[SOLVED] Female Displayport to male HDMI existance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 9, 2020
Hey all,
Very weird seeming minor issue.

New graphics card but old monitors, I have only one HDMI out, so I need to convert from displayport to HDMI to connect both monitors.
Not a big deal, plenty of info.
BUT I also need a new long cable (for reasons), and I would rather get a new displayport cable, cause that's where everything is going...

but there is NO option for a female DP to male HDMI adapter. In fact all adapters in this area are male to female exclusively... this feels dumb, but perhaps I am missing some science? or have I just failed in my googling task.
(i.e. all adapters require that the cable be the output side).

Thanks for any help!
(p.s. yes I know I could, and I'm sure will have to, daisy chain or buy a single cable with two male ends... both are less financially efficient in the long run than my desired solution)

Last edited:
Solution
post your system specs

what is it you are claiming only has HDMI option? the display(s) or the GPU?
any modern GPU should have at least 3 outputs, usually 2x DP and 1x HDMI.

for this situation you would need DP plugged into and running out from your PC that then has an HDMI port at the end for your display's HDMI cable to connect into.
61Ro88-Wd6L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

this would be male DP to female HDMI, not the other way around that you have stated.
searching on Amazon for "DP to HDMI adapter" will turn up many options for this particular setup.

but what resolution and refresh rate are you trying to reach? if >1080p + >60Hz:
a lot of the adapters will claim 4K 120Hz compatible but...
post your system specs

for this situation you would need DP plugged into and running out from your PC that then has an HDMI port at the end for your display's HDMI cable to connect into.

this would be male DP to female HDMI, not the other way around that you have stated.
searching on Amazon for "DP to HDMI adapter" will turn up many options for this particular setup.

but what resolution and refresh rate are you trying to reach? if >1080p + >60Hz:
a lot of the adapters will claim 4K 120Hz compatible but you will have to ensure your HDMI cable is also compatible. also check reviews to ensure the adapter actually works at stated frequencies.

Solution
Mar 9, 2020
So, long display-port M-F cable, with adapter cable plugged at the end?
And I'm sure DP cables can't be very long.
Pretty good,
Though it means I'll have a double connection when I eventually get a new screen, but you gave me an idea. Female to Female adapter.
It's a 3 daisy chain for now, but no daisy chaining later, and minimal extra cost.

Also, these replies were so fast, I didn't even realize it had happened

Mar 9, 2020
post your system specs

a lot of the adapters will claim 4K 120Hz compatible but you will have to ensure your HDMI cable is also compatible. also check reviews to ensure the adapter actually works at stated frequencies.
Sorry for the lack of clarity,
But yeah, I have 2 displays with only female HDMI ports, and I want to buy a long DP cable (for reasons). and my graphics card (5700xt) has 1xhdmi, so I need to convert from dp to hdmi... not an issue actually, but I would rather buy a long cable that will be more useful in the future (when I want to buy a high-res high freq. monitor), and have a converter for now (always useful too), than buy a long hdmi, and then a long DP later.

That cord pictured will only support either a 2 chord 1 adapter system, or a long HDMI chord system.

Hence my question.

Mar 9, 2020
Well, thanks all. Unless anyone else gets in here, I'm gonna assume I was right, and that bizarrely this product does not exist for a reason I cannot fathom.

Status
Not open for further replies.