Feedback on build.

Clint_b

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
Hi, I'm currently looking at building a new computer. Wanted to get some feedback on it in case there is something better for similar price points.

Prices below are Australian.
CPU
i7-6700k 4k $469
Motherboard
Asus Z170 ROG MAXIMUS VIII RANGER $289

RAM
G.skill Ripjaws V 4x8g 3400 $318

SSD
Samsung 950 Pro m.2 $385

CASE
In WIN 303 $109

Plus I already have a Radeon r9 380 4gb and an Antec 750w power supply.

Not sure what sort of cooling I sound go for on the CPU. I wanna over clock to maybe 4.5

Solution

Yeah it's easy to enable but tricky to get the advertised speeds. Some boards are obviously better than others. But on default with no XMP enabled it will always default to DDR4-2133.
Ripjaws V are hard to fit under an air cooler
so if you want to go for air cooling, I'd suggest you get some Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM which is significantly lower and fits under most coolers

also that case allows for 160mm coolers kinda singling out several of the latest most powerful coolers
but a Noctua NH-U12S would work and should be sufficient

Clint_b

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
Thanks for the response and sorry for the delay.it was late when u posted this.
I will be using the computer 75% for gaming and 25% for programming. Want to teach myself asp.net.
I will checkout those coolers you have mentioned and won't rule out a box change but space is a premium in my one room apartment.

I intend to buy the parts this weekend and let the build begin!

g-unit1111

Titan

I didn't have any problem with my Trident Z. It won't look like it shows on the box but that doesn't really matter in the long run.

Although keep in mind with RAM that DDR4 on Z170, it defaults automatically to 2133MHz and when you go to enable XMP that you can't just enable with a simple profile. It takes a lot more effort to overclock RAM to the specified speeds on Z170.

Clint_b

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016

I just couldn't help myself and had to google now. It looks like it's pretty easy to enable. Just gotta go into bios. Are there any other gotchyas that I should know about?

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah it's easy to enable but tricky to get the advertised speeds. Some boards are obviously better than others. But on default with no XMP enabled it will always default to DDR4-2133.

Solution
I got a 210€ board with the Ripjaws V-3000
The board lists the Ripjaws V-3000 as supported

Just enabling the XMP does work, it runs at the speed it should
However after several hours of usage I'd get a blue screen and when rebooting BIOS turns it back to default speed (2133 MHz)
So just enabling XMP doesn't really work for me and it's not like I got the cheapest board there is
You gotta tweak manually, try and error in most cases. It's not too hard or too bad, but still.

@gunit: what cooler do you have? Because I know a lot of air coolers that surely can't fit Ripjaws in slot 1 and some that got problems with slot 2 as well

g-unit1111

Titan

I have a Cryroig R1. The cooler won't sit directly atop the RAM and won't align with the cooler itself but as long as your air flows through the case that won't be a problem.

g-unit1111

Titan

I paid $89 for mine. Even my D14 on my other rig has no problems with clearance, and on my work PC I have an H5 and I didn't have any problems fitting that over my existing RAM which has large heat sinks.

it depends on the socket
on my old AM2 board I never had any problems either
but with LGA1150 the RAM is just located very closely to the CPU
I reused my Scyte Mugen 4, which didn't give me any trouble with my old AM2 board, but on my new Z170 board it does block the first RAM slot when using Ripjaws V and I could barely fit the stick in the second slot. worked, but not as elegantly as I'd have liked it to

g-unit1111

Titan

Really all it is is just an inconvenience. I have to do that as well with my R1 and RAM but now that I have the RAM I want and my cooler situated everything runs fine. I have a picture of what it looks like in the build link in my signature.