Build Advice Feedback on budget CAD/CAM video editing workstation

Oct 4, 2020
Just lost my CAD/CAM laptop and need to buy a replacement ASAP. I'm a teacher and teaching remotely so will likely order parts tomorrow. I'm going with a desktop this time to save money and hopefully get a better video editing setup without spending a ton of money. I'd like to stay around $1500. Last time I built a computer from parts it was a Pentium Pro rig (with a tape drive for backup) if that gives you any idea of how rusty my knowledge is.

I teach Mastercam and Solidworks. Nothing super intensive in either of those apps. My Dell Precision 5520 with 32GB of RAM (that I just lost) handled everything just fine except for some larger Solidworks assemblies that I did for personal projects. I also shoot and edit instructional machining videos in Davinci Resolve and the laptop just barely coped and ran hot and loud making voiceovers difficult at times. If possible I would like to be able to edit 4k video with this rig and have something that runs reasonably quiet.

Here is what I've spec'd out so far, I'd appreciate feedback. The GPU is obviously chosen to save money with plans to upgrade later on if necessary. With that said, should I go with a larger PSU to increase my GPU options? Are there other inexpensive GPU's that I should consider? This will never be a gaming rig.

Thanks for your time

CPU (and cooler)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core, 24-thread unlocked desktop processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler

Motherboard
ASRock B550 Steel Legend Supports 3rd Gen AMD AM4 Ryzen/Future AMD Ryzen Processors Motherboard

GPU
Nvidia Quadro M4000 8GB GDDR5 256-bit PCI Express 3.0 x16 Full Height Video Card (Renewed)

PSU
Fractal Design Ion+ Platinum 660W PSU - 80 PLUS Platinum - ATX - High performance Power Supply - Fully Modular - Zero RPM - Silent 140 mm fan FDB Bearings - UltraFlex Cables - 10 year warranty - Black

Case
Fractal Design Define R5 - Mid Tower Computer Case - ATX - Optimized for High Airflow and Silent - 2X Dynamix GP-14 140mm Silent Fans Included - Water-cooling Ready - Black

Memory
2 x Viper Steel Series DDR4 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz Kit (possibly 2x32gb instead)

Storage

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I would change the case to the Define R7 Compact, for a minimal layout, pick up a dual channel DDR4-3600MHz ram kit. If possible add another kit for 64GB. Samsung 970 Evo Plus as opposed to the Evo(vanilla). You can deal with a SATA based, cheaper M.2 SSD that can act as a cache drive.

Outside of that, you're good to go. Add a 240mm/280mm/360mm AIO into the build. Since it's a Fractal-Design affair, go with the Celsius S series of AIO's.

Oct 4, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I would change the case to the Define R7 Compact, for a minimal layout, pick up a dual channel DDR4-3600MHz ram kit. If possible add another kit for 64GB. Samsung 970 Evo Plus as opposed to the Evo(vanilla). You can deal with a SATA based, cheaper M.2 SSD that can act as a cache drive.

Outside of that, you're good to go. Add a 240mm/280mm/360mm AIO into the build. Since it's a Fractal-Design affair, go with the Celsius S series of AIO's.

Thanks for the feedback, I switched out the Samsung EVO, curious about the case. One of the reasons I chose that case is the availability. I can get it by Wednesday, whereas the Compact wouldn't arrive till next week. I know, crappy reasoning, but I'm seriously hobbled without a computer right now. Are you suggesting the R7 Compact just because I don't need that much size for what I'm putting in it? Any other disadvantages?

As to the Celsius S AIO, I am assuming that would replace the Wraith Prism that comes with the CPU. Correct? I was going to go with the stock and check clearance with other cards before maybe upgrading. I'm assuming the Wraith would get me started and I could upgrade later?

On edit: bought the smaller case and faster ram. Going to wait on the CPU cooler and see if the stock one works.

Ended up getting this graphics card:
PNY VCQK5200-PB NVIDIA Quadro K5200 8GB Video Card

Everything but the case is arriving this week. Thinking I can do a pre-assembly, configure the bios and install the OS. Case arrives next week and I will do the final assembly.

Thanks again

Last edited: