[SOLVED] Feedback on this system

Oct 12, 2020
I'm going to be building my first PC and wanted some feedback on whether the components I have picked out are good or not. I want it to play at a consistent 144FPS @ 1080p in games like Rainbow 6: Siege, Valorant and CoD. I have an SSD already, so I didn't put it into the parts list. My budget is around $750.

Parts List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jW8mGq

Solution
I'm planning to build it around December. I actually know about Ryzen 5000 launching soon and was hoping it'd knock down the prices of last gen cards by a bit and pair that with the holiday sales.

I appreciate the updated parts list, could you let me know why you made the substitutions you did? Like I said it's my first PC so I'm trying to get a handle on determining good parts from bad.
Ryzen 5000 isn't "cards", it's CPUs. The graphics cards AMD will be launching are big Navi, and are probably not going to be all that. So, yes, it's "possible" that the release will result in a drop in prices on current Ryzen 3000 series but considering how much they've dropped already and the fact that Ryzen 2000 series really didn't see a...

logainofhades

Titan
PSU is terrible quality. Ryzen 5000 coming Nov. 5th.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($94.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB GAMING Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($43.54 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec NeoECO Classic 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $751.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-12 17:14 EDT-0400

Last edited:
Reactions: Genr8
Oct 12, 2020
I'm planning to build it around December. I actually know about Ryzen 5000 launching soon and was hoping it'd knock down the prices of last gen cards by a bit and pair that with the holiday sales.

I appreciate the updated parts list, could you let me know why you made the substitutions you did? Like I said it's my first PC so I'm trying to get a handle on determining good parts from bad.

Ryzen 5000 isn't "cards", it's CPUs. The graphics cards AMD will be launching are big Navi, and are probably not going to be all that. So, yes, it's "possible" that the release will result in a drop in prices on current Ryzen 3000 series but considering how much they've dropped already and the fact that Ryzen 2000 series really didn't see a huge drop in price when the 3000 series released, I wouldn't bet on it. Especially since the price of the Ryzen 5000 parts is already going to be somewhat higher than existing parts.

My point was really going to be about getting better than Intel performance for less than Intel prices, but if budget is the primary motivating factor, then something like what Logain posted, or something like this, would be where you want to be. Since you are shooting for a 144fps machine, I think you are probably a bit more likely to reach that with an Intel CPU, for now, than with the Ryzen 3600. Once the 5000 series parts release, that may go the other way. 144fps machines are generally not thought to be "budget" builds, so you might want to rethink how much you are actually willing to throw at this if that truly is what you are targeting.

And don't let the 2.9Ghz base clock on the 10400 fool you. This CPU will generally "live" at about 4Ghz while gaming, with slightly better ICP and single core performance than the Ryzen parts. Games that are highly optimized for multithreading MAY do a little better on the 3600, but since they both have the same number of cores and threads, it would likely come down to whether any given game's code favors AMD or Intel in general.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B460 Pro4 ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($56.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 580 8 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card ($183.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($48.04 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $698.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-12 23:31 EDT-0400

Solution
Show me a more capable system for 700 dollars or less? Go for it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a 2017 CX power supply for a budget build, and the RX 580 is capable of just about anything you want do at 1080p considering you're going to have to use less than ultra settings anyhow because there are no cards that are going to fit the budget that can do ultra 1080p at 144fps anyhow.

Last edited:

poorbugger

Distinguished
PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Wp2NGq

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($90.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 5500 XT 8 GB Phantom Gaming D OC Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cougar MX330-X ATX Mid Tower Case ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $702.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-13 00:34 EDT-0400
Here's my list

The 5500 XT is not capable of 144fps gaming unless you're willing to drop down to low or some combination of low and medium settings, depending on the game. I don't think this is desirable. Pretty sure the OP would like to see AT LEAST medium settings, and 144fps or something approaching it, and that card is not even remotely capable of it.

VZVsTYRXsajfAC2fNeBu7j-970-80.png.webp

poorbugger

Distinguished
The 5500 XT is not capable of 144fps gaming unless you're willing to drop down to low or some combination of low and medium settings, depending on the game. I don't think this is desirable. Pretty sure the OP would like to see AT LEAST medium settings, and 144fps or something approaching it, and that card is not even remotely capable of it.

VZVsTYRXsajfAC2fNeBu7j-970-80.png.webp
But it's still better than the rx 580 that you recommended tho in that list. I didnt see op's price tag was 750usd. I thought it was 700usd. If that's the case then the list of logainofhades is better.

