Feedback needed on computer build

phaseone

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2005
I am still not sure what I want to get. I am gamer, yet very picky about my hardware. According to Tomshardware.com SLI is the way to go, but I still cannot decide on what proc I want. Tomshardware and MaximumPC suggest AMD so I am leaning towards AMD according to there published benchmarks. My only problem now lies in single core of dual core? The benchmarks for the single core AMD 64 3700+ (Clawhammer) are outdated on the nforce3 chipset but show a very good lead on the dual core AMD 64 X2 3800+. I could see myself benefiting from a dual core proc in the long run but frames rates are essential to me. Basically I would just like feedback on my choices and if need be someone to talk me into which way I should go. :)

endyen

Splendid
You dont need dual core. The second core will only cut into the mobo resources, and slow down your primary tasks.
At present there are problems with dual core chips, and some games.
Have you ever worked on a dual chip setup? They are nice, and smooth, but if you are not using bothe cores to thier fullest, there isn't much gain over a single core rig.
Maybe in a couple of years, the software will be there, to make dual core worthwhile. Until then, it's just bragging rights.

phaseone

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2005
If I had a budget I would say it would be around 2,500. I just don't want to spend 500-1,100 on the proc. I am open to any suggestions on the proc.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Happy to overclock? You can get a real bargain if so... Venice cores are virtually guaranteed to hit certain clockspeeds these days... :evil:

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>