Few applications open are after start-up. Driving me insane...

joekenton

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Specs: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit / i5 3570k / 16GB Ram / GTX 560 TI
I have been having this problem since a few days ago. When I start up my pc very few applications will run. When I click on chome in the taskbar the square highlights around it for a few seconds then fades and it does not open. In task manager the process is running, however when I try to end the process it does not end. Some small simple applications will run no problem such as notepad and paint, and windows explorer is also running, however it sometimes freezes. I have done a full system scan with both AVG and Malwarebytes and both found no threats except for some software dll's which I know are safe and have been on my PC for some time. Other notes that might be relevant: My PC is a little dusty, but this does not seem like an over heating issue / sometimes after a start up everything runs fine, this problem is starting to happen more and more though / Sometimes after a while all the applications I clicked one will suddenly pop up, the first normally being a java update, is this related?
Thanks for any help

Solution
Firstly uninstall and reinstall Chrome with an updated version. Secondly uninstall Malwarebytes. It tends to conflict with other antivirus software. Try installing a better antivirus program (e.g. Nod32, Kaspersky). AVG sucks. Check your hdd for errors. Try booting in safe-mode to see if the problem persists. Then..................reply.
Firstly uninstall and reinstall Chrome with an updated version. Secondly uninstall Malwarebytes. It tends to conflict with other antivirus software. Try installing a better antivirus program (e.g. Nod32, Kaspersky). AVG sucks. Check your hdd for errors. Try booting in safe-mode to see if the problem persists. Then..................reply.

Solution

joekenton

Honorable
May 10, 2013

Folks over at Reddit helped me out but I'll keep this in mind if the problem comes back. Thanks.