[SOLVED] Feels like I am still on old GPU

Aug 3, 2020
Today I just installed my RTX 3070 ultra and it feels like I am still on my 2060
Low CPU and GPU usage. So far no games have made it above 45% on either
I have tried everything but it feels like I've blown money out the window completely.
Destiny 2 I am getting even lower frames for some unknown reason??????

Build.
Ryzen 7 3700X (I have 5800X but no thermal paste)
RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra
ASUS TUF X570 mobo
G skill ram 3600 mhz 16g
EVGA gold 650W

I've spent hours on this and I have work tomorrow. Will come back later please any suggestions

Aug 3, 2020
Okay so I updated my chipset drivers and such and I downloaded CPU-Z. So far nothing much has changed but I really want to find the root of this issue
I see people with worse setups than me and absolutely crushing games (No offense to anyone)
This is the 3rd time I have had an fps problem with this PC and I wouldn't put it past myself to throw it out of a plane.
Im a little nervous to update my BIOS though. I haven't found a solid guide to get me through deleting the old BIOS and Updating the new without bricking my PC. (Like finding what's compatible with my graphics card.

Aug 3, 2020
I am seriously close to giving up on PC gaming. I have replaced parts for my PC in the span of me having it for one year and nothing has changed. The only thing I still have from my original build is the RAM and case. I have had the same problem with every part I’ve replaced and UserBenchmark still places me in the 15th percentile on average in each. It doesn’t even say I have a GPU. Ive dumped way too much money into a PC and now I’m considering selling for parts. If I do not get the fps and quality I paid for I’m just sticking with playstation. This feels as if I have the parts to a lambo and when I put it together I get a camry.

Build :
Ryzen 7 3700X
RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra
ASUS TUF X570 Wifi
G Skill RAM 3200mhz 16g
Samsung 1TB SSD
EVGA Gold 650 W

I have done everything. I’ve downloaded every driver known to man. Ran stress tests. DDU uninstall and clean install. Chipset drivers. Prioritized my games. NOTHING has worked to give me the quality I paid for. I know I sound like a dick typing this whole thing but I just want my moneys worth. Not a single thread has worked for me. I’ve done CMOS reset. The only thing I haven’t done is update my BIOS but that won’t bring me up to my normal FPS which is currently halved at the moment

Aug 3, 2020
What model was the original power supply?
What is the exact model of this one?
Have you checked your temps?
Have you checked your voltages?

I do not remember the exact models of my PSUs. I am at work rn. What should I be looking for in them? My old one I remember was a bronze 650W
When I ran tests two days ago my cpu and gpu didn’t hit over 55 degrees. The only voltage I can remember is my gpu which is 1.2
What should the numbers be for volts on each?

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) Performance Results - UserBenchmark
it says i do not have a gpu???
BTW I Only have one cable connected to both power ports for the GPU. Could that be the usage problem.
Try not to use userbenchmark for benchmarking, they are insanely biased against AMD, and since you have an AMD processor UBM will deliberately lower your final score. I'd say use 3DMark for benchmarking.
if you don't believe me, see le
an article https://ownsnap.com/userbenchmark-i...ite-has-a-zero-credibility-in-tech-community/
and a video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQSBj2LKkWg&t=1s

I do not remember the exact models of my PSUs. I am at work rn. What should I be looking for in them? My old one I remember was a bronze 650W
When I ran tests two days ago my cpu and gpu didn’t hit over 55 degrees. The only voltage I can remember is my gpu which is 1.2
What should the numbers be for volts on each?
The reason I ask is...650 watts is the minimum NVidia recommends...so a marginal power supply may cause problems....and from what I've seen there are good EVGA models...and bad EVGA models.
Those temps seem fine.
The voltages can usually be checked with an program called HWInfo.
You would run it....then apply a load to the system....like run a demanding game.....and then check the voltages.....especially the low ones (it records the high and low voltages...but usually they go ow when there's a problem).
You don't want to vary more than 5% from +12, +5 and + 3.3 in the high or low direction.

