• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Feedback on PC parts to upgrade from prebuild PC

Jun 17, 2020
Hi all

I got a Medion Erazer E56002 that I got 4 years ago. I know I should have build my own PC but mistakes were made. Now I want to upgrade. My friend gifted me a Shinobi glassless case in black (including 1 fan and be quite! powersupply). My current motherboard has 1 broken audio pin (I think its called - im bad at this PC stuff) so no headphones work. This happened one time due to a silly mistake of me where I wanted to read the specifications of the power supply and it fell ruining the one pin. Its also missing 2 screws.
Anyway I wanted to upgrade one day so It dosent matter too much.
I plan to use my current i7 6700 CPU on my new build (it still works and saving money!). I also am going to reuse my NVDIA 1650 until I upgrade it in the future.
I found this motherboard I want to buy:
ASUS ROG Strix B250H Gaming
Im going to replace the heatsink I currently use as my new case dosent have a side panel for the fan to blow out off. Hence I wanted to ask for a CPU heatsink that i designed to expel heat from the back of the case (like this https://www.amazon.nl/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-Processorkoeler/dp/B0068OI7T8/ref=asc_df_B0068OI7T8/?tag=nlshogostdde-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=430677222188&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9722945147102961000&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9050815&hvtargid=pla-564023923584&psc=1)
I will reuse my current SSD as I read that its possible and windows usually can 'fix' itself when a new motherboard is used so I dont need to delete everything and reinstall it

Also I wanted to get 4 fans and want to ask if it matters which fans, can they all connect to the motherboard or only some?
Thanks - sorry this is messy
if wrong section please move it and dont delete!

EDIT: as it uses DDR4 ram with DIMM, can I buy any DDR4 ram with DIMM ?

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS