[SOLVED] Feels like a unfixable issue currently, does anyone know if this is a windows issue?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xMecki

Prominent
Mar 28, 2020
Ok, so my PC has been triggering tf out of me the past 3weeks, ive been onto multiple forums asking for help, asked close tech savy friends for help and no one has a clue whats wrong with my PC its confused everyone.

Hardware
Geforce rtx 2080 ti gaming x trio
850w gold 80 corsair psu
Kraken x72 water cooling
M.2 1tb samsung evo
H700i case
7 mounted case fans
I9 9900k 3.6GHz cpu
2tb hdd 500gb sdd
Maximus hero xi mb
System is 64bit

Ok so to sum this up ill list everything ive tried, my issue being that my system restarts with no error, just boots back up into the log in page. Ive spent 3 damn weeks troubleshooting this with help and nothings worked and just to say where I am at right now, I am confident this is a Windows issue but my minds been changing bc everytime i fix something it continues but im honestly kinda clueless and done with this system rn.

- To start this off I figured it was a PSU ossue due to kernal power logs in ky windows logs so i bought a new PSU, installed everything from scratch, once booted the issues continued

- Next, my GPU needs 2x 8pins and a 6pin cable, so instead of using 1 6+2 to cover the 2 8pins and an additional 6+2 for the last 6 pin I added 3x 6+2 cables incase it was power related still. No success.

- Then, I reinstalled Windows using the dowbload tool online so my files and apps etc were still safe, again didnt work, restarts started again.

- Nvidia drivers, I uninstalled them all using ddu then reinstalled them back on, made progress tbh, the system didnt restart within 5mins of starting up a game, but restarted over a number of hours later, if i ran stress tests then it would crash within 15mins using valley benchmark.

- Temps, volts etc I checked these using HWInfo, HWmonitor, core temps etc the temps were fine while using valley benchmark along with the power, volts.

- Overclocks, I actually did this earlier on but forgot to add it, everything was set to default, mem clocks, gpu clocks, bios clocks, all reset, turbo was on in bios and ran auto at 4.7GHz, caused restarts still, i disabled turbo and forced 3.6GHz/x36 to be ran, still restarted. Sometimes restarts would go into a state where the gpu fans would power upto 100% as if its using power or overheating.

- Ran virus programmes, also ram ccleaner to fic registry and broken files, no viruses found and no fix to the restarts.

- Wanted to get the RAM out of the way so flashed Memtest86 onto a usb and ran it for 5 hours getting 0 errors from all 4 tests and all 4 sticks.

- I have also reapplied thermal paste to both the CPU and GPU.

- drives, I disconnected my hdd and sdd while leaving in the m.2, still crashed, put in the hdd and toon out the m.2 still restarted. (I still have windows on my hdd due to it being what i used before upgrading, I rarely use the hdd or connect it).

- Ran Prime95 - where i saw issues, cpu was running at 95° after 15mins of stress testing, found out that my kraken radiator fans where connected to different slots, fixed it and got the temps down. Still crashes with low temps.

- Downloaded Pop Os onto a flash drive so i could stress test in linux to rule out a windows issue, ran the stress test for 5 hours without any crashes, closed the stress test and went to sleep leaving idle, woke up and still no crashes on the system, boot back into windows and oh hey lemme crash the system again. (Reason why i believe this has to be a windows issue as ive already troubleshooted every piece of hardware apart from the mb)

- also done alot of things in cmd which i cant fully remember, but ive done sfc scans, ive done drive scans, ive installed drive software.

With the linux test going smoothly i feel like my last option is to fully reset windows and get rid of all my apps etc and hope it fixes, Im not sure what else I can really do, the 2 things I think i have it pinned down to are windows or my gpu, I dont think itll be the cpu as it passed a cpu stress test for 5hours on linux while it crashed on windows and there were no bent pins so everything was good there, also sometimes say after running valley it lasted 30mins in valley before restarting, then when it came back on the restarts happened every few mins on idle, gpu fans powered upto 100% so that also what makes me wonder if its a gpu temp issue, but in HW the temps didnt pass 80° so im confused.

Im out of ideas and would appreciate anyones input on this because rn I feel like ive done everything apart from resetting windows compmetely and changing the gpu for longer (i ran the test with a roomates gpu and it got to 30mins without crashing before i closed it but id need to extend that to make sure its not my gpu thats an issue)

Solution
It's just placing the mobo on a non conductive surface, ie breadboard, and connect just the essential hardware and cables.
The fix turned out to just be a gpu issue, had seen it happening for a while but the fans would only turn on at after the gpu hits 60° and then the fan speed would be running at like 30% maybe if that, so there was never enough cool air to stop the temps from rising too fast, so i got msi afterburner again and ramped up the speeds to 100% and since then its been all good, max temp while gaking is usually 60° now but i do plan on buying a new rtx 2080 as i feel like this one possibly has thermal issue or just something wrong in general with its cooling

xMecki

Prominent
Mar 28, 2020
Hmm so it's not getting any better. Try clear cmos with only two ram sticks in 2nd and 4th slot from cpu.
An issue ive had before, when in bios the screen would go completely black but there would be no restart, just a no diplay adapter msg while the mb still says its fine and in bios, one that confuses me, but it usually fixes if i restart

Edit: Ran valley as it seems to crash the system quicker and well restarted within 60seconds of opening it up

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Will do, think its possible that the high temps could have caused the additional errors?

The cpu would throttle to protect itself but yeah maybe.
An issue ive had before, when in bios the screen would go completely black but there would be no restart, just a no diplay adapter msg while the mb still says its fine and in bios, one that confuses me, but it usually fixes if i restart

That's not good. Leans towards Windows not being the issue huh.

I'm just wondering whether you might have a bent cpu pin. If Reinstalling Windows doesn't work, check this. If need thermal paste, Noctua NH1 is pretty up there in quality.

xMecki

Prominent
Mar 28, 2020
The cpu would throttle to protect itself but yeah maybe.

That's not good. Leans towards Windows not being the issue huh.

I'm just wondering whether you might have a bent cpu pin. If Reinstalling Windows doesn't work, check this. If need thermal paste, Noctua NH1 is pretty up there in quality.
Did check the pins on the cpu but as far as i saw there wasnt any bent pins, did try using a flashlight to make sure but I could be wrong and may have missed it, ill do a full reset and see what happens

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Just checking. Do you mean a fresh install? Because reset is different and would consider a fresh reinstall meaning booting off usb stick with Windows install files on it created by media creation tool and doing a full wipe.

Last edited:

xMecki

Prominent
Mar 28, 2020
Just checking. Do you mean a fresh install? Because reset is different and would consider a fresh reinstall meaning booting off usb stick with Windows install files on it created by media creation tool and doing a full wipe.
ngl I did click reset completely through windows but it came up saying there was a problem resetting so it didnt work, so ill be able to do it with a usb now lmao, should i install my hdd and sdd again while i also have the m.2 in also just so i can wipe both windows os on there

Colif

Win 11 Master
if its crashing with no errors in windows, its not windows to blame.
Linux doesn't stress out PC as much as windows can

Has op tried removing GPU and running off the motherboard connectors to see if it is the GPU to blame. If you still get the problem, it can't be GPU

xMecki

Prominent
Mar 28, 2020

Has op tried removing GPU and running off the motherboard connectors to see if it is the GPU to blame. If you still get the problem, it can't be GPU
Ive tested a friends gpu and had the crashes keep occurring afterwards, id assume its the cpu or mb but im planning to check the pins on the mb

boju

Titan
Ambassador
ngl I did click reset completely through windows but it came up saying there was a problem resetting so it didnt work, so ill be able to do it with a usb now lmao, should i install my hdd and sdd again while i also have the m.2 in also just so i can wipe both windows os on there

Install Windows on the drive you want and connect the other drive later and format it in Windows. Or format/delete partitions first on both drives in the Windows installer then disconnect the drive you don't want to reinstall on.

xMecki

Prominent
Mar 28, 2020

My main issue is that say if I run Prime95 with core temp open, at the 10min mark my cpu temp jumps from a solid 75° straight upto 100° within a few seconds, power also increase by like 30w, so id assume its more a cpu issue, but I do still need to try the igpu fully, ive just been trying to figure out the heat issue currently

Edit: ill just try the igpu now, the system crashed after downloading a simple file like hwinfo off google, im just hoping its not a cpu and gpu issue as i dont want to be down £1.6k without warranty

Last edited:

xMecki

Prominent
Mar 28, 2020

So im doing the igpu test with valkey benchmark and around 7mins in the sounds just turned off along with the screen flashing black once or twice, fps was always at 3-4fps while im running it on ultra, no crashes but idk if the screen going black was normal? Definately wasnt part of valley though. Also does it mean anything if my core clocks are fluctating from 800MHz to 4700MHz? Will add some pics below and im about to try prime again . View: https://imgur.com/gallery/SVznXqW
will edit and leave another link in the same post when i have pics from the prime95 results