Aug 3, 2020
The reason I ask is...650 watts is the minimum NVidia recommends...so a marginal power supply may cause problems....and from what I've seen there are good EVGA models...and bad EVGA models.
Those temps seem fine.
The voltages can usually be checked with an program called HWInfo.
You would run it....then apply a load to the system....like run a demanding game.....and then check the voltages.....especially the low ones (it records the high and low voltages...but usually they go ow when there's a problem).
You don't want to vary more than 5% from +12, +5 and + 3.3 in the high or low direction.
alright I will check but can there be any other reasons for this issue? I’m really struggling to find the roots to this problem

alright I will check but can there be any other reasons for this issue? I’m really struggling to find the roots to this problem
I've seen low voltages cause things like this,
Check them. If they are fine we know it's not the power supply.
I'd like to see you get it running. PC gaming rocks if you have a stable system.
...and if you have good hardware....stable systems tend to stay stable.
I have three gaming PCs that I haven't had a major problem with ever that I can recall.
I actually have two PCs that have been running stable for 28 years 24/7 and all I've done is change the hard drives and power supplies.

Try not to use userbenchmark for benchmarking, they are insanely biased against AMD, and since you have an AMD processor UBM will deliberately lower your final score. I'd say use 3DMark for benchmarking.
For benchmarking scores, yes.
But Userbenchmark is also an easy diagnostic tool that can sometimes point out the issue very quickly. If you just pay attention to the percentage score for each component (not the bench percentage) you'll do alright.

I'm concerned about the OP saying that they 'downloaded every driver known to man'. Unless they downloaded every driver directly from the component manufacturer website they need to immediately run a full virus/malware scan.

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
For benchmarking scores, yes.
But Userbenchmark is also an easy diagnostic tool that can sometimes point out the issue very quickly. If you just pay attention to the percentage score for each component (not the bench percentage) you'll do alright.

I'm concerned about the OP saying that they 'downloaded every driver known to man'. Unless they downloaded every driver directly from the component manufacturer website they need to immediately run a full virus/malware scan.
not to mention the pain to uninstall all these and the potential performance penalty from all the apps clogging the system up

Jun 9, 2021
At least let the UBM finish?

I'd uninstall all that you've installed driver wise - make sure your GFX card is powered correctly.
Download and run ccleaner, and use it to clean the HDD and the registry. install only the required drivers and run UBM again and paste the link so people can see what's happening.

Jun 9, 2021
Seems odd that your CPU, memory and SSD are all reporting such low results - thats not UBM being bias.. theres something wrong, everything in your rig is considerably newer and more powerful than mine - but as it stands my old rig would be considerably faster

Aug 3, 2020
Yes, you need both ports connected. Make/model of PSU needs to be known here. 650w bronze really doesn't tell us much.
What I know for right now is that my power supply currently connected is the EVGA G5 Series 650W ATX12V/EPS12V 80+ Gold. My old PSU was a 650w Bronze but i do not remember the exact name because I am working

And for the record I did not download random drivers I was just emphasizing I did a lot of driver downloading and cleaning trying to find this issue. I only downloaded drivers off the manufacturer websites

I have had this issue before on UserBenchmark where it’s considerably good equipment but it comes back real low on the scale. I figured since I upgraded everything but RAM it would be normal again but that’s not the case. Do I have the wreck it ralph touch or something?

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure if this is it...

Supernova G5 650W ...but this is on this list as Tier D • Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems

Although...you need to have all the power sockets populated on the GPU.
Try that before you do anything else.

Aug 3, 2020
I'm not 100% sure if this is it...

Supernova G5 650W ...but this is on this list as Tier D • Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems

Although...you need to have all the power sockets populated on the GPU.
Try that before you do anything else.
They are both plugged in. I was wondering since it was one wire and the 2 plugs branched off of the same cord. Would I instead need to use 2 Cords separately

Many PSU's have 2 plugs, on a single wire. Yes it is best to use 2 separate wires, though.
I agree, but if you have issues try both.

I had a strange issue with an RX 5700 XT when putting together my nephew's system. With two separate aux PSU power cables the GPU would have regular lag spikes. It was a head scratcher for only 15 mins because I then tried running it from one daisy chained power cable and the issue cleared up instantly. It's still running perfectly. I was thinking something like a power phase issue but that doesn't make sense. It's still a mystery as to why it was 'fixed' this way.

Aug 3, 2020
I agree, but if you have issues try both.

I had a strange issue with an RX 5700 XT when putting together my nephew's system. With two separate aux PSU power cables the GPU would have regular lag spikes. It was a head scratcher for only 15 mins because I then tried running it from one daisy chained power cable and the issue cleared up instantly. It's still running perfectly. I was thinking something like a power phase issue but that doesn't make sense. It's still a mystery as to why it was 'fixed' this way.
So out of all this what is a good checklist to set up in order. Should I prioritize software before actually checking the hardware and wires etc.?
Thank you guys for the help. When i get home from work it looks like I have a lot of maintenance to do.