[SOLVED] Feedback on Ryzen 5600x build

cpmackenzi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
Hello, I'm finally upgrading my PC from my i5-4690 machine. The only part I'll be recycling is my current GPU, a GTX 1080 Duke. Don't have the money to drop on a new card, and I only have a 1440p 60Hz monitor anyway.

Here is the link to my core machine: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mXRTJf. I have a Ryzen 3700x as the CPU for now, due to comparable price and performance.

My biggest questions:

-- Is B-die RAM as important for Ryzen 5600x? I'm reading sites that claim DDR4-4000 is the sweet spot for the new CPUs. I don't see B-die listings for that series of RAM at the B-die finder (https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder).

-- My current RAM choice is a DDR4-3600 (G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB CL16) but is B-die. Should I simply go with DDR4-4000 RAM, or is the current choice acceptable? Looks like Newegg's going to have a deal on Patriot Viper DDR4-4000 RAM on November 4.

-- I'm considering picking up just a 500GB Samsung 970 EVO due to the current lowest price it's ever been. Can use it for OS and my top few games. Currently have just a 960 EVO for my OS and a HDD in my old PC for same concept. Will still be a big improvement from my old PC.

-- Saving a few bucks by going for a Crucial MX500 1TB over the Samsung 960 EVO 1TB worth it?

-- Thinking of a different case, the Antec Dark Fleet DF600 Flux, simply because it has 5 included fans. Any big benefit over the Corsair 275R? I don't care about RGB at all.

-- Any other big/obvious issues with my core parts, let me know. Hoping a few things more go on sale this month, like the SSDs.

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for the info. I admit that RAM is my weak spot in terms of knowledge. I can certainly wait on the RAM for a bit. I figure I'll try to get the Ryzen 5600x right away before resale increases the price. Then hope for the occasional small sales on the rest of the components.

Would you be willing to recommend a solid 3200 RAM and 3600 RAM with low latency?

My old machine is likely going to my younger brother, aside from the GPU. So I don't want to cannibalize it aside from that. Plus, the prices on the EVO are great right now that I don't mind buying a new one.

Here is the video I was talking about...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH3qq_mSxTM

Note they compare a few kits but...
Hello, I'm finally upgrading my PC from my i5-4690 machine. The only part I'll be recycling is my current GPU, a GTX 1080 Duke. Don't have the money to drop on a new card, and I only have a 1440p 60Hz monitor anyway.

Here is the link to my core machine: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mXRTJf. I have a Ryzen 3700x as the CPU for now, due to comparable price and performance.

My biggest questions:

-- Is B-die RAM as important for Ryzen 5600x? I'm reading sites that claim DDR4-4000 is the sweet spot for the new CPUs. I don't see B-die listings for that series of RAM at the B-die finder (https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder).

-- My current RAM choice is a DDR4-3600 (G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB CL16) but is B-die. Should I simply go with DDR4-4000 RAM, or is the current choice acceptable?

-- I'm considering picking up just a 500GB Samsung 970 EVO due to the current lowest price it's ever been. Can use it for OS and my top few games. Currently have just a 960 EVO for my OS and a HDD in my old PC for same concept. Will still be a big improvement from my old PC.

-- Saving a few bucks by going for a Crucial MX500 1TB over the Samsung 960 EVO 1TB worth it?

-- Thinking of a different case, the Antec Dark Fleet DF600 Flux, simply because it has 5 included fans. Any big benefit over the Corsair 275R? I don't care about RGB at all.

-- Any other big/obvious issues with my core parts, let me know. Hoping a few things more go on sale this month, like the SSDs.

When it comes to ram the tech channels I follow confirmed with AMD that the IO controller on Ryzen 5000 is the same as the current gen Ryzen 3000 cpu's - on that basis I'm not sure where the notion that 4000 ram is the 'sweet spot' - if the IO controller is the same that'd lead me to believe ram support should also be the same. I know that with Ryzen 3000 the memory support is much broader than earlier generations of Ryzen and as such I don't think B-die memory is critical, my suggestion would be check out the Memory QVL for that motherboard with Ryzen 3000 to get an idea what memory will work well. That said to be absolutely certain you might want to hold off ordering memory until there are some reviews out for the Ryzen 5000 series parts.

What I have also seen on the memory side is that whilst even with Ryzen 3000 you can technically hit higher than 3600 (3733 is the max for 1:1 with the infinity fabric), there aren't really any gains to be had above that in most scenarios. In fact Hardware Unboxed did some excellent memory testing comparing kit speed vs memory timings and found that you can hit the same max frame rates with low latency 3200 mhz ran as with much faster kits (as to hit the higher speeds the timings have to be loosened which negates much of the benefit). For the very best performance you probably want to wait until the Ryzen Dram timings calculator has been updated for Ryzen 5000 series to get your timings dialed in.

With regards to drive, can you not reuse your 960 Evo in the new build as a second drive? I'm not sure I would bother with an MX500 - I believe that drive has been around for a long time?

