[SOLVED] Feeling like I have packet loss when playing games but having regular ping and 0 packet loss

Mar 10, 2021
So I've been having this problem for a while now thinking it was my pc and after upgrading every single part now im 100% sure it's my internet but I don't know what could be causing it when I play games specially fortnite (I get around 20 ping but it feels like 60-70) it feels like I'm having packet loss or a lot of ping spikes but it doesn't show that which is super weird but I can feel it when building shooting or editing I hit blanks and people shoot me thru walls is just like having packet loss timing also goes out the window, I've talked about this to my ISP multiple times but they say everything is fine they did some "rerouting" a couple months back and it felt so good for a couple days then it came back to feeling slow and delayed is not my pc Im 100%
Things I've tried:
  1. Buy a new lan cable ( cat7 ) also tried cat 6 same problem
  2. Reseting router
  3. Changing router (they sent a replacement router)
also pinged google DNS and it shows 0 packet loss I don't know what could be causing this...
(ROUTER MODEL: BGW210-700)

CPU: i7 8700k @ 4.6ghz
GPU: 2080msi
RAM: 16gb 4100hz
MOTHERBOARD: asrock phantom z390
POWER SUPPLY: corsair 850
COOLING: nzxt x73 (temps are fine they dont go above 70c when playing) )

Last edited:
Solution
Why would you blame the network based on your "feeling". Your much more scientific tests say it is not the network when you get no packet loss or ping spike. The actual value of the latency being say 20 or 70 does not matter a lot as long as it is consistently that. Games are designed to not give someone with a lower ping a advantage....they can only fix so much you get say 200ms of ping and they can't fix that. This though means a game is greatly affected if the ping value jumps around...ie a ping spike...and messes up its predictions of future locations.

Ping the DNS is good test. I would leave this run in background window so you can quickly switch over when you see issue in the game. The problem could be very...
Why would you blame the network based on your "feeling". Your much more scientific tests say it is not the network when you get no packet loss or ping spike. The actual value of the latency being say 20 or 70 does not matter a lot as long as it is consistently that. Games are designed to not give someone with a lower ping a advantage....they can only fix so much you get say 200ms of ping and they can't fix that. This though means a game is greatly affected if the ping value jumps around...ie a ping spike...and messes up its predictions of future locations.

Ping the DNS is good test. I would leave this run in background window so you can quickly switch over when you see issue in the game. The problem could be very intermittent.

Now you could also try to ping the game server but if the DNS is fine and the game server is not that means the problem is likely outside your ISP network and you will never get it fixed.

A very common problem that looks like a network problem is if a game has issue in a video routine. Some games will actually tell you that the ping time has a spike when what really happened is that the program got very busy doing critical video processing and didn't bother to check if the network data was sitting in the buffer. When it finally got around to looking it added all the extra time to network delay rather than reporting it as video delay.

This is purely a guess though since it is very common could be many thing from disk issue or memory.

So really do careful testing to rule out network issues but then I would see what changing video drivers or settings does. It would be nice if games had a nice diagnostic panel but I am sure the hackers would use it. Many of the speed hacks you see are related to abusing the network prediction and artificially introducing and removing latency.

Solution
Mar 10, 2021

Ping the DNS is good test. I would leave this run in background window so you can quickly switch over when you see issue in the game. The problem could be very intermittent.

Now you could also try to ping the game server but if the DNS is fine and the game server is not that means the problem is likely outside your ISP network and you will never get it fixed.

A very common problem that looks like a network problem is if a game has issue in a video routine. Some games will actually tell you that the ping time has a spike when what really happened is that the program got very busy doing critical video processing and didn't bother to check if the network data was sitting in the buffer. When it finally got around to looking it added all the extra time to network delay rather than reporting it as video delay.

This is purely a guess though since it is very common could be many thing from disk issue or memory.

So really do careful testing to rule out network issues but then I would see what changing video drivers or settings does. It would be nice if games had a nice diagnostic panel but I am sure the hackers would use it. Many of the speed hacks you see are related to abusing the network prediction and artificially introducing and removing latency.
pinged google dns while playing 0% packet loss I don't know what to do next what could be causing this delay Im on windows 7 upgraded everything on my pc I called at&t a couple months ago and they said they were going to do some "rerouting" and it felt so good for a couple days then a couple days after online games started to feel slow and delayed again thats when I noticed I was having problems

Last edited:
I guess blindly change things. Try a different video driver, if you have the newest try a previous one. Try to turn down video settings. It is somewhat strange fortnite does not really put much load on a machine.
Maybe you find something in the event monitor. You get something like a bad disk block and it will look like a stall.

