[SOLVED] Feedback for a system

Dec 2, 2019
Hello,

I have decided to build a PC and come up with the following setup, I'd like feedback on it and what and why you'd change.

PSU: Gigabyte G750H 750W Modular 80+ Gold
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9GHz 8 Core (Socket AM4)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER Windforce 8GB
RAM: HyperX FURY 8GB (4x 8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL15-6
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2-2280 NVMe PCIe
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA III 3.5" HDD
MOBO: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB All-In-One Liquid

Is it worth to get one of the X570 mobos and why ? I am also quite temped to go for RX 5700XT GPU, I have never used AMD GPU before what are your thoughts on it ?

Last edited:
Solution
Anything you'd recommend in particular, sorry to be a pain I am just quite lost when it comes to PSU.
What's your budget and location? So I can look up current prices in your local currency. But generally if you wanted to have a search, a Corsair CX/CXM is usually minimum recommended, but excellent quality ones (without going to the absolute best which cost much more) would be looking closer at:
  • Corsair TXM or RMx
  • Seasonic FOCUS and FOCUS+ and PRIME
  • SuperNOVA (G2 for example)
  • FSP Aurum
  • Super Flower Leadex Gold etc.

Thanks for pointing this out - should not be an issues I've been through the procedure before.
Well you'll need a previous generation CPU in order to do this without the BIOS flashback...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What is your main usage?
Monitor refresh rate and resolution?

Is it worth to get one of the X570 mobos and why ?
Only really if you want PCIe Gen 4 - which most people don't really get benefit from yet.

I am also quite temped to go for RX 5700XT GPU, I have never used AMD GPU before what are your thoughts on it ?
Excellent card. If you want to stream at some point or do video editing, the 2060S would be preferable for the Turin architecture capabilities.

PSU: Gigabyte G750H 750W Modular 80+ Gold
You could probably bring this down to a good quality 550W for a 2060S, maybe 650W best for a 5700XT or if you wanted even more upgrade space with a 2060S or you want to overclock for example. I'd always recommend putting as much budget as you can for the PSU. If you want a top tier system, it makes sense to get a top tier PSU with it.

MOBO: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard
This will require a BIOS update prior to shipping for it work with the 3800X as it's a B450chipset that doesn't have a BIOS button flash feature. You need BIOS F40 at least.

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2-2280 NVMe PCIe
This won't hold any noticeable benefit over a standard SATA, but usually the best value for money NVME is an Intel 660p or Crucial P1 for example. So may be worth considering.

RAM: HyperX FURY 8GB (4x 8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL15-6
If you're just gaming, 2x8GB will be plenty. Also many motherboard can have difficulty running higher speeds with all 4 DIMMs populated, it may be best to check that the RAM you are using has already been tested at higher speeds in all 4 DIMMS: https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-M-rev-10/support#support-doc

Good build though my friend :)

Dec 2, 2019
What is your main usage?
Monitor refresh rate and resolution?
Currently I am using either 1080p 144Hz monitor or 4K LG 60Hz - one for gaming and one for work.

Excellent card. If you want to stream at some point or do video editing, the 2060S would be preferable for the Turin architecture capabilities.

I do blockchain programming, so this why I was leaning more towards the RTX.

You could probably bring this down to a good quality 550W for a 2060S, maybe 650W best for a 5700XT or if you wanted even more upgrade space with a 2060S or you want to overclock for example. I'd always recommend putting as much budget as you can for the PSU. If you want a top tier system, it makes sense to get a top tier PSU with it.
Anything you'd recommend in particular, sorry to be a pain I am just quite lost when it comes to PSU.

This will require a BIOS update prior to shipping for it work with the 3800X as it's a B450chipset that doesn't have a BIOS button flash feature. You need BIOS F40 at least.
Thanks for pointing this out - should not be an issues I've been through the procedure before.
In terms of the SSD - it makes difference for me due to the nature of a work I do, think I will stick with the Samsung one since I've used it before.

f you're just gaming, 2x8GB will be plenty. Also many motherboard can have difficulty running higher speeds with all 4 DIMMs populated, it may be best to check that the RAM you are using has already been tested at higher speeds in all 4 DIMMS: https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-M-rev-10/support#support-doc
I suspected something like this, from my research there might be a way to get it working - I kind of need the 32GB since I will be spinning VMs and stuff, might need to compromise on speed though.

Thanks for the reply !

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What's your budget and location? So I can look up current prices in your local currency. But generally if you wanted to have a search, a Corsair CX/CXM is usually minimum recommended, but excellent quality ones (without going to the absolute best which cost much more) would be looking closer at:
  • Corsair TXM or RMx
  • Seasonic FOCUS and FOCUS+ and PRIME
  • SuperNOVA (G2 for example)
  • FSP Aurum
  • Super Flower Leadex Gold etc.

Well you'll need a previous generation CPU in order to do this without the BIOS flashback feature. Which is a bonus of the MSI boards, they do not need the previous gen CPU.

I kind of need the 32GB
In which case just go 2x16GB IMO - if it's a dual channel board you can potentially hinder performance going 4x8GB as you'll be running 2 modules in each channel, as opposed to 1 module in 1 channel. That and theoretically you have less stress on the memory controller (which is more relevant on older boards though).

Solution