News Feds Say Intel Discriminated Against Older Workers in 2015 Layoffs

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Any punishment the gov't comes up with will be redundant. Intel is still trying to right the ship after targeting senior level employees for layoffs. Skylake was released in 2015. They haven't released a new desktop architecture since.

I'm going to say it flat out:
The EEOC has concluded its investigation into our 2015 action and offered to work with Intel to address its concerns."

It’s not clear how exactly the EEOC is working with Intel, why it decided not to sue the company, or why it took more than five years to find evidence of age discrimination. How much longer would it take to investigate other, larger mass layoffs?

To me it sounds like Intel is doing shady dealings to avoid being sued. Wouldn't be the first time Intel has done shady things...

Last edited:

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Any punishment the gov't comes up with will be redundant. Intel is still trying to right the ship after targeting senior level employees for layoffs. Skylake was released in 2015. They haven't released a new desktop architecture since.

A main purpose of enforcement actions is deterrence. The government is supposed to go after big-name companies in order to send a message to the boarder business world.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I have no idea if Intel actually did something wrong intentionally.
However, they probably laid off more men than women, as well.
Following that, if the layoffs were seemingly biased against age, or gender, Simpson's Paradox must be vetted as a possible explanation.
My confidence in gov't agencies has waned, so I wonder if they have heard of it.

D

Deleted member 14196

companies usually always discriminate against older employees. nothing surprising here at all. And since the gov is in bed with corporations, expect nothing to happen.