As for cases, honestly so long as it has decent airflow and physical room for what you want to mount into it shouldn't be a problem (make sure you have plenty of room for the graphics card to give you options for upgrades in future as these next gen cards are massive).

Reactions: cpmackenzi
What I have also seen on the memory side is that whilst even with Ryzen 3000 you can technically hit higher than 3600 (3733 is the max for 1:1 with the infinity fabric), there aren't really any gains to be had above that in most scenarios. In fact Hardware Unboxed did some excellent memory testing comparing kit speed vs memory timings and found that you can hit the same max frame rates with low latency 3200 mhz ran as with much faster kits (as to hit the higher speeds the timings have to be loosened which negates much of the benefit). For the very best performance you probably want to wait until the Ryzen Dram timings calculator has been updated for Ryzen 5000 series to get your timings dialed in.

What I remember seeing back when Ryzen 3xxx was new: 3733 CAS 17 was fastest at a 15 CPU cycle response, and 3600 CAS 16 and 3200 CAS 14 just behind it at 17 cycles, then 3800 at 19 or 20 cycles.

cpmackenzi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
When it comes to ram the tech channels I follow confirmed with AMD that the IO controller on Ryzen 5000 is the same as the current gen Ryzen 3000 cpu's - on that basis I'm not sure where the notion that 4000 ram is the 'sweet spot' - if the IO controller is the same that'd lead me to believe ram support should also be the same. I know that with Ryzen 3000 the memory support is much broader than earlier generations of Ryzen and as such I don't think B-die memory is critical, my suggestion would be check out the Memory QVL for that motherboard with Ryzen 3000 to get an idea what memory will work well. That said to be absolutely certain you might want to hold off ordering memory until there are some reviews out for the Ryzen 5000 series parts.

With regards to drive, can you not reuse your 960 Evo in the new build as a second drive? I'm not sure I would bother with an MX500 - I believe that drive has been around for a long time?

As for cases, honestly so long as it has decent airflow and physical room for what you want to mount into it shouldn't be a problem (make sure you have plenty of room for the graphics card to give you options for upgrades in future as these next gen cards are massive).

Thanks for the info. I admit that RAM is my weak spot in terms of knowledge. I can certainly wait on the RAM for a bit. I figure I'll try to get the Ryzen 5600x right away before resale increases the price. Then hope for the occasional small sales on the rest of the components.

Would you be willing to recommend a solid 3200 RAM and 3600 RAM with low latency?

My old machine is likely going to my younger brother, aside from the GPU. So I don't want to cannibalize it aside from that. Plus, the prices on the EVO are great right now that I don't mind buying a new one.

Reactions: cdrkf

Here is the video I was talking about...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH3qq_mSxTM

Note they compare a few kits but have only tuned the DDR4 3000 and 3800 kits - with tuning the 3000 kit surpasses quite a few of the faster ones (although the 3800 kit, tuned is the fastest).

Keep in mind though this only applies in very CPU limited situations, if you crank up the graphics to ultra / run at higher resolutions the difference the memory kit makes will be negligible, and even the 'worst case' performance they are showing here isn't exactly slow.

Solution

cpmackenzi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
Thanks for the replies. I have never done tuning or overclocking before, given my current PC is old with a locked CPU. I know it's much easier, but I'm not likely to push for major adjustments. Whatever is the safest/simplest tuning is probably as far as I'll take it.

I'm likely running 1440p 60Hz for the foreseeable future, and my current PC even handles that most of the time (though not fully cranked up on newer games). But if you say the extreme tuning doesn't make a major gaming difference anyway, at least that's something I can address over time.

cpmackenzi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
ye, 3600-16 is on of the 3 'sweet spot' RAM speeds for the 3xxx, and should be fine for 5xxx. if you haven't purchased the RAM yet, you can probly get Patriot Viper 3733-17 for $5-10 more than the 3600

I'm seeing two versions, one gun metal gray and one with red/black. Model numbers almost the same except for one extra letter: PVS416G373C7K and PV416G373C7K. Any difference between the two? The red/black version is much more expensive on Amazon.

I'm seeing two versions, one gun metal gray and one with red/black. Model numbers almost the same except for one extra letter: PVS416G373C7K and PV416G373C7K. Any difference between the two? The red/black version is much more expensive on Amazon.
Only differences are cosmetic. you want the gunmetal grey set unless you have a pressing need for bling :rolleyes:

cpmackenzi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
The Aorus is a very good mobo

here is a list of all 550 and 570 boards that accept 3733 RAM (the specific ram in the list doesn't matter its good for any 3733)
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/?compatible_with=2phj4D#sort=price&c=145,138

If the RAM is 3733 but the TUF officially is rated for 3600, is this where overclocking comes in? Could I run it at 3733, or would I be required to run it at the next acceptable slot on the TUF, 3866Mhz?

I guess I could add that because I won't be doing significant overclocking, I wouldn't mind going to a 550 board if it's a bit cheaper. Don't need to have wi-fi. Got a Ryzen 5600x this morning!