Prime 95 test results so far, gunna keep it running for aslong as i can, test started at 14mins, just didnt restart HWinfo to reset the timer View: http://imgur.com/gallery/rFljeNO

but currently 16mins into the test and the temps have decreased down to high 50s, 58being the average temp across all cores,

20mins into the test and im not really sure whats happening, I got a no display msg like when the system restarts but after clicking back on the screen everything came back up and it flashed black a few times but the test seems to be still running, stable temps, id assume igpu can do this? I have sleep on never.

Last edited:

xMecki

Prominent
Mar 28, 2020
Colif makes a good point. If clean Windows doesn't help then its sounding more likely hardware, possibly motherboard or cpu. Have you tried running only igpu?
Updated my last post above with using the igpu and temps etc, any idea why the gpu would cause the cpu to overheat whether its a power issue or something?

xMecki

Prominent
Mar 28, 2020
Could be the gpu being another heat source, heat is building up in the case? I had a look at your case, is the front panel on? That could be restricting air flow.

The cpu will start to throttle nearing on 100c.
Yeah see the thing is, my front pannel is on but i literally have the sideback pannel off where all my cables and and the front glass off while the temp is pretty cold in my room, although i can understand what youre saying bc the front pannel is basically my intake whil i have the exhaust up top. Do you think having my intake up top would be more beneficial due to air being pushed down onto the gpu or would it not make a huge difference? I do have 7 fans also which i thought would have been enough, im pretty sure theyre all custom set on 100% speed

xMecki

Prominent
Mar 28, 2020
With the side panel off, top exhaust as intake might do something but ideally you'd want cold air coming in at the lowest point pushing hot air up.

With AVX instructions disabled in prime, are temps lower?
Not with the gpu in, with avx disabled the temps kept hitting 100° wit my rtx 2080 in, with the igpu and running prime the temps are stable, 60° average while having points where it pushes to 82 max, 2 cores pushing 87 and 86 and just to note primes been running for 2hours now no crashes but some display bugs like the screen will flash black twice every so often

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Alright so to try rethink this, how hot has the cpu been getting while doing other things like games? I'm wondering all along this might've been heat related and possibly affecting motherboard VRM too. Your cooler is adequate if operating properly. Perhaps the radiator needs to be else where? And with front panel open and side panel closed so air is moving more rapidly in one direction within the confines allowing air not to stagnate. The pump is pumping properly yeah? All tubes are warm?

Maybe have a look at some placement ideas for the radiator.

xMecki

Prominent
Mar 28, 2020
Alright so to try rethink this, how hot has the cpu been getting while doing other things like games? I'm wondering all along this might've been heat related and possibly affecting motherboard VRM too. Your cooler is adequate if operating properly. Perhaps the radiator needs to be else where? And with front panel open and side panel closed so air is moving more rapidly in one direction within the confines allowing air not to stagnate. The pump is pumping properly yeah? All tubes are warm?

Maybe have a look at some placement ideas for the radiator.
From what ive checked, the radiator gets warm so it seems to be working properly, both the wpump and cooler fans are on, liquid temp is good also, my plan currently is to try and mount a extra fan which just sits on my gpu pointing at the vrm just to give it some extra cooling, ill have to jump in the bios and make sure the fan is set to max speed as it isnt too fast and was my old case fan, its also 140mm so pretty big, also gaming was fine before hand tbh, never really noticed any issues or heating issues, the system literally just crashed out of nowhere tbh, at one point during the restarts i was able to game for a good few hours before each restart, this was around a week ago

xMecki

Prominent
Mar 28, 2020
Yeah im not sure how much heat vrms can handle. Try point a fan to them or try get good air flow through the case.
Ok so 15mins into the test and the system restarted again, but ik its not a temps issue as the cou temps averaged around 60-65° towards the end and 78 as a max temp overall, assuming it almost guarentees its a gpu issue but what issue idk, the vrm temp was around 40° also

xMecki

Prominent
Mar 28, 2020
Might be time to start thinking about rma'ing parts if Windows reinstall doesn't help.
Yeah sadly my cpu came as oem so didnt have any warranty and my gpu was bought off ebay so im not too sure if ill be lucky enough to get a refund and most likely will have to buy the new parts

TRENDING THREADS