Mar 10, 2021
I guess blindly change things. Try a different video driver, if you have the newest try a previous one. Try to turn down video settings. It is somewhat strange fortnite does not really put much load on a machine.
Maybe you find something in the event monitor. You get something like a bad disk block and it will look like a stall.
I've changed almost everything at this point thats why I said it has to be something on the ISP/Router side cause I changed every single part from my pc from the power supply to even the cpu and now I got a god pc but still feeling that delay when playing online, my friends pc doesn't feel this delayed and his pc runs at like 3.5ghz mine is 2x as good but with 2x delay my pc is also optimized on windows 7 I noticed my mouse being more responsive on windows 7 but the issue still happens on w10 and w7

The problem is if you actually had a router/ISP issue a ping command will show it. Also if it was a router issue it would affect other machines in your house.

So I didn't look before because you said you have win7 but it appears you are running a very new motherboard. I am surprised you got win7 to run.

There are many models of that motherboard. Do you have the one with the 2.5g ethernet port. There have been all kinds of strange errors with these ports. Generally the newest driver from the intel site fixes it but as they update them some people say the newest is not the best.

Mar 10, 2021
The problem is if you actually had a router/ISP issue a ping command will show it. Also if it was a router issue it would affect other machines in your house.

So I didn't look before because you said you have win7 but it appears you are running a very new motherboard. I am surprised you got win7 to run.

There are many models of that motherboard. Do you have the one with the 2.5g ethernet port. There have been all kinds of strange errors with these ports. Generally the newest driver from the intel site fixes it but as they update them some people say the newest is not the best.
could it be the port from my motherboard? is a z390 I-B (ib stands for ibuy power some "special model") I've tried finding info about the specific model and I couldnt find any is the only thing from my pc that I haven't changed

Mar 10, 2021
That makes things harder but you should be able to see the chipset name in the drivers section of the ethernet. The one that causes all the trouble is I225. If you don't have that one it is likely a 1gbit chipset and those are extremely stable.
yea it says it has
  • Intel® Gigabit LAN
what you think it could be causing this issue? should I just get a new motherboard and try? my internet feels instant on my phone like I click on a link and it wont even give time to load but on my pc it takes like 3-4 seconds

That looks like a normal gigabit chip. The 2.5g ones say something different.

Generally it is easier when some tool show a error other than just a game. Do other games do the same thing.

I think fortnite will run under linux. I am not sure how well it will run if you attempt to use one USB boot images. Those run completely from the USB so will not be high performance. I guess if you are willing to reinstall OS you could actually load linux on the drive and then load windows back. There likely is also a way to dual boot both OS but it has been a while since I tried that and microsoft has a bad habit of messing stuff up.

I really don't know until you can get something to show the problem other than the game it is going to be hard to fix.

Reactions: ASHGARD7
Mar 10, 2021

Generally it is easier when some tool show a error other than just a game. Do other games do the same thing.

I think fortnite will run under linux. I am not sure how well it will run if you attempt to use one USB boot images. Those run completely from the USB so will not be high performance. I guess if you are willing to reinstall OS you could actually load linux on the drive and then load windows back. There likely is also a way to dual boot both OS but it has been a while since I tried that and microsoft has a bad habit of messing stuff up.

I really don't know until you can get something to show the problem other than the game it is going to be hard to fix.
Ok so another person found out what is going on.. when I ping google dns I get 0 packet loss but when I ping epicgames ip and all their routes I get this
1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms (my ip)
2 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 104-55-180-1.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net [104.55.180.1]
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 17 ms 15 ms 16 ms 12.123.34.226
5 13 ms 15 ms 15 ms 12.122.28.125
6 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms 12.123.43.209
7 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms 12.244.0.26
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 *

I already contacted my ISP and talked about it but I still see some req time out.. like 4-5 but it made me have so much less delay, I don't know how to not have those req timed out when pinging epic games :/ maybe I should contact my ISP again ?

Mar 10, 2021

currently getting a ton of packet loss in game 40-50% when playing fortnite :/
View: https://imgur.com/a/TW9Q0LT#ZVc7Qj9