[SOLVED] Feedback on new Gaming PC Build

CPY1234

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
I am looking into building a new gaming pc and am looking for some feedback from the community. I am trying to build an amazing system and have been messing around with parts and i think i found what i like. No sure about the case so if you have any cool cases please let me know. Here is what i came up with. I am also interested in liquid cooling but not exactly sure if i want it or not. Any feedback is appreciated :D

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($471.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.87 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste ($6.05 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($281.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card ($1279.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case ($128.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Corsair LL120 RGB White with Lighting Node PRO 63 CFM 120 mm Fans ($110.87 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($609.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($609.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $4284.46

Solution
Well that is one hell of a build and about as good as it gets for high refresh rate gaming...You could save a bit here and there with a cheaper NVMe but in reality if you have the budget then you have chosen well.

The only area's I would change and that is just me is the Motherboard to a Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra or Master as they have the stand out VRMs in 12 phases with good cooling to go with it so overclocks should be very good. Also the Thermal Paste as I would go the Thermal Grizzly or Gelid GC Extreme which have proven to be right at the top for cooling.

Oh and I forgot to add, go NZXT Kraken X72 360mm or Corsair H150i Pro 360mm AIO (to go with the Corsair LL Fans) instead of 280 as it will just look way better in the Lian Li...
Well that is one hell of a build and about as good as it gets for high refresh rate gaming...You could save a bit here and there with a cheaper NVMe but in reality if you have the budget then you have chosen well.

The only area's I would change and that is just me is the Motherboard to a Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra or Master as they have the stand out VRMs in 12 phases with good cooling to go with it so overclocks should be very good. Also the Thermal Paste as I would go the Thermal Grizzly or Gelid GC Extreme which have proven to be right at the top for cooling.

Oh and I forgot to add, go NZXT Kraken X72 360mm or Corsair H150i Pro 360mm AIO (to go with the Corsair LL Fans) instead of 280 as it will just look way better in the Lian Li case and provide great cooling....

Solution

CPY1234

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014

Oh and I forgot to add, go NZXT Kraken X72 360mm or Corsair H150i Pro 360mm AIO (to go with the Corsair LL Fans) instead of 280 as it will just look way better in the Lian Li case and provide great cooling....

Thanks for the reply. I am open to changing the mother board but from what i have read the Maximus XI Hero is the best to run with the i9-9900k but not sure if thats true or not. Im not too picky with some more money here and there. I will look into that thermal paste. Thanks again :D

Thanks for the reply. I am open to changing the mother board but from what i have read the Maximus XI Hero is the best to run with the i9-9900k but not sure if thats true or not. Im not too picky with some more money here and there. I will look into that thermal paste. Thanks again :D

No problems at all. The Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master has been reviewed very, very well but at the same time the ASUS Hero is still a more than capable motherboard though they have cheeped out a little on the VRM's with not a true 8 phase...so just go with what looks best to you and do check out a few reviews..

CPY1234

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
No problems at all. The Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master has been reviewed very, very well but at the same time the ASUS Hero is still a more than capable motherboard though they have cheeped out a little on the VRM's with not a true 8 phase...so just go with what looks best to you and do check out a few reviews..

Okay I will look into the Gigabyte Z390. It looks like a really nice motherboard from the quick google. Im looking to get some good RGB lights going so if you have any cool suggestions for that i would love to hear them. :D

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Okay I will look into the Gigabyte Z390. It looks like a really nice motherboard from the quick google. Im looking to get some good RGB lights going so if you have any cool suggestions for that i would love to hear them. :D

Hey. You could consider the 9700k as it has nearly identical performance for gaming and streaming and is cheaper. For the cooler you could go H150i Pro or Kraken x72 as they have x3 fans so would look better in your case and for motherboard the Aorus master is a great board. Asus haven't done the best with their VRM's on Z390 but if you prefer the looks then the Asus XI Code could also be worth looking at. If you need anything else just let me know 😊

RGB and ARGB is becoming a bit complicated as most have there own proprietary versions like Corsair and NZXT. The good thing is that the Gigabyte Master motherboard has both standard RGB connectors and ARGB for digital control of individual LEDs and I believe two connectors of each on the motherboard.

