Feeling that something is bottle necking my speed

Whitizo

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014
Hey guys. I'm terrible when it comes to how Internet speeds work and stuff so I've come to ask you guys. I have tried contacting the support for my ISP and they told me nothing was wrong. After 3 hours of waiting on the phone aswell.

So I have an up to 24mb/s DSL connection. I'm connected wirelessly from the modem provided by the ISP I have a router connected to my pc which claims to be 65 mb/s. My phone line speed is apparently 16320 kbps according to my ISP's support team. But I have never get anything more than 1.7 mb/s I use a download manager for downloading stuff on Google Chrome and it has made it to like 1.820 or something like that. This has only happened to me once and other than that is never reaches anything more than 1.700 I have checked all modem settings on the 192.168 webpage and it's running on full power. No settings to leave it at that speed or anything. I have considered trying to get a phone line wired to my room and putting the modem there to have a wired connection into my computer and see if that'll fix my problem but seen as my pc is upstairs that's a lot of work getting it neatly brought up there through the house.
Would anyone be able to describe what my problem is with this little bit of info?

Thanks.

Solution
I don't think that you will get the exact download speed that you are 'capable' of. I am not sure how to explain it so please read below.
http://www.howtogeek.com/181879/ask-htg-why-is-my-download-speed-slower-than-the-internet-i-pay-for/

Rafi Khan

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
I don't think that you will get the exact download speed that you are 'capable' of. I am not sure how to explain it so please read below.
http://www.howtogeek.com/181879/ask-htg-why-is-my-download-speed-slower-than-the-internet-i-pay-for/

Solution

ksarex

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
That article would be informative, read it... Short answer is that there is a difference between Mbps(Megabits per second) and Megabytes per second (which what you see when downloading). 8 Mbps = 1 Megabyte per second. In the real world you will achieve downloads speeds(mega bytes per sec) at 1/10 of the Mbps your modem has synced to. So you are ok with what you get.

Rafi Khan

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
Also after reading the OP again I noticed how he mentioned his PC says 65mb/s. Are you connected to your router wirelessly or by etherner. What model router do you have? (It usually says on the bottom) If you prefer wireless connections then its best that you get a 300mbps N Speed or greater router.

Thanks!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Lan is a mess at best. There is a whole host of things always in the way of dl speeds. Firewalls, proxys, IPv4 settings, QoS, bandwidth priorities and even little things like cheap old Cat5 350 patch wiring instead of Cat5e 500 or even Cat6 patch wires connecting modem to router. This is also dependent on length of wire between the phone box and the modem etc, so while the ISP may say it's within tolerances, that's their boundaries, not necessarily what you as an end user would prefer.

That all said, it's also entirely dependent on the dl site to begin with. You can only dl something at the best possible output of the upload site. My cable is rated at 50MB/s dl capability. I average 1-4 MB/s at best simply due to the websites inability to output the info fast enough. Best I ever saw was 13, at 4am from Adobe.

Check your settings, check or replace any questionable wiring/connections etc, but the end result will probably be not as good as you would like, but considering all that's in the way, it's what you're going to get at best.

Whitizo

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014
Thanks for all the help but I ended up getting a fibre optic package for like 10 euro a month more and now I'm getting anywhere between 3-5mb/s on my wireless connection so my download speed is much better than I've ever wanted