You know, I did misread that as 700 bucks, but the extra fifty bucks doesn't make a huge difference really. And "better" is a matter of perceptions. There are a lot of limitations associated with settling for a micro ATX board compared to an ATX model, and so on. But it is a good option. Raising the budget to 800 bucks, which would allow for an additional 100 dollars to be invested into the GX card from what I was looking at, would substantially change the scope of the build.

Also, Logainofhades build was over budget by $1.48, so heck with that guy. 🤪

poorbugger

Distinguished
You know, I did misread that as 700 bucks, but the extra fifty bucks doesn't make a huge difference really. And "better" is a matter of perceptions. There are a lot of limitations associated with settling for a micro ATX board compared to an ATX model, and so on. But it is a good option. Raising the budget to 800 bucks, which would allow for an additional 100 dollars to be invested into the GX card from what I was looking at, would substantially change the scope of the build.

Also, Logainofhades build was over budget by $1.48, so heck with that guy. 🤪
Lmao but i agree, 750 usd isnt really a price range for 144hz settings especially at high and above.

Oct 12, 2020
Yeah my mistake there. I was typing it in a hurry and fumbled words. I meant CPU for Ryzen and not cards I promise lol.

As for the other stuff. Budget isn't the motivating factor as much as it's a constraint, I only have the $750 to spend unfortunately as I'm still a student and don't have a lot of excess income.

My thought process was basically. "The new releases might mean a drop in the older parts, and if they don't then no big deal." Especially as I'm not in a huge rush to finish the system. And yeah my ultimate goal is 1080p 144hz at medium. Especially because the PC wouldn't be seeing any upgrades for a year at the minimum.

I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but did you mean that aiming for 144FPS for $750 isn't reasonable? Most of the titles I spend time on are esports ones(R6 Siege, Valorant etc) and basically never play much single-player.

So if they are all lightweight eSports titles, you can probably get away with a substantially less capable system, and maybe you may have to do that if 750 dollars is the max budget because by the time you factor in taxes, and PCPP is never accurate about including taxes, it's going to add a bit more to the cost.

Also, @poorbugger , I have yet to see a Ryzen system work without any issues using Vengeance LPX sticks over 2666mhz, and even the lower speed kits are not well tolerated by Ryzen platforms. I don't know what, exactly, it is that the platform doesn't like about those kits specifically, but it doesn't. I'm sure there's some folks out there that haven't had issues with an LPX kit on a Ryzen system, but it seems like just about every person who comes here with a problem on a Ryzen system that has used LPX sticks resolves it by replacing them with something that's been validated as compatible and there are very few validated LPX kits for any of the Ryzen motherboards. It's just an extra, unnecessary complication, unless the kit is specifically validated on the Corsair memory finder for that motherboard model or the motherboard's QVL list.

logainofhades

Titan

B550 you get more ram slots, and PCI-E 4.0, for future upgrades of GPU and the top M.2 SSD slot. The 1660s is a faster GPU. The PSU isn't super great, but far better than a thermaltake smart.

Oct 12, 2020
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm still a bit confused so bear with me, should I go with the i3 system or the Ryzen 5 one? It seemed like there wasn't agreement on which one would fit my needs best.

MasterBlaster22

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Show me a more capable system for 700 dollars or less? Go for it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a 2017 CX power supply for a budget build, and the RX 580 is capable of just about anything you want do at 1080p considering you're going to have to use less than ultra settings anyhow because there are no cards that are going to fit the budget that can do ultra 1080p at 144fps anyhow.

Antec NeoECO Classic 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply -- THAT was the PSU that I was referring to

dimtodim

Reputable
I'm going to be building my first PC and wanted some feedback on whether the components I have picked out are good or not. I want it to play at a consistent 144FPS @ 1080p in games like Rainbow 6: Siege, Valorant and CoD. I have an SSD already, so I didn't put it into the parts list. My budget is around $750.

Parts List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jW8mGq

I would suggest you buy a better power supply and cooler for the processor, with the selected gpu you can only get 60hz at 1080p

I would suggest you buy a better power supply and cooler for the processor, with the selected gpu you can only get 60hz at 1080p

GX card model CAN have an impact on the maximum FPS possible at any given setting, but at 1080p even a lowly GX card model can be capable of MUCH higher than 60FPS if you have the right CPU, because the CPU is FAR more important for maximum FPS than the graphics card is so long as you have a GX card that is at least capable enough for the settings you want to use at that resolution.

Saying a given graphics card can only get you 60hz at 1080p makes no sense on multiple levels. ALL of these graphics cards can do whatever Hz the standard allows for that resolution. For 1080p, HDMI, DVI dual link and DP all allow for much more than 60hz and the GX card itself isn't going to limit anything to 60fps, depending on the settings. I don't think you actually understand how any of this works.

TRENDING THREADS