[SOLVED] feels like I lost more space than necessary

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hi, yesterday Genshin Impact game made a large update. Basically the game folder became 9 gb larger than before.

But it feels like I lost 20 gb of space instead of 9 gb.

is there a way to check the health of my SSD, if bad sectors appeared or something similar to that.

SSD is approximately 2 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may not be the game, I had a problem a little while ago where I would lose space day by day and I could never explain it. I lost a bit more than you though, more like 500GB. I downloaded Treesize and found it was SQL Server doing it, turns out there was a bug in it which Microsoft released a patch for. It may well not be your game, it may be something else and it's just a coincidence.
https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free?ca=1

Reactions: Tac 25

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@Nighthawk117

that's brutal losing 500GB of space on your drive. I hope you got that fixed already.

anyway, solved my problem simply by uninstalling the game, then reinstalling it fresh. There was a big event a month ago.. I assume something went wrong with the patching, or the files from the previous event either did not get removed, or a bloat happened somewhere.

@Nighthawk117

that's brutal losing 500GB of space on your drive. I hope you got that fixed already.

anyway, solved my problem simply by uninstalling the game, then reinstalling it fresh. There was a big event a month ago.. I assume something went wrong with the patching, or the files from the previous event either did not get removed, or a bloat happened somewhere.
Yeah I ran out of space on my OS drive so was forced into doing something about it, got it fixed a while ago now though. That's good you've found the cause (y)