially like a full-screen terminal window.

Typing "runlevel" shows that the current runlevel is 5 (which is graphical.target, or what should be the GUI). Trying init 5 does nothing, as it already seems to be at runlevel 5. "init 3" changes nothing on screen but "runlevel" identifies as runlevel 3. Going back to runlevel 5 does nothing. I've also tried "systemctl isolate graphical.target" to no avail. "systemctl get-default"

Booting with a different kernel also does nothing. The main kernel I use is 8-300 (as 9-300 just infinitely creates and removes my user slice on boot, yet another issue i need help with haha) but I still have 4.12.5-300 which produces the same symptoms.

Solution
Try deleting the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file first. You could also remove all the xorg packages and purge the config files, then reinstall them from the repository. Note that it's been a while since I last touched a RPM-based system, so I can't tell you much more.
You should normally be able to reinstall anew provided you keep the /home directory about; either you put it on a separate partition, or the installer allows you to keep it around, and you should be good to go.

McHenryB

Admirable
Rawhide is cutting-edge stuff and is not installed as a normal package. Read here for installation instructions: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Rawhide

It's possible that what you have done can't be simply undone and the quickest solution might be a fresh install of Fedora 26. I wouldn't recommend the cutting-edge versions unless you are very familiar with Linux, and you should always read the documentation first.

Looks like the X server can't start - your package probably fscked up your X install (probably by overwriting either your libinput settings with incompatible ones, or by installing libinput files that are binary incompatible with your X build).
I'd recommend removing that busted package and then reinstalling your X server with a reset of the config files. Have a look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_xorg.conf) to see if there's anything funky looking, or rename it - this file is normally unneeded now, X autoconfigures itself quite reliably now. It's only kept around for very funky setups.

CONVERSION

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016

Thanks for the reply.

You're correct, X can't start. I get an error when I try to start it, I'll attach a picture of the X log below. I've removed the package (or at least I believe so, "sudo yum list installed | grep bluez" doesn't return anything) with the rpm command, set to not remove dependencies (normal bluetooth drivers). I also re-installed libinput and all xorg-x* packages with their respective yum reinstall commands.

Right after I reinstalled libinput, "Xorg" brought me to a completely black screen (with the monitor still on and detecting input) but no mouse cursor or anything. Before that, it prints some text which goes by too quick to read.

I have a Fedora 26 installation USB, is it possible to just re-install whatever's screwed up without having to get rid of all my files, programs, configuration etc?

sudo Xorg -configure log: https://imgur.com/a/A25om (Red boxes are in the actual log file, not edited)

Oh, I forgot to mention that I swapped from my Geforce GTx 1060 3GB to Intel HD 530 on my i5-6500 before doing this. I'll get back with what happened (if anything different) with the 1060.
Nothing different happened with the 1060, eexcept it only had 1 "Adding DRM device" at line 26 or so, likely because I still had the 1060 in the PC, just not outputting video. I have integrated graphics disabled when the dedicated is the primary card.

Try deleting the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file first. You could also remove all the xorg packages and purge the config files, then reinstall them from the repository. Note that it's been a while since I last touched a RPM-based system, so I can't tell you much more.
You should normally be able to reinstall anew provided you keep the /home directory about; either you put it on a separate partition, or the installer allows you to keep it around, and you should be good to go.

Solution