I personally would stick to just one type and that would be ARGB also known as Digital RGB as it gives much better effects (yes I have gone overboard on mine!!!! see small pic). Both NZXT and Corsair have controller packs that include LED strips...Phanteks, Cooler Master and Thermaltake also have there own setups so do a bit of research.

Here is the list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO 55.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($129.31 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($379.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card ($1279.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe TG ATX Full Tower Case ($170.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Samsung C49RG9 49.0" 5120x1440 120 Hz Monitor ($1199.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $4299.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-03 08:29 EST-0500

Ryzen build as at that resolution there is no performance gain in single core performance and even if there is then it is with multiple cores. If possible I recommend waiting a bit and going with 16C/32T variant when launched instead of 12C.24T one as price difference is small.

That monitor equals to 2 x 27" monitor and has same resolution and dimensions. So without having two different monitors this one single monitor will be good.

I did go bit high on few components as I expect you to reuse them instead of replacing them for your next upgrade even after 5Yrs. Like Case and PSU will save you big chunk of budget the next time you upgrade. That 1000W PSU is no overkill as at 60-70% load it will give you optimum performance being most efficient and not being stressed. So don't settle for 750-850W. That case is really good and of very high quality.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Here is the list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO 55.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($129.31 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($379.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe TG ATX Full Tower Case ($170.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Samsung C49RG9 49.0" 5120x1440 120 Hz Monitor ($1199.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $4299.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-03 08:29 EST-0500

Ryzen build as at that resolution there is no performance gain in single core performance and even if there is then it is with multiple cores. If possible I recommend waiting a bit and going with 16C/32T variant when launched instead of 12C.24T one as price difference is small.

That monitor equals to 2 x 27" monitor and has same resolution and dimensions. So without having two different monitors this one single monitor will be good.

I did go bit high on few components as I expect you to reuse them instead of replacing them for your next upgrade even after 5Yrs. Like Case and PSU will save you big chunk of budget the next time you upgrade. That 1000W PSU is no overkill as at 60-70% load it will give you optimum performance being most efficient and not being stressed. So don't settle for 750-850W. That case is really good and of very high quality.

Im sorry but what. Why not a 360mm AIO? Sure it might be similar performance but if you have a 360mm, it could look better and could run the fans slower, resulting in less noice. Also if this is a gaming rig, why 3900x? 1000w Power supply is pretty good as it wont need an upgrade for a while and will have heaps of flexibility for upgrades (Watercooling, SLI etc). I know 9900k isnt that much more ahead but in terms of raw gaming, it is still on top. Also I would chuck a 2TB HDD on as well just incase the 1TB isn't enough. My mums partner has 14.7 TB of steam games...

CPY1234

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
Hey. You could consider the 9700k as it has nearly identical performance for gaming and streaming and is cheaper. For the cooler you could go H150i Pro or Kraken x72 as they have x3 fans so would look better in your case and for motherboard the Aorus master is a great board. Asus haven't done the best with their VRM's on Z390 but if you prefer the looks then the Asus XI Code could also be worth looking at. If you need anything else just let me know 😊

Hey thanks for the reply. Im not too picky with spending some extra money on some parts for a bit better performance. I will look into the Kraken x72. I will look into that motherboard as well. Going to do a lot of research lol. thanks :D

Reactions: Fate05

CPY1234

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
RGB and ARGB is becoming a bit complicated as most have there own proprietary versions like Corsair and NZXT. The good thing is that the Gigabyte Master motherboard has both standard RGB connectors and ARGB for digital control of individual LEDs and I believe two connectors of each on the motherboard.

I personally would stick to just one type and that would be ARGB also known as Digital RGB as it gives much better effects (yes I have gone overboard on mine!!!! see small pic). Both NZXT and Corsair have controller packs that include LED strips...Phanteks, Cooler Master and Thermaltake also have there own setups so do a bit of research.

Yes i asked because i saw your pic but that is what im going for haha. The colors look really nice from your pic. I will look into that since o want some nice colors. Im not exactly sure what the difference is between ARGB and RGB so i will need to look into that some more. Thanks :D

Yes i asked because i saw your pic but that is what im going for haha. The colors look really nice from your pic. I will look into that since o want some nice colors. Im not exactly sure what the difference is between ARGB and RGB so i will need to look into that some more. Thanks :D

No problems at all and here is a proper picture on my overboard RGB PC...yes I got infected pretty badly but hey ho...!!!

View: https://imgur.com/X0